Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2014 2:51:08 PM EDT
I am now a newly minted legal resident of PA and am looking to purchase an AR15. If I have a LTCF would a background check still be required to purchase a rifle or lower from an FFL?

I do not, at present have a LCTF. The two reference requirement might be an obstacle. It looks as though some counties may no longer require the references but I am in Montgomery county.

Thanks,

Steve

Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:13:38 PM EDT
[#1]
I back ground check would still be done but only takes a few minutes. You will need 2 references for your carry permit.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#2]
If you buy FTF from a private individual you don't need anything
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 5:03:27 PM EDT
[#3]
First two replies are correct.

FWIW, I've had a LTCF issued by MontCo for over 20 years, and not once has any of my references been called.

Philly and DelCo are a different story, however.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 7:05:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies. I am new to PA and I appreciate having a reliable source of good information. At least technically new, I just got a PA Driver License two weeks ago. I lived in PA many years ago but family is not acceptable as a reference.

I have a hard time with having a gun on paper. F2F with a private owner seems to be the best path. Unfortunately I the selection there is not quite as good. :)

Being new to PA coming up with two references is going to be interesting. Do they need to be PA residents?

Thanks,

Steve
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I don't remember if they need to be PA residents. I recommend calling the MontCo Sheriff's office and asking to speak to someone in the gun permit department. Or, if you can make it to the courthouse in Norristown go down in person and ask.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 9:57:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 6:38:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Montgomery county website, http://www.montcopa.org/index.aspx?nid=401

application for a LTCF http://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3880

instructions  http://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/732

local check card http://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3882

References can be from anywhere

View Quote

Some counties are requiring references to live in the same county. Lebanon County just went that route.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 3:09:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Not sure if you are aware of this or not. But when you purchase any firearm from a FFL in Pa you will have to do a 4473. Does not matter if you have a LTCF or not. If you purchase a long gun then you only do the 4473 and that info stays at the FFL. Neither the State or the Fed knows what you purchased. Other than the fact that a background check was run on you for a purchase or transfer of a firearm. Not seeing the problem with going through a FFL. Especially with all the great deals on factory new items right now.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 11:30:20 PM EDT
[#9]
I will try to explain.

I used to live in Arizona. I enjoyed shooting and had some guns that pleased me but there always seemed to be a few that I didn't have but would like to have.

One Sunday morning as I usually did, I looked at the local for sale ads and saw a nice S&W 629 for sale at a good price. I called the guy and asked a few few questions and we talked a bit and decided that I would like to look at his gun and if it was as he said it was, I would like to buy it. It was unusual in that it had a 7 1/2 inch barrel and was highly polished from the factory.

I got to his house, looked at his gun and we talked a bit. We agreed on a price, I gave him cash, we shook hands and I left with a shiny new gun and ammo.

That is pretty much how I think it should go and that any government involvement beyond that contradicts "shall not be infringed".
Link Posted: 12/7/2014 3:21:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Some counties are requiring references to live in the same county. Lebanon County just went that route.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Montgomery county website, http://www.montcopa.org/index.aspx?nid=401

application for a LTCF http://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3880

instructions  http://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/732

local check card http://www.montcopa.org/DocumentCenter/View/3882

References can be from anywhere

When I moved to PA almost 5 years ago I was told the same thing, that my references needed to live within the county and that I had to be a county resident for 90 days before I applied. After reading on PAFOA that both of those are BS I went down the next day to apply. I used a reference in NY and FL, neither were called. I put my work cell phone as my work number, it was called by them and a message was left. They never called for a follow up and I never returned their call. It seems they waited until the last day to issue my LTCF. I had my FL CWL at the time and it was recognized back then so I did not care much. Cant really complain, I've read horror stories from Philly residents..
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:56:54 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I will try to explain.

I used to live in Arizona. I enjoyed shooting and had some guns that pleased me but there always seemed to be a few that I didn't have but would like to have.

One Sunday morning as I usually did, I looked at the local for sale ads and saw a nice S&W 629 for sale at a good price. I called the guy and asked a few few questions and we talked a bit and decided that I would like to look at his gun and if it was as he said it was, I would like to buy it. It was unusual in that it had a 7 1/5 inch barrel and was highly polished from the factory.

I got to his house, looked at his gun and we talked a bit. We agreed on a price, I gave him cash, we shook hands and I left with a shiny new gun and ammo.

That is pretty much how I think it should go and that any government involvement beyond that contradicts "shall not be infringed".
View Quote

I think that is all that should be involved also.   But your title says long gun.  My earlier reply about not needing anything was regarding long guns..... A S&W 629 is a handgun correct?   You do need to complete a transaction for a handgun through a FFL.   I personally don't give a rats ass and think it is bullshit but just a heads up man.
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 10:56:15 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

FWIW, I've had a LTCF issued by MontCo for over 20 years, and not once has any of my references been called.

View Quote

my refs weren't called either time - but I'd assume it can vary
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:00:49 PM EDT
[#13]
I had refs called once a long time ago in Butler County. Subsequent renewals I don't think they were called. I have one experience with Armstrong where they did not call references. In fact the LTCF was carried out of the building within 15 minutes of application.
Link Posted: 12/9/2014 10:54:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I've been a reference for a friend with a LTCF issued by DelCo, and I was called.
Link Posted: 12/12/2014 10:31:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Good info on refs. I need to apply in Bucks Co. Only been in state two years.
Link Posted: 12/25/2014 11:34:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I had refs called once a long time ago in Butler County. Subsequent renewals I don't think they were called. I have one experience with Armstrong where they did not call references. In fact the LTCF was carried out of the building within 15 minutes of application.
View Quote

True story I live in Armstrong county out the door within 15 min only call they make is pics
Link Posted: 12/27/2014 10:54:16 PM EDT
[#17]
I have my LTC in Philly.  None of my references were called, and my permit only took 17 days to approve.  Process was very easy, as long as you were an organized person.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top