Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/25/2015 4:24:46 PM EDT
In the state of PA, is it required by law for one PA resident to go through an FFL to sell a handgun to another PA resident?  Basically, to do it in the presence of an FFL?

What about rifles?

Thanks.

Link Posted: 8/25/2015 4:36:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Handgun has to be done through an FFL via a 4473/NICS check.

Rifles and shotguns are GTG between individuals FTF. IIRC you can even ship one directly to another PA resident.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:01:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Rifles and shotguns are GTG between individuals FTF. IIRC you can even ship one directly to another PA resident.
View Quote

Thanks.

I guess the main reason it has to be done through an FFL is because FFLs are the only people/entities who have access to the NICS?
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:17:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Thanks.

I guess the main reason it has to be done through an FFL is because FFLs are the only people/entities who have access to the NICS?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Handgun transfers have to go through a dealer because that is what PA law requires.

Technically it could go through a county sheriff, but good luck with that.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:18:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Thanks.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

IDK, some other states allow private handgun sales.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 5:33:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote

Correct.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 1:10:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IDK, some other states allow private handgun sales.
View Quote

Free states allow that, PA is not one of them.  This here is a Free Enough state.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 8:37:51 AM EDT
[#7]
PSP has to keep that database updated even though they are not allowed to have it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
PSP has to keep that database updated even though they are not allowed to have it.
View Quote

This...what good is their illegal database if it's not up to date.  PA doesn't use NICS, they use PICS.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:17:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

This...what good is their illegal database if it's not up to date.  PA doesn't use NICS, they use PICS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

PA most certainly does use NICS. It's just a point of contact state. The FFL contacts PSP (PICS) who then contacts NICS.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 7:41:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It makes me smile when I buy a handgun with my C&R, knowing that it won't end up in their precious illegal registry
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:07:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

PA most certainly does use NICS. It's just a point of contact state. The FFL contacts PSP (PICS) who then contacts NICS.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good to know.  I think I know where you work, so I'll take your word for it
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wonder if there are any future plans to challenge the PA database in court again.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 5:18:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I wonder if there are any future plans to challenge the PA database in court again.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Going to need someone with a lot of money to challenge the PSP
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 7:19:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I attended one of those ATF outreach programs for FFLs last year and PSP was there as well. PSP flat out admitted that they scan the forms before destroying them and that their interpretation of the law allows them to scan the forms while destroying the paper copies.

They don't hide the fact that they do it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top