Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2017 7:42:50 AM EDT
Hey guys, I'll be in downtown Pittsburgh for work most of next week. I have a KY CCW which is recognized by PA, just wanted to check in to see if there were any tips on little facets of PA law for carry I may not be aware of or if Pittsburgh has any special considerations for carry, places to avoid, etc. I'll be near the convention center downtown. I checked handgunlaw.us and didn't see anything of note but I figured better safe than sorry.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 2:11:34 PM EDT
[#1]
You'll find the general area of the convention center to be mostly safe, but situational awareness and all. And CCW is gtg unless you're entering a building with metal detectors which some buildings have -- some public/entertainment related buildings do, but most do not. 

Are you flying into town or driving?
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You'll find the general area of the convention center to be mostly safe, but situational awareness and all. And CCW is gtg unless you're entering a building with metal detectors which some buildings have -- some public/entertainment related buildings do, but most do not. 

Are you flying into town or driving?
View Quote
All this.

Pittsburgh is a really safe city.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 9:32:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Not much goes on in downtown pittsburgh .  Maybe because there is not much business and stores open in the evening in downtown.   That's probably why there isn't too much violent crime in dahntahn.
The bad areas are some of the surrounding neighborhoods and suburbs.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 10:09:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Someone put up a mocking billboard a bunch of years back asking that the last person out of the city each night please remember to turn off the lights.

They aren't kidding.   The city pretty much closes at 6pm.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 11:44:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Stay out of the Hill District and you will survive your trip.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:35:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Are you going to "rapid"?
I'll be wondering around, Tuesday.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 7:36:51 PM EDT
[#7]
most likely going to "the Church Brew Works" Monday evening.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:48:37 PM EDT
[#8]
OP must be going for RAPID
I am going to try an sneak away from work one afternoon, and have a look.  i got an admission pass from a testing lab I send work to.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:10:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'll be in Pittsburgh next week too.

PPG Paints Arena a no-go?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 6:58:23 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No go. The arena employs metal detectors.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
most likely going to "the Church Brew Works" Monday evening.
View Quote
Excellent choice.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:05:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

And bag and purse checks.

I do take small CHEAP folding knifes in there all the time... haven't lost one yet.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:30:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Hey guys, thanks for the responses. I am indeed going to RAPID (I'm in the industry). Thanks for the heads up on the metal detectors and bag check. Not sure what I'll do there but it looks like leaving the carry piece in the hotel might be my only choice. That sucks. Nevermind I misread, I see that's for PPG Arena.

Glad to hear the area is pretty quiet though. If anybody is going to be at the show PM me, I will be at a booth in the Exhibit hall, stop by and say hey!
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 2:00:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I do take small CHEAP folding knifes in there all the time... haven't lost one yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.  

Wife wants to hit the Warhol Museum and Fallingwater while we're there also.  Any info on those?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:34:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Thanks guys.  

Wife wants to hit the Warhol Museum and Fallingwater while we're there also.  Any info on those?
View Quote
You can walk to the Warhol -- right across 9th or 6th street bridges (7th street bridge is closed for maintenance) -- if you're staying right near the convention center.

As for Falling Water, you're looking at about an hour and half drive from Pittsburgh.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks guys.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys.  

Fallingwater is great.. I got married there, so I go back and visit a lot.

You probably can carry a weapon inside... they don't check, and I could acre less if there is a sign.

all other info is on their website.

There is a lesser known property within 10 miles of Fallingwater, that is a FLW design.  You should go, its awesome too.  http://kentuckknob.com/
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:47:34 PM EDT
[#17]
I would recommend a visit to the John Heinz history center over the warhol, but that's just me.  Pop "art" is not my thing.   Its a very good museum of local history, just a couple hundred yards,  at most, from the convention center.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:03:38 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would recommend a visit to the John Heinz history center over the warhol, but that's just me.  Pop "art" is not my thing.   Its a very good museum of local history, just a couple hundred yards,  at most, from the convention center.
View Quote
Yeah, the History Center is definitely worth the visit.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 7:14:01 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dude, you are missing a golden opportunity to pimp the Warhol.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 8:49:33 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dude, you are missing a golden opportunity to pimp the Warhol.
View Quote
Lol, the current exhibits on display are kind of meh, so I stood down.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You can walk to the Warhol -- right across 9th or 6th street bridges (7th street bridge is closed for maintenance) -- if you're staying right near the convention center.

As for Falling Water, you're looking at about an hour and half drive from Pittsburgh.
View Quote
We'll be there for a couple days so a little drive time here and there isn't a big deal for us.

We're staying on 24th st. near the Carnegie Library.  The place we're staying at looks nice from the interior pics I've seen; hows that neighborhood?

Kentuck Knob might make our list too.  I had no idea there was another FLW house open to the public that close.  Wifey has been talking about maybe doing the Botanic Garden and Conservatory too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Lol, the current exhibits on display are kind of meh, so I stood down.
View Quote
Wifey has decreed there will be a visit to Warhol.  I may not be a very smart man, but I'm smart enough to pick my battles, and thats not one I'm going to win.  
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:29:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
We'll be there for a couple days so a little drive time here and there isn't a big deal for us.

We're staying on 24th st. near the Carnegie Library.  The place we're staying at looks nice from the interior pics I've seen; hows that neighborhood?

Kentuck Knob might make our list too.  I had no idea there was another FLW house open to the public that close.  Wifey has been talking about maybe doing the Botanic Garden and Conservatory too.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You are staying in a neighborhood called the South Side.  Its a pretty good area now.   It used to be steel mills along the river and all the workers lived there... the mills have been gone 30 years and now its a lot of bars and shopping and college age kids....... it attracts the under 35 crowd.  Its a fine area to stay.  

I realize that you are not the OP.... are you travelling with him?
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:10:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
You are staying in a neighborhood called the South Side.  Its a pretty good area now.   It used to be steel mills along the river and all the workers lived there... the mills have been gone 30 years and now its a lot of bars and shopping and college age kids....... it attracts the under 35 crowd.  Its a fine area to stay.  

I realize that you are not the OP.... are you travelling with him?
View Quote
Unless the OP is my wife, posting from an account I didn't know about, no.  

But it was a timely post for me - we get there tomorrow night.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 10:50:01 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Wifey has decreed there will be a visit to Warhol.  I may not be a very smart man, but I'm smart enough to pick my battles, and thats not one I'm going to win.  
View Quote
What day are you planning on visiting the place?
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 1:00:04 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What day are you planning on visiting the place?
View Quote
We'll be there tomorrow.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top