Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2014 1:32:42 PM EDT
I have accepted a job that will require me to spend a lot of time in NE PA, specifically the area between Tunkhannock and Montrose. I will still be a Tennessee resident, have my home in Tennessee and the wife and kids are staying in Tennessee but I will be in PA for extended periods of time.

- Tennessee and Pennsylvania have carry permit reciprocity so I will be legal to carry when not working (no firearms at work) but does PA have any weird laws about carrying I need to know about?

- I'll be working 6 days a week and have Sundays off. Any decent ranges in the area? Any that have formal or informal competitions on Sundays?  Pistol, shotgun or rifle?

- Any weird/odd state laws? For example in Tennessee beer cannot be sold at a liquor store and no liquor in a grocery store.

- I'll be hitting up real estate sites and Craigslist for a place to rent in the area but if anyone knows of a furnished studio or 1-bedroom apartment or small cabin please let me know.

- Does PA allow Sunday hunting? If so how is the hunting on public land in the area?

- Any decent gyms in the area?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]
you in the gas industry ?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 1:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
you in the gas industry ?
View Quote

Yep. Environmental Compliance
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:11:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I have accepted a job that will require me to spend a lot of time in NE PA, specifically the area between Tunkhannock and Montrose. I will still be a Tennessee resident, have my home in Tennessee and the wife and kids are staying in Tennessee but I will be in PA for extended periods of time.

- Tennessee and Pennsylvania have carry permit reciprocity so I will be legal to carry when not working (no firearms at work) but does PA have any weird laws about carrying I need to know about?  -Almost no restrictions, schools are a grey area that's better to avoid, other than that federal buildings and courthouses are the only real restrictions -Almost no restrictions, schools are a grey area that's better to avoid, other than that federal buildings and courthouses are the only real restrictions

- I'll be working 6 days a week and have Sundays off. Any decent ranges in the area? Any that have formal or informal competitions on Sundays?  Pistol, shotgun or rifle?

- Any weird/odd state laws? For example in Tennessee beer cannot be sold at a liquor store and no liquor in a grocery store.  Pa has some wierd laws with this.  Liquor and Wine at State owned stores.  Beer Stores can sell full cases only, and resturaunts and grocery stores can sell beer but only 192oz or less per transaction, and at grocery stores it needs to be rung up a a seperate register, that they consider part of the cafe.

- I'll be hitting up real estate sites and Craigslist for a place to rent in the area but if anyone knows of a furnished studio or 1-bedroom apartment or small cabin please let me know.

- Does PA allow Sunday hunting? If so how is the hunting on public land in the area?  No sunday hunting - Any decent gyms in the area?

Thanks.
View Quote

I don't know the local area, so hopefully someone will be along to answer the rest of the questions.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 8:46:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Disregard, as pointed out below, someone needs a lesson in geography.

There is a state owned range almost directly between the two in Jim Thorpe, $30 for the year.

Cabela's is about 45 minutes from Montrose.

New Holland has matches but I'm not sure if on Sundays.  They usually post them here in HTF a month ahead of time.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:16:31 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
There is a state owned range almost directly between the two in Jim Thorpe, $30 for the year.

New Holland has matches but I'm not sure if on Sundays.  They usually post them here in HTF a month ahead of time.
View Quote

45 minutes?? Maybe by jet......Montrose is near the NY border. You have your geography all jacked up.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:33:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

I think you have the wrong towns.  Tunkhannock and Montrose are about 1:30 to 2:00 north of Jim Thorpe, and New Holland is over three hours away.
Link Posted: 8/1/2014 10:09:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

45 minutes?? Maybe by jet......Montrose is near the NY border. You have your geography all jacked up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You'd be right.  I was thinking Mohnton.  Glad I don't sit in front of map of PA directing trucks all day, that would be embarrassing.
Link Posted: 8/4/2014 10:22:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Your best bet for renting a place is probably going to be in Montrose.  There is a new apartment complex that is just opening , located on Rt 706 & Rt 167 as you leave town.  Otherwise I haven't got a clue what might be available.  Since the gas boom started around here rental properties have become non-existent and rents have gone through the roof.

As far a ranges go in that area, I really can't help since I live north of Montrose.  The PA Game Commission website says there's a public range in Lackawanna county with a 250 yard rifle range plus 10 and 25 yard pistol ranges.  That's about as close as I can find that's public, although if you check at Montrose Sporting Goods they can probably fill you in on the private club ranges in the southern part of Susquehanna county and northern Wyoming County.
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 10:21:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Ranges/clubs you might check out:  Factoryville Sportsmen's Club and Wilkes Barre Rifle and Pistol Club.  It has been many years since I have been at either place; but, when I Googled they both came up.
Link Posted: 8/6/2014 2:54:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Thanks for the replies.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top