Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/11/2014 4:56:45 AM EDT
As most of you guys that live in SW PA know The Murtland Ave/ Rt 19 Exits on 70/79 in Washington are a complete cluster fuck.

I Was just reading in the local paper that PennDot is eager to spend that bullshit act 89 money and are going to  change that intersection to what is known as a diverging Diamond.

State Department of Transportation officials Thursday outlined their construction plans for 2014 and how the recently passed Act 89, which essentially raised the state’s gasoline tax by about 11 cents per gallon, will help fund repaving and other projects.

View Quote

"Finally, spring has sprung,” PennDOT District 12 Executive Joe Szczur said. "It’s been a long winter and, hopefully, it’s over. We have a lot of work to do.”

Szczur and other PennDOT workers outlined their plans to nearly 40 local officials at the department’s county maintenance office along Route 519 in North Bethlehem Township. The theme of the meeting was the myriad of new construction projects on the table thanks to Act 89 of 2013, which offers an expanded revenue stream for transportation projects.

Although the law was relatively unpopular after gas prices literally jumped overnight when it took effect Jan. 1, Szczur said it’s been an important investment into the state’s aging bridges and roads.

"We have job security with maintaining and working on our roads,” Szczur said. "We can’t do enough, quick enough. … This isn’t a thing we’ll be able to fix overnight. We have a big portfolio of projects we want to do.”

PennDOT expects to use Act 89 money for $16.85 million in various road resurfacing projects in Washington County. The state will spend about $6.5 million on resurfacing jobs in Greene County.

But major projects on I-70 from Washington to New Stanton are some of the most noticeable improvements motorists will see in the next few years. Construction of the "diverging diamond” interchange that will invert traffic on Route 19 at the Murtland exit to improve safety there is the first of its kind in Pennsylvania.

The $57 million construction project will begin this fall and is expected to improve on-ramps and exits, while adding a third lane heading to the south junction with Interstate 79.

"This project will set us up for future projects on I-70,” said Bill Beaumarriage, who is PennDOT District 12’s portfolio manager. "It’s a big job for us and hopefully it will be a big job for you all.”

Would be something like this I guess...

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Maybe if PENNDOT used their money a little more wisely in the first place they wouldn't have needed that tax.
Projects like this don't appear to be using their money wisely.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah that entire exit there is horrible Beau street is even worse ...
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:56:18 AM EDT
[#3]

Wait till you see the total cluster F they are going to do at the intersection of 519, Thomas-Eighty Four, and Brownlee roads.

Double roundabout, with bleachers installed.   LOLOLOL.

Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:10:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Wait till you see the total cluster F they are going to do at the intersection of 519, Thomas-Eighty Four, and Brownlee roads.

View Quote

Double roundabout, with bleachers installed.   LOLOLOL.

holy shit

they installed a roundabout down in Morgantown wv  its kind of a cluster
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 12:41:06 PM EDT
[#5]

The wife and I are looking forward to going down there with a picnic basket on Friday nights to watch the road rage.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/penndot/districts/district12.nsf/PA519Project?OpenForm

Link Posted: 4/13/2014 4:57:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Great. I use those exits constantly. They're bad, yes, but Christ they may only make them worse.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 7:06:57 AM EDT
[#7]
When you said traffic circle I thought of this:

Big Ben, Parliment
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:12:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I must admit that they look weird, but they work great.  They put one in near Rochester, NY and traffic flow is much more efficient and the accident rate is way down.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 10:58:07 AM EDT
[#9]
I'll take the diverging diamond over a freaking circle any day.

The traffic light wait times for the diamond can get a little aggravating, but most of the circles I've seen at interchanges are not properly sized for tractor trailers, which screws up things worse than the traffic lights.  The trucks have to use both lanes and travel slower through those small circles and they still run all over the curbs in the center.  Not to mention of someone gets into the circle next to a tractor trailer there is a high likelihood of an accident taking place, which ties up everything.

The diamonds look weird, but the fact that with the lanes swapped there can be twice as much traffic getting through at one time it makes them much more efficient than standard intersections with traffic lights.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top