Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2016 8:49:13 PM EDT
Wife and I will be visiting Gettysburg in approximately a month. We're already doing a horse back tour of the battlefield and have reservations for dinner at the Dobbin house. What are some of the must see sights? What are the best restaurants? Any good gunshops in the area or on the way there (coming from south of Pittsburgh)?
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 10:00:56 AM EDT
[#1]
We stayed at a b&b, cant rember name but it had damage from the war still. Do the whole Gettysburg thing inside its pretty cool with lots of cannons and guns ect from the era.

Gettysburg trading post was a pretty cool gun Shop.

Dobbin house was ok/just above medicore for food IMO but i am a food snob.

Didnt get to do much else while there with snow and having to come back home for sons b-day party.
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 11:53:48 AM EDT
[#2]
Have dinner one night at this place  Appalachian Brewing Company
Link Posted: 4/10/2016 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the suggestions.
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 8:44:52 AM EDT
[#4]
We did a "Ghost Tour" of the Battlefield and surrounding area the night before we toured the battlefield. The tour is guided by professional storytellers who retell local legends with an historic flair. They also give you quite a bit of history. It was very entertaining and we learned a lot about some of the local legends and stories. One of the tours is done by a local author who has written about Gettysburg.  We've done these tours in other cities such as New Orleans and always found them interesting.

http://www.gettysburgghosttours.com/tours.htm
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:05:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Look into the history of the battle it is truly unbelievable what took place during the battle.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:21:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Redding Hardware if you want to check out some guns.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 12:00:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Redding Hardware if you want to check out some guns.
View Quote

I'll be sure to check them out. Keep the suggestions coming.
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#8]
O'Roarks has pretty good food, & some nice beers on tap.(the pizza shop across the street has a very good bottle selection too.)

The Gary Owen usually has music in the evenings, at least on weekends.

There are a bunch of great shops in downtown, & also wine tasting.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 4:20:11 AM EDT
[#9]
My wife ordered tickets for one of the ghost tours this evening.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 8:41:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Drive a little further (about 30 min)  into Camp Hill and there's a new Field and Stream, very nice store (I know, we're not supposed to like Dick's Sporting).  Drive a little more (15 min from (F&S) into Harrisburg and visit Bass Pro.  Huge store.  10 minutes from Bass Pro and you can be in Hershey.  There's the factory store and chocolate tour (free).  Drive around Hershey and see the Hershey Kiss street lights.  If you like beer, visit Troegg's Brewing there as well.
Link Posted: 4/15/2016 9:14:19 PM EDT
[#11]

This memorial is located in the cemetery annex.  Please visit it. http://gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/other-monuments/friend-to-friend-masonic-memorial/  Its pretty awesome and there is a great lesson to be learned.  This is the only privately funded memorial in any U.S. Park Service park.

This company offers unique tours in a 1936  bus if the weather is nice. http://historictourcompany.com/  

In the center of town, you can get a haircut at a barber shop on one corner, go to dinner on another corner, have a fine cigar across the street, then right next door have a nice ice cream cone.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:29:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Have dinner one night at this place  Appalachian Brewing Company
View Quote

We are finishing a new restaurant down there very close to the Battle Field attractions.  It will be officially opening in the beginning of May.

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 11:13:23 AM EDT
[#13]
It is also possible to tour the battlefield by horseback, which is something that I want to do before I croak.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 3:28:16 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
It is also possible to tour the battlefield by horseback, which is something that I want to do before I croak.
View Quote

We're scheduled to do this. It was a little pricey but we're excited to do it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 6:08:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top