Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/6/2015 12:59:11 PM EDT
http://mobile.philly.com/news/?wss=/philly/news&id=320894221&

Pennsylvania Attorney General Kathleen Kane, the state's top prosecutor, was criminally charged Thursday in a scheme to leak grand jury material and later cover it up - a stunning blow to a political career that was once on a steep ascent.

At a news conference in Norristown, Montgomery County District Attorney Risa Vetri Ferman unveiled an indictment including charges of perjury, official oppression, obstruction of justice and contempt of court.

Also charged was Patrick Reese, a member of Kane's security detail and her driver, who stands accused of aiding the attorney general in the alleged cover-up by sneaking into grand jury files.

Ferman said her office's investigation remains active and that others could still face charges.

"No one is above the law, not even the chief law enforcement officer of the commonwealth of Pennsylvania," Ferman said.

She added: "This is a sad day for the citizens of Pennsylvania and a sad day for all of us in law enforcement. When someone entrusted with upholding the law violates that oath, we are all victims."

Kane, who has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing, was at home in Scranton when the case against her was announced, her spokesman Chuck Ardo said.

She is expected to appear before a Montgomery County district judge within the next two days.

In a statement released within minutes of Ferman's announcement, Kane vowed to fight her case and to remain in office.

"I am very disappointed the district attorney has made the decision to pursue this case. I have maintained my innocence from the day these allegations surfaced and I continue to do so today," she said. "I intend to defend myself vigorously against these charges.

"Meanwhile, I remain committed to leading the Office of Attorney General and doing the job the citizens of this Commonwealth elected me to do. A resignation would be an admission of guilt and I'm not guilty."

Kane, 49, a Democrat, is the first attorney general in Pennsylvania to face criminal charges since Ernie Preate Jr., a Republican who pleaded guilty in a federal corruption case two decades ago.

Her indictment comes nearly nine months after a statewide grand jury recommended charges against her.

The panel concluded late last year that Kane released confidential grand jury materials in an act of revenge against a former prosecutor in her office whom she blamed for her political troubles.

The grand jury referred the case to Ferman, who has spent months reviewing the evidence the panel uncovered and unearthing new information.

Addressing reporters Thursday, Ferman recalled the day she took her own oath as a prosecutor in describing her disappointment in Kane's alleged actions. But the district attorney declined to offer an opinion on whether the attorney general should resign.

"Whether or not she should step down is a decision she will have to make," said Ferman.

But Ardo, Kane's spokesman, remained resolute.

"For those calling for the attorney general's resignation," said Ardo, "the last time I heard a call for a sentence before a verdict was delivered was in Alice in Wonderland."
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 3:17:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Wolf is calling for her to step down as well.

I know she has a burning desire to infringe on our right but wasn't there a story last year where she chose not to prosecute a few democrats in Philly for misuse of public funds (stealing)?
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:09:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I hope that bitch does time.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 7:55:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I know she has a burning desire to infringe on our right but wasn't there a story last year where she chose not to prosecute a few democrats in Philly for misuse of public funds (stealing)?
View Quote

Yes, there was.

And when Wolf is calling for you to step down, you should probably do it.

Glad she is being charged.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 8:56:03 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

So does that mean a special election or does the communist (wolf) gets to pick a replacement until the elections ?

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 10:21:10 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
So does that mean a special election or does the communist (wolf) gets to pick a replacement until the elections ?

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Probably apoint jugears.

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 5:55:46 PM EDT
[#6]
this is great news......

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 9:51:17 AM EDT
[#7]
Took them long enough.

Can she be hung for that?

Seems like the Democrats in southeast PA are getting hit pretty hard.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 5:11:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Good
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 11:08:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Just reported from the Daily Times:

NORRISTOWN >> Attorney General Kathleen Kane’s driver is due in court on a charge of indirect criminal contempt.

Patrick Reese was scheduled to be arraigned Tuesday morning in Montgomery County court in connection with his alleged efforts, which were unsuccessful, to help his boss avoid prosecution.

The former Dunmore police chief is accused of violating a judge’s protective order by accessing emails in state computers to keep Kane informed about the grand jury probe that targeted her.

The attorney general is accused of leaking secret grand jury information to embarrass a former state prosecutor who she felt had made her look bad. She’s also accused of lying about her actions under oath. She was arraigned Saturday on a felony count of perjury and other charges. She has denied any wrongdoing, and has refused calls to step down.
View Quote

What a fucking turd. But then again, we already knew that.
Link Posted: 8/13/2015 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#10]
She officially jumped the shark yesterday.   A bizarre, rambling press conference that left many wondering if she was heavily medicated.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/2015/08/12/Kane-won-t-take-questions-at-press-conference-spokesman-says/stories/201508120191

Didn't answer any questions.

The remarks directly to her sons at the end of it were out of place and frankly chilling to me.   I think she's gonna go out on pills & booze.

Link Posted: 8/13/2015 10:48:19 PM EDT
[#11]
haha, take care hunny......

Quoted:
She officially jumped the shark yesterday.   A bizarre, rambling press conference that left many wondering if she was heavily medicated.

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/2015/08/12/Kane-won-t-take-questions-at-press-conference-spokesman-says/stories/201508120191

The remarks directly to her sons at the end of it were out of place and frankly chilling to me.   I think she's gonna go out on pills & booze.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/14/2015 5:39:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Honestly, I'd be laughing in sympathy.
Link Posted: 8/14/2015 2:13:10 PM EDT
[#13]
She is a smacked ass!  She once said that she didn't agree with certain laws on the books and would not enforce them.  There is an old joke about Thought.  She thought she shit but only farted.  Well, hope that this makes her disappear.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 7:24:20 AM EDT
[#14]
kind of reminds me of another state official's press conference.

Link Posted: 8/15/2015 11:33:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, there it is.
She displayed all the signs and symptoms.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 12:03:54 PM EDT
[#16]
This is a Good Thing and fun to watch her self destruct just as Hillary does

Of course the replacement that Wolf appoints will be as bad or worse but that's why we are here to fight for our rights!
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 6:32:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

Is it bad I was hoping for a Bud Dwyer?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There's still time, it could happen.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:00:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:19:32 AM EDT
[#20]
So what is going to be done to restore the damage she's done to reciprocity and out of state permits?  Who's job would it be to do that?
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 11:53:57 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So what is going to be done to restore the damage she's done to reciprocity and out of state permits?  Who's job would it be to do that?
View Quote

+1  Planning to submit / attempt non-resident app tomorrow but would just assume have UT and or FL recognized
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:19:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#23]
hmm maybe she will do state and federal time.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 3:45:52 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

http://triblive.com/news/adminpage/8673502-74/kane-attorney-grand#axzz3jQrrj7Mr
Kane has said she intends to run for re-election next year.

If she changes her mind and steps down, the Commonwealth Attorneys Act says Beemer, the first deputy, would become interim attorney general until a successor is appointed to complete the four-year term Kane began in 2013. Wolf would nominate a successor, who must be approved by two-thirds of the Senate's 50 members.

Beemer was appointed by Kane, so I'm assuming he's not going to be much help. Wolf's going to try to get away with the most left-wing AG he can get through the Senate, which leaves the 2016 election. Pennsylvanians went out of their way to elect Kane - she got more votes than Obama- so it wouldn't be a shock if they turned around and elected another democrat A/G to go along with the dem president.

Sooooooooooooooo.......... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for someone to fix things.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 6:53:08 PM EDT
[#25]
Now the Decaplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania is trying to revoke her license to practice. If they do, she will no longer be able to hold office.

Board trying to get Kane's law license suspended
http://6abc.com/politics/board-trying-to-get-kanes-law-license-suspended/961048/
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 4:13:32 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Beemer was appointed by Kane, so I'm assuming he's not going to be much help. Wolf's going to try to get away with the most left-wing AG he can get through the Senate, which leaves the 2016 election. Pennsylvanians went out of their way to elect Kane - she got more votes than Obama- so it wouldn't be a shock if they turned around and elected another democrat A/G to go along with the dem president.

Sooooooooooooooo.......... I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for someone to fix things.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Kane has said she intends to run for re-election next year.

If she changes her mind and steps down, the Commonwealth Attorneys Act says Beemer, the first deputy, would become interim attorney general until a successor is appointed to complete the four-year term Kane began in 2013. Wolf would nominate a successor, who must be approved by two-thirds of the Senate's 50 members.

Sort of, but that isn't really accurate.

Recall, she had run previously and did very poorly, she was a bit wiser politically this last time (being directly advised by Bill Clinton probably helped) and ran in an election cycle that was a slam dunk for Democrats nationally (with the full weight of Big Party Voter Fraud on full display - particularly in PA).

She was swept in on the national level Dem ticket, and direct voter backlash to the perception of insider corruption in Harrisburg, that turned out to be more campaign advertising hot air than fact.

Now she has proven that SHE is corrupt, and hasn't proven a single case against the "old boys club" as she repeatedly calls it, in Harrisburg.

Proving that the campaign ads attacking her as an incompetent grand-standing simpleton were accurate.

Voters may swerve back to a more conservative AG candidate that has less political party baggage and a better record of serving the public interest. Hopefully.

On a side note:
I had the unfortunate opportunity to see her on a crime control panel in Northampton County shortly after she was elected AG, she fundamentally does not understand criminal behavior nor the crime problems facing the Commonwealth in any region of the state.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top