Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2017 2:45:10 AM EDT
I lost my Catahoula Bulldog there this (Sunday) evening.  He is 9yrs old, brown/brindle with one blue eye and one brown eye.  Has a black collar and his name his Captain.

I was right here:  Spot  It's the far south end dead-end loop of NF140 where we last saw him and we think he was headed SE.

We saw 3 Bighorn Sheep at the edge of the cliff.  I think Captain started following them.  I don't think he noticed them, because he normally tears after anything with 4 legs and makes a big ruckus when doing so.  He just sauntered off without a peep and never came back, which has NEVER happened before.  He always stays close to us or comes to check on us every few minutes or so.  Our other dog was too stupid to go look for him.

We searched, called, and whistled for hours, all over the place, to no avail.  The only thing that makes sense is he fell off a cliff and died.  Anyway, as much as I hated to do so, I had to take my wife and kids home back to Mesa.

So if any of you guys are going to be in the area, and know the spot - could you keep your eyes peeled for my boy?  I'm going to do my best to get out there tomorrow.  

Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 2:14:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Damn bud that sucks.
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn. I'll have my cousin keep an eye out. He is all over that area.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 6:15:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Thats terrible.  Sorry to hear.  I will let some friends know that are in that area occassionally
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 7:16:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry to hear this, wish I was in that area to help out
Link Posted: 8/10/2017 7:27:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I was up passed there picking berries the other day with my dog.  Those canyons are trecherous!  Sorry to hear it but hoping for the best,  it gets so windy on the edges He may not have heard the calls
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:12:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Ooops.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:13:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Hey guys, thanks to all that had an eye out or were concerned!  Great news!

After being stuck in the wilderness for 11 days, we have Captain back!  He was stuck in one of the canyons below and near what the AZGFD calls "Valentine Hill".  He was found last Thursday by some hippie hikers from Tucson.  Those wonderful people somehow heard him and got him out of the canyon.

Considering he was stuck without food, water (I'm sure he had some rainwater), and shelter for that long in some seriously unforgiving wilderness, he was in remarkable shape when we got him from the hikers.  Thank God for protecting him and for those awesome people that found him and contacted us!

homecoming1
Car ride home after the ordeal
homecoming2
Happy Cappy
homecoming3
Finally home and exhausted
homecoming4
The worst of his 'damage' on his rear paws, probably trying to climb out of the canyon

He's been sleeping a lot since the 10th.  He was very weak and was walking very gingerly despite his paws being in pretty good shape considering.  It's hard to tell from the pics, but he lost A LOT of weight (muscle).  But he's been eating well and slowly regaining his strength and vigor.  

Ol' Cappy is built Ford Tough.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 2:27:56 PM EDT
[#8]
2nd best kind of happy ending
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:19:10 PM EDT
[#9]
This is awesome! So glad for you!

I could never handle losing one of my boys in the woods.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 3:31:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Uh... that's fucking awesome.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 5:40:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Awesome ending.  I can't imagine losing one of my pups out in the woods.
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:02:52 PM EDT
[#12]
Awesome!
Link Posted: 8/14/2017 8:47:47 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks, guys!

It really is amazing that he survived and was found.  I had AZGFD and USFS officers in the area also looking out for him, as well as friends that live in the Roosevelt area.  Flyers were posted everywhere.  Gila County Animal Control in Payson and Globe were on the lookout if anyone brought him in.  The canyon where he was stuck was an area where NO ONE would ever hike.  Either these hikers look for adventure at level 13 on a scale of 1 to 10 or they were on some REALLY good drugs that put them on a vision quest like no other!  Frankly, I didn't go in that area because I figured that a) if he somehow were down there, he fell to his doom and no way he made it or b) a mountain goat couldn't climb down there and back so if I tried, I'd be the one down there feeding vultures.

I can't tell you how happy my family is that he made it back home.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 1:26:54 PM EDT
[#14]
That's outstanding, was a great ending.
Link Posted: 8/15/2017 5:13:31 PM EDT
[#15]
Wow that is incredible. Knowing the area a little, I thought for sure it was a lost cause. Congrats and glad everyone is home safe.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:29:11 AM EDT
[#16]
Awesome to hear!!! I could not imagine losing a dog or any pet and not knowing what happened to them. So hearing you got him back is freaking awesome. It's some rough terrain out here and sadly a lot of people lose critters in it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:04:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks, guys!

It really is amazing that he survived and was found.  I had AZGFD and USFS officers in the area also looking out for him, as well as friends that live in the Roosevelt area.  Flyers were posted everywhere.  Gila County Animal Control in Payson and Globe were on the lookout if anyone brought him in.  The canyon where he was stuck was an area where NO ONE would ever hike.  Either these hikers look for adventure at level 13 on a scale of 1 to 10 or they were on some REALLY good drugs that put them on a vision quest like no other!  Frankly, I didn't go in that area because I figured that a) if he somehow were down there, he fell to his doom and no way he made it or b) a mountain goat couldn't climb down there and back so if I tried, I'd be the one down there feeding vultures.

I can't tell you how happy my family is that he made it back home.
View Quote
There is a lot of good canyoneering in the Unit 23 area.  They were most likely there for that the way it sounds.

Me rapping down a 40ft+ wall in Christopher Creek Canyon...
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 1:52:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome outcome, OP. Be nice to the guy. 
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:09:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Get him set up with a GPS collar.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 7:57:18 PM EDT
[#20]
Wonderful news.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top