Link Posted: 11/30/2014 3:55:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Not me, but good luck to you.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 4:58:41 PM EDT
[#2]
I need to wait until Wedsday.   Good luck
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 7:07:58 PM EDT
[#3]
I had to look twice - your pile of gear looks just like mine right now.  Same boots too.

My son and I are ready to go.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:43:54 PM EDT
[#4]

My pile of gear is ready and I'm going to bed now. Waking up at 3, meeting my buds at 4. Be in my stand by 5. I hunt 3 miles from my home on 180 acres of posted land. Its just the 3 of us.

Supposed to rain all night and be pretty warm, then get colder as the day progresses. My gear choice is going to be iffy, but I'm leaving my carhartt overalls in my car. If it gets that cold, i'll walk back. I really don't want to wear them in.  Its 60 degrees right now, low is going to be 46 but that's in the afternoon.  Really, this is the warmest first day I ever remember.

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 12:05:46 AM EDT
[#5]

What are you using that surf rod for? Seems like the striper season is all but over..
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Been on stand since 5:30. First I was sweating, now I'm freezing. Haven't seen or heard a single deer. Neither has dad or cousin. We hunt my cousin's 190acre farm and this is first opening day that I remember not seeing at LEAST a doe by the afternoon. Probably only heard 3-4 shots all day so far, usually sounds like WWIII on opening day.

Guess all the deer are on strike.  Good luck everyone, be safe.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#7]
In my stand now. Been here since 5. Saw a half rack 4 point. Passed on him. I saw nothing else, except sleet and rain all day. Enough sleet to cover the ground. My hunting buddy got a nice 8 PT and 2 doe. Its friggin freezing now! I dressed well but the temps really dropped.

Update you all later.
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:46:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What are you using that surf rod for? Seems like the striper season is all but over..
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Just got back from a two week fishing trip to Emerald Isle NC.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:13:42 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
In my stand now. Been here since 5. Saw a half rack 4 point. Passed on him. I saw nothing else, except sleet and rain all day. Enough sleet to cover the ground. My hunting buddy got a nice 8 PT and 2 doe. Its friggin freezing now! I dressed well but the temps really dropped.

Update you all later.
View Quote

I had zero envy for the guys out there today.  It looked miserable out.  I'll be heading up to my buddy's property in Mercer county later this week, and it looks like the weather is shaping up to be the same as it was today.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 7:13:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Was at my buddies camp in Clarion for the weekend/opening day.

Saw 5 doe, a spike (standing under my stand) and a four point.

Was in my stand from before sun up until around 5:00, got pretty cold, no rain or sleet, just windy.

May head up there again on Saturday, that or I'll go hunt with a buddy in Slippery Rock.

ETA:There were 6 guys and one youth at camp, nobody shot a deer.
       Hardly any shooting in the surrounding areas, which is odd, there's usually a lot of shooting.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 8:35:12 AM EDT
[#11]
I hunt on a friends farm north of Carrolltown.  Hunters on two sides of us managed to kill a few bucks, with one guy a couple hundred yards from me bagging a huge buck (heard the shot and saw them dragging it out), by 8 am the rain was so nasty I left my tree stand and hunkered down at my secondary spot. By 2pm i had to throw on another layer of gear because the temp had dropped and the freezing rain turned into snow.

I saw a total of about 15 deer, mostly Doe, youngsters, and a couple little bucks. Weather really made it a pain in the rear and definitely affected what the local critters did, I normally see a few right before sun down, and that is when I normally get my deer, but, this year they stayed put.  I'll be out pretty much every other day at least so there's plenty of time to fill some tags.

Took this pic right after freezing rain started to stick to the ground. Made it easier to see the critters as they ran though the woods.
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 10:46:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Today (Tuesday) was impressively miserable.
Was either rained on, sleeted on, snowed on, iced on from about 8am on.
Property owner put on a deer drive both yesterday and today so I think most got pushed off.  Nothing killed yesterday on the drive, today a nice 8 point and a doe were taken.

Personally all I saw yesterday was does and spikes.  Today it was a doe, spike (different from Monday), fork horn, three point, unknown buck with large bright white antlers, and a super scrubby 6 point.
Link Posted: 12/5/2014 10:02:06 PM EDT
[#13]

Going out all day tomorrow. Should  be just about a repeat day as Monday. Rain all day.

My biggest problem will be getting over the creek that is right at the edge of the property. There is no bridge and its rained all week.  I expect there to be at least 4 feet of water, where there is normally 6 inches.

I usually drive across, might have to walk about a half of a mile downstream and cross a road bridge.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 12:59:44 AM EDT
[#14]
I went out to a new spot Thursday afternoon, near home, but, it was pretty dead other than a shitload of turkeys raising hell. Most of my buddies have bailed on Hunting tomorrow (Sat) because of the weather. I may still head out in the afternoon and try to catch the deer when they hit the farm around sun down.

I can hunt every day next week so i am not stressed about missing the first day of Doe.
Link Posted: 12/6/2014 4:34:54 PM EDT
[#15]

Just got home from hunting. I started in my stand at 5am. Didn't see shit. decided since not one person was walking around and I didn't hear one shot after 3 hours that I was going to walk around.  I hit every stand of pines and thick stuff on  the property (180acres) and didn't kick out anything. My 5 buds stayed put all morning and early afternoon and didn't see anything. I came home, dry and tired, but damn was it wet out today.

ended up driving through the creek, it was up over the hood of my buds suburban.

Link Posted: 12/6/2014 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Man, I can't wait to hit the farm on Monday. No freaking rain!
Link Posted: 12/8/2014 8:45:47 AM EDT
[#17]
I went to my buddies place in Slippery Rock on Saturday. We were in our stands before it got light, it rained pretty hard until around 8:00, saw two doe after it quit raining.

Decided to get out of my stand and do some walking around about 10:00, nothing.

We hit a couple of other spots in the area, didn't see anything. It started raining again around 1:00, sat in my stand until about 3:00 then had to head home.

I probably won't get to hunt on Saturday but I still have flintlock season, which is my favorite time of year!

Link Posted: 12/8/2014 11:35:33 AM EDT
[#18]
This first week made me really happy to have killed a buck in archery. :) I may go set a few evenings and try for a long range doe. Don't think i will be taking any shots under 500 yards. Those damn deer sit so tight when it is cold and rainy. You really need to root them out. I have seen deer in the past in weather like this that will be within 10 yards of a hunter and if they think the hinter doesn't see them they won't move. This week looks a little better. Good luck all.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top