Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/16/2017 8:55:03 PM EDT
Could you recommend someplace to buy enough land to build a house and shoot on the property?  Would rather be in a cooler part of the state.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 9:56:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Could you recommend someplace to buy enough land to build a house and shoot on the property?  Would rather be in a cooler part of the state.
View Quote

It's going to be pretty far from a large city like Phoenix or Tucson. Cheapest land at that elevation (cooler) is going to be in the

northeast part of the state, Apache and Navajo counties.
Link Posted: 6/16/2017 11:52:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I recommend you come on over and visit the land and survey it yourself.

Where I live I know plenty of places where homeowners shoot out of their windows and patios.

We also have a thread here where a member moved from St. Louis to the outskirts of Show Low and is doing this exact thing.

@JC10311
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 12:44:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Payson.  Around 4000' elevation.  A few hot days during summer, nice winter, nice monsoon rains.  Not overcrowded, like Prescott.  Nice range(http://www.tontorimsportsclub.com/range-facilities.htm).  From my place, it's about a 7 minute quad ride to my pistol shooting spot.  A 20 minute ride or drive to a 1000 yard spot with gongs set up.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:56:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Greetings from the White Mountains, where it's a balmy 100 degrees right now.  But, it's a DY heat.  Tonight the temps will be in the low 50s.  That's still cooler than Phoenix, Tucson, etc.

I retired to a small, 75 acre property about a year ago, on a ranch that's specifically intended for residential and recreational use.  I'm a little limited on distance for my range . . . only about 800 yards.  Beyond that I would have to put the targets on the adjoining BLM land.  I'm 40 road miles from the nearest town and 85 miles from the nearest Walmart, Lowes, Harbor Freight, Safeway, and other bigger stores, but I LOVE the isolation.  There's tons of land available in this area, some a lot closer to town, but it's more expensive.  My property is mostly sandy, with some short cedars and junipers.  There are lots with more and fewer trees.  It really depends on what you're looking for.

Whatever property you look at, be SURE that you have GOOD water available somehow.  I haul mine from a community well and have a 425 gallon tank on my property.

I looked at land from northern Nevada, through Utah, and Arizona before settling on the St. Johns, AZ location.  I'd be happy to answer any questions.

The homestead right now.  I want to build a cabin here soon.

I'm totally off grid.

Link Posted: 6/17/2017 11:22:54 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm an agent specializing in Mohave County. I'm a 5th generation Arizonan, not some California transplant that pretends to know the area. Not bashing Californians per se, but I've met many that move here and are scared of rattlesnakes and cactus. One thing you need to know is that in some areas water is very deep or not existent at all. I just found a self sustaining place for a guy-2 story cabin, well, solar and wind power with backup generator on 5 acres but away from anyone for 150k. Where he's at he can shoot unsupressed and nobody would ever even know it. Places like that aren't plentiful, but they do exist. Like GSL said, you need to come visit before you decide AZ is a place you want to be. It's a wonderful place that I'm proud to call home, but it's not for everyone, and it's very unique in a way you can't understand from pictures and descriptions.
Link Posted: 6/18/2017 2:06:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm an agent specializing in Mohave County. I'm a 5th generation Arizonan, not some California transplant that pretends to know the area. Not bashing Californians per se, but I've met many that move here and are scared of rattlesnakes and cactus. One thing you need to know is that in some areas water is very deep or not existent at all. I just found a self sustaining place for a guy-2 story cabin, well, solar and wind power with backup generator on 5 acres but away from anyone for 150k. Where he's at he can shoot unsupressed and nobody would ever even know it. Places like that aren't plentiful, but they do exist. Like GSL said, you need to come visit before you decide AZ is a place you want to be. It's a wonderful place that I'm proud to call home, but it's not for everyone, and it's very unique in a way you can't understand from pictures and descriptions.
View Quote
Thanks for the advice, will consider.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top