Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2016 8:19:41 PM EDT
trying to put a camping trip together for the ANF for later in May.

Have not had time to do any research.

Looking for suggestions as to where a good spot would be for camping, preferably an area away from others.  It's car camping so I know that limits my choices.  Site needs to be large enough to accomadate a 10x10 canvas tent.
Link Posted: 5/9/2016 7:22:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Been many years since I ventured up into those hills.
I grabbed an atlas of PA that showed all the forest service trails and kept driving around in the back country until I found some trails that weren't gated off. Went out that way a few times....find a spot to stop the truck and set up camp wasn't too much trouble. It's a big forest...plenty of places to put up a tent.

That said, last time I was out that way there was a lot of mining activity going on...be mindful of your surroundings before shooting and building fires.

For reference, I started out in Ridgeway and headed up into the south eastern portion of the forest. I only explored a small part of the overall NF

Curious to hear what others say.
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 6:00:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Talked to someone at the ranger station (Marionville I think).  

His suggestion to me if I want car camping away from others was to head out on FS Roads 160 or 259 and find a dispersed camping spot.  

http://andyarthur.org/explore/other-states/pennsylvania/allegheny-national-forest/forest-road-160-259-dispersed-camping

He also asked me if I had a preference for the north or south region of the forest...clueless as to how to answer that one.

Trip is coming up fast...wish i had more time to prepare and research this...Havent even had a chance to think about food for the week....Chances are I'll just throw a case of MRE's in the car and some freeze dried food.    If nothing else that will keep things simpler.
Link Posted: 5/15/2016 7:27:14 PM EDT
[#3]
It probably isn't going to be difficult at all to find a spot suitable for setting up camp and surviving a few days.
Finding something scenic, or by a water source may be a bit more challenging.

If you can read topo maps, do some homework....figure out what the terrain will be along the service roads...and decide where you want to be. Should be able to identify water sources from maps or google.

Don't sweat it...but I would recommend getting into your target area early enough in the day so that you have plenty of daylight to search out your spot and set up your camp. If you are camping near your vehicle it's a lot easier in some ways because all your gear is right on hand.
Hiking out has its advantages though as you can really wander around until you find a great location.  

You will have a great time either way....just dress appropriately, have some plans for weather, and enjoy your time in the hills.

Take some pics and post them up
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top