Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/16/2017 9:39:09 AM EDT
Can anyone tell me about buying a car in CA. as an AZ. resident?  I found a car out there that I like for a good price. One thing that isn't clear though is if I need to register it in CA or get a one way permit to drive it back here to AZ. A web search just doesn't provide a lot of help either. If I have to get for a one way permit at the local CA DMV they aren't open on Saturday when I planned to pick up the car. If I have a signed title I would just risk it and drive back, but it is about three hours to the border and it could be a really hefty fine in CA.

I am going to try and call the CA DMV and ask, but I really didn't want to spend three hours on hold. I posted it in hopes that maybe someone here has done this.

Thank you
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:02:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm the kind that would claim ignorance. I'd slap one of the half dozen AZ plates I've kept over the years on it and just drive back.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:13:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I really thought about that but again it could be subject to a heavy fine or even impound. I would end up being the one guy that gets pulled over. Also I would hate for CA to somehow delay or hold up re-title and registration over paperwork.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:20:15 AM EDT
[#3]
Let us know when you get an answer, I've been shopping California cars lately also.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 10:38:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Buy your car in CA and you pay tax in CA if you physically take delivery in CA. I do not think you get a refund once you get back to AZ and pay your AZ mvd tax and reg.

You can print a 3 day paper permit for the trip on servicearizona.com.  It was a dollar the last time I looked.

Print it on a friday and it's good till wednesday- weekends don't count.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:01:03 PM EDT
[#5]
So if I pay CA tax whom do I pay that to since it would be a private sale? Can I pay it online later or would I have to pay it before I bring the car to AZ?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Have the car shipped to AZ with a common carrier , or have the owner drive it across the AZ  border and buy it here . Then you go to AZ mvd or a third party and get the AZ title and registration . AZ has no sales tax on private party sales of vehicles. FUCK CALIFORNIA .
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:44:39 PM EDT
[#7]
There's no tax that you pay when you buy private.

You would normally pay taxes on it when registering it in ca and pay to the dmv after they calculate the sales tax owed. That's why a lot of people in California "lower" the price they put on the transfer paperwork so they pay less sales tax.

I'm a dealer. Here's what you do.

Buy the car.
Print a 3 day permit from service Arizona $1

Drive it back. Simple.
No taxes  or anything. You do not need to register it in ca. Just make sure it's a title and not a lien packet.

California is lame in every sense.
As a car dealer here it's so damn easy.

In Cali you gotta jump thru so many hoops to get a license. And then to stay in business you have to report every damn sale. The dmv actually has a form for dealers which is numbered and every time you sell a car you have to put on it. Where you got it, how much, who bought it and what you sold it for.

We ain't got shit like that in AZ.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:51:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's no tax that you pay when you buy private.

You would normally pay taxes on it when registering it in ca and pay to the dmv after they calculate the sales tax owed. That's why a lot of people in California "lower" the price they put on the transfer paperwork so they pay less sales tax.

I'm a dealer. Here's what you do.

Buy the car.
Print a 3 day permit from service Arizona $1

Drive it back. Simple.
No taxes  or anything. You do not need to register it in ca. Just make sure it's a title and not a lien packet.

California is lame in every sense.
As a car dealer here it's so damn easy.

In Cali you gotta jump thru so many hoops to get a license. And then to stay in business you have to report every damn sale. The dmv actually has a form for dealers which is numbered and every time you sell a car you have to put on it. Where you got it, how much, who bought it and what you sold it for.

We ain't got shit like that in AZ.
View Quote

You're a dealer? Private or factory?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 1:59:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought I read that in CA on a private sale that the seller  had to fill out a form to report the sale to the state?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:18:53 PM EDT
[#10]
CA doesn't notarize titles like we do in AZ so go to a 3rd party DMV in California and get a notarized bill of sale. You will be glad you did.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 5:35:20 PM EDT
[#11]
CA DMV says the title must be notorized?
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:42:30 PM EDT
[#12]
I called CA DMV today. Amazingly enough I actually got through to someone and had my questions answered.

- In CA with a private sale you pay no sales tax or fees, just the selling price.
- You need the title with the mileage, date of sale and both signatures.
- In CA the plates stay on the car and if it is a current registration then you drive it out of CA.
- If the seller doesn't want to give up the plates, then you must get a temp transport tag from the CA DMV, and those are $19.
- You bring the car back to AZ and pay the registration, title and taxes here.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:47:37 PM EDT
[#13]
After you buy it go through emissions, go to DMV and get a level 1 inspection and then transfer title to your name/AZ and register vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 8:56:01 PM EDT
[#14]
From AZ DMV

To title and register your out-of-state vehicle, you must have these items:

A completed, signed Title and Registration Application
An emission compliance form (Phoenix and Tucson areas only)
A Level I vehicle inspection, if out-of-state title and/or registration is missing
An out-of-state title (or registration, if title is held by lienholder)
Out-of-state license plates
A lien clearance, if applicable
Power of Attorney from the lessor (original or certified copy), if leased vehicle
Payment of all applicable title and registration fees
Link Posted: 8/16/2017 11:32:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I thought I read that in CA on a private sale that the seller  had to fill out a form to report the sale to the state?
View Quote
I bought one there years ago and that's how they collected sales tax when the new owner goes to register.  This was a loooong time ago.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 11:17:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Ok is this a used car from a private individual?

I purchased a used car from an individual in CA 3 years ago. I flew over with the mrs. and met the guy.

Went to the bank to complete the sale. In CA plates stay with the car so after the paperwork was done I drove it back to Phoenix. Went to AZ DMV branch and got AZ plates. No inspections or taxes required. Pay for tags and plates like any other vehicle.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 6:01:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

You're a dealer? Private or factory?
View Quote
private..

i dont recall ever doing a level 1 inspection. usually they reserve those inspections for like salvaged vehicles which were repaired and need to be titled so they can be on the road again.

the last few times i did it (not as a dealer)

i bought the car in cali.
had the title (they dont require notary in cali)
and just took it into the mvd and got a new az title and plates/tags
done
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 12:08:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

private..

i dont recall ever doing a level 1 inspection. usually they reserve those inspections for like salvaged vehicles which were repaired and need to be titled so they can be on the road again.

the last few times i did it (not as a dealer)

i bought the car in cali.
had the title (they dont require notary in cali)
and just took it into the mvd and got a new az title and plates/tags
done
View Quote
Level 3 is for restored salvage. Level 1 is used for out of state vehicle purchases and maybe a few other instances. All they do is check for the VIN in 1 or 2 places.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#19]
i have never done any inspections on cars brought into az as private. But maybe that could be they were newer cars.

btw thats correct. level 3 is for salvage when they restore them to roadworthy. but level 1 ive never done. maybe it has to do with cars over a certain year.
Link Posted: 8/19/2017 8:43:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Just bought a BMW 335d in San Diego:

Went there and bought it private party.
Got insurance for it.
Drove it back here with Cali plates on it.
Went to MVD, took off plate and brought that inside.
Registered it like I would any other vehicle, surrendered the plate to them, and showed my insurance.
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#21]
I bought my boat in California. I just took the paper work for the boat to game and fish and the trailer to MVD, and did the registration. I didn't have to pay tax to California. 
Link Posted: 8/22/2017 12:43:39 PM EDT
[#22]
They stopped out of state inspections about 5 years ago .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top