Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/3/2016 9:34:22 PM EDT
I have a house in Pennsylvania in my name where I live but my driver's license is from South Dakota (I just got out of the military). Until I get situated, I want to hold onto my SD license, especially since I got my CCW in that state and don't want the hassle of doing it over. I've have had no problems buying ammo, but I'm thinking about selling some of my old stock off and upgrading. Will purchasing at a store/FFL be an issue for me?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 1:26:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I think you will be ok with military ID. SUPERMOOSE will let you know for sure.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 9:13:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Long guns, yes.

Handguns, no. Unless you have some type of PA photo ID.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 12:59:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Long guns, yes.

View Quote

Pretty much this.

Technically, you should be able to buy anything - you live here, not SD anymore.  But you'll be hard pressed to find an FFL who is going to risk their ass to sell you a handgun without a valid ID that shows your PA residence.  And while an FFL can sell a long gun to someone from another state (which is what most FFL's are going to consider you, until you get a valid PA ID), you may find some FFL's won't even take the risk of selling you a long gun.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have a passport you may be able to find a FFL that will accept that along with your mortgage papers or a utility bill. According to ATF that combination is acceptable form of ID and proof of residency for the purposes of purchasing a firearm.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Long guns, yes.

View Quote

I can have SD mail me a new ID with my updated PA address on the front. Will this suffice?
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:57:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you have a passport you may be able to find a FFL that will accept that along with your mortgage papers or a utility bill. According to ATF that combination is acceptable form of ID and proof of residency for the purposes of purchasing a firearm.
View Quote

I have a passport and a utility bill(Internet/TV). Out of all things, why a passport lol? Bigger question though, where is the regulations/law that I can reference? I plan on printing it out and showing it to any dealer I go to, so we're on the same page and respecting the law.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 4:58:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Pretty much this.

Technically, you should be able to buy anything - you live here, not SD anymore.  But you'll be hard pressed to find an FFL who is going to risk their ass to sell you a handgun without a valid ID that shows your PA residence.  And while an FFL can sell a long gun to someone from another state (which is what most FFL's are going to consider you, until you get a valid PA ID), you may find some FFL's won't even take the risk of selling you a long gun.
View Quote

I can have SD mail me a new ID with my updated PA address on the front. Will this suffice?

P.S. Quoted other dude by mistake, anyone is welcome to answer.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:11:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have a passport and a utility bill(Internet/TV). Out of all things, why a passport lol? Bigger question though, where is the regulations/law that I can reference? I plan on printing it out and showing it to any dealer I go to, so we're on the same page and respecting the law.
View Quote

ATF requires government issued photo ID, a passport is just the most common next to a drivers license so that's why I mentioned it.

Here's the info straight from ATF website you can show to a FFL who may not be aware of this: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-form-identification-must-licensee-obtain-transferee-firearm

ETA: utility bills/mortgage papers may only be acceptable in some states, I'm not sure about PA, but a PA property tax bill should be fine in conjunction with a passport, since it is obviously a "government issued document"
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 5:57:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

ATF requires government issued photo ID, a passport is just the most common next to a drivers license so that's why I mentioned it.

Here's the info straight from ATF website you can show to a FFL who may not be aware of this: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what-form-identification-must-licensee-obtain-transferee-firearm

ETA: utility bills/mortgage papers may only be acceptable in some states, I'm not sure about PA, but a PA property tax bill should be fine in conjunction with a passport, since it is obviously a "government issued document"
View Quote

Perfect. I'll keep a copy of this along with my other documents with me and call in advance to avoid issues. You guys are the ****!
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#10]
You need current, government issued photo identification with your current residence address. If your photo ID does not have your current residence address you will need some form of government documentation that shows your current residence address.

Welcome to PA. Now change your license over to here and get a LTCF.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 7:13:58 AM EDT
[#11]
From pennDot;

DMV > Driver Services > New Resident-Relocation Information > Moving Into PA > Info For New Residents

info for new residents

Non-Commercial Driver's License

All new residents with out-of-state non-commercial driver's licenses must obtain a PA Driver's License within 60 days of establishing Pennsylvania residency. To apply, you must appear in person at one of our Driver License Centers. You will be required to surrender your out-of-state driver's license (valid or expired six months or less) before PennDOT can issue you a PA Driver's License. You will need to take a vision-screening test and complete Form DL-180R "Application for Pennsylvania Non-Commercial Driver's License By Out-of-State Non-CDL Driver." In addition, you will need to show proof of identification and residency and your Social Security card. Please visit our  fees page for information on the fee for the product you will be requesting.

Although a knowledge test is not required for new residents with out-of-state driver's licenses which are valid or expired six months or less, The Pennsylvania Driver's Manual is designed to help you become a safe driver and enjoy your driving privilege in our beautiful state.

A previous resident returning to Pennsylvania must meet all the same identification and residency requirements as a customer who has never been a PA resident.

All documents must show the same name and date of birth, or an association between the information on the documents. Additional documentation may be required if a connection between documents cannot be established (e.g. Marriage Certificate, Court Order of name change, Divorce Decree, etc.)

Out-of-state learner's permits cannot be transferred to Pennsylvania. In addition, if your out-of-state driver's license has been expired for more than six months, it cannot be transferred for a Pennsylvania Driver's License. You must apply for a Pennsylvania Learner's Permit and complete all applicable knowledge and skills tests in order to obtain a Pennsylvania Driver's License.
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 1:11:26 PM EDT
[#12]
Just a head's up.
If you're claiming to be a PA resident, you might want to know your SD CCW won't cover you here in PA.
Despite reciprocity and all that, PA requires PA residents to have a PA CCW(LTCF).
I don't know if the Kane conviction changes any of that, but until it does, you're not kosher to be carrying if you're claiming PA residency.

Now that's separate and distinct from what you can probably "get away with", but if you're trying to do this all on the up and up, get your PA license and LTCF ASAP.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:13:48 PM EDT
[#13]
just get a PA DL and a PA LTCF it literally takes 20 minutes and only costs $20 for 5 years.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top