Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/10/2014 3:58:57 AM EDT
Is it legal to sell a long gun to another PA resident and then just ship it to them?

I thought I remember reading it was legal somewhere, but I would like to see the statute in State Law if anyone has it for reference.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 5:59:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes, shipping long guns within the state is ok.

As for the statute, statutes say what is illegal. If there is no law saying its illegal then by de-facto, it ok.

Check this link for all the rules in one summed up post.

http://forum.pafoa.org/firearms-6/163321-shipping-answers-questions-often-asked.html
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 10:36:14 AM EDT
[#2]
From my understanding, it is completely legal; however, there is potential for liability. For example, if there is no request for the carrier to have an adult sign the package, and it is received by a minor, there is potential for repercussion. I too am interested in this and would like insight for someone more familiar with this information.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 7:41:34 AM EDT
[#3]
That PAFOA link is great, thanks.

It seems like shipping a long gun insured, with delivery confirmation and adult signature required would do.
Link Posted: 4/12/2014 8:21:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Little off topic, but years ago I was stationed in MD and sold a long gun to a PA resident. My home of record was PA, so I called a local ATF office and asked if I'd be good to go to ship a long gun from a MD post office since I was a PA resident. He told me that was perfectly legal. I told him the post office employees probably weren't going to believe that, so I asked for his name and extension so I could have them give him a call when he declined my request to ship it.

The next day I went into my local post office with the long gun in box. I was waiting in line and a postal employee started working her way back through the line to see what services everyone needed. When I told her what I needed, she said I couldn't ship a firearm without an FFL at all, let alone send it out of state. I pulled out the name and number, said it was an ATF office in Baltimore, and to call them and they would let them know that it's fine. So she disappeared in the back for a good 15 minutes or more. She finally came back out, never said a word, wouldn't look at me, just started processing it to ship.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#5]
All regulations can be found on USPS website. I recently shipped a shotgun out of state. If you're shipping within the same state to a person legally allowed to own, you can ship a long gun directly to their house. ALL handguns must be shipped to an FFL holder. If shipping a long gun out of state, must also go to FFL holder, or to yourself at your own residence in that state. You are required by law to declare to the post office that it is a firearm you're shipping. They can demand you open for inspection to insure not loaded. They are barred by federal law from indicating on the package that is is a firearm after it is declared. Insurance/signature on delivery and all that is NOT required, but I recommend it. They may also require you to either verbally or written, certify that it is unloaded and not being shipped with ammunition. The post office counter worker might argue with you on the legality, they did with me. I made them look up the law, after an hour wait I got an apology from the post master and the inspector. You just need to be assertive with them. You know gov employees don't always know the laws they enforce.
Link Posted: 4/13/2014 3:25:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the help
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top