Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2016 2:08:45 PM EDT
My PA License to carry a Firearm expires in a month or so. I originally did this through the mail with Centre County. I understand this process is no longer done through the mail as of sometime in 2011. Mercer County would be the closest one for me coming from NE Ohio. Does anyone here know the ins and outs of the renewal process and if Mercer County is "friendly" in this regard?
Link Posted: 1/28/2016 3:09:29 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm pretty sure renewal can only be done in the county issued since its issued by the county sheriff and not a state agency.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Attorney General site mentions non-resident apply in ANY County. nothing about renewal of course...

If you have another County in mind, call them and ask.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 11:28:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I've checked with Mercer and Lawrence - both are a no-go. Looks like I'm going to spend a bunch of time on the phone to get this arranged. I really don't want to drive all that way to Centre County to get this renewed.
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 3:48:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Just a question.. do you have an Ohio resident CHL? If so, why are you renewing your Pennsylvania non-resident permit?

I am not aware of any states you will gain reciprocity with by renewing your Pennsylvania license. The only thing that makes sense to renew your PA permit is if you plan to travel to a state that gained reciprocity with Ohio after 3/22/2015 and your permit for Ohio was issued prior to that and is not ready for renewal.

If you do want to renew your PA license and you are in NE Ohio your best bet is Erie County. You have to go in person to the Erie County Courthouse (located near Gannon University). It is $20 cash and helps to have your paperwork already completed. Bring a self addressed envelope and they will take your picture, run the background check, create the license and mail it to you. It normally only takes a couple of days to receive it in the mail.

Erie Co. Sheriff's Office website for further details and contact information.

By the way, I love Centre County! Beautiful area! However, definitely don't have to drive out there to renew your license. Jump on I-90 and head to Erie!
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 12:21:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just a question.. do you have an Ohio resident CHL? If so, why are you renewing your Pennsylvania non-resident permit?

I am not aware of any states you will gain reciprocity with by renewing your Pennsylvania license. The only thing that makes sense to renew your PA permit is if you plan to travel to a state that gained reciprocity with Ohio after 3/22/2015 and your permit for Ohio was issued prior to that and is not ready for renewal.

If you do want to renew your PA license and you are in NE Ohio your best bet is Erie County. You have to go in person to the Erie County Courthouse (located near Gannon University). It is $20 cash and helps to have your paperwork already completed. Bring a self addressed envelope and they will take your picture, run the background check, create the license and mail it to you. It normally only takes a couple of days to receive it in the mail.

Erie Co. Sheriff's Office website for further details and contact information.

By the way, I love Centre County! Beautiful area! However, definitely don't have to drive out there to renew your license. Jump on I-90 and head to Erie!
View Quote

The PA license will get me one state I can use - WI. My OH license was renewed in 2014 and WI only honors OH permits issued after 3/23/2015. I'll check with Erie County tomorrow. Do you know if they take walk-ins or require an appointment?
Link Posted: 2/2/2016 11:57:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah, bummer that your Ohio CHL was renewed in 2014. Like you said, had it been issued late-March 2015 you wouldn't have to worry about this headache.

I believe Erie County takes walk-ins but definitely worth calling them for those types of questions. The link I provided has their phone number - (814) 451-7444.

Only thing I thought about after my original post is whether or not Erie can renew a license of your's that was initially issued through Centre County. That's a question you will have to ask them.

Good luck and let us know (or PM me) how things turn out or if you have any additional questions.

Just a side note, the folks at Erie County were very pleasant to deal with and the process was smooth.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top