Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2017 6:44:29 PM EDT
Title pretty much sums it up. Curious who else around enjoys camping fairly regularly this time of year.

My business is seasonal, and I'm pretty much on vacation until September or so right now. Looking to get out a lot this summer, and avoid the heat.

So, any other local camping regulars around here? Would love to meet up, and grab a beer, if so.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:05:05 PM EDT
[#1]
What kind of camping we talking about here.. glamping?  Dispersed?  Somewhere in between? LOL

We go a few times a year, I also usually go backpacking for a week each year too.  There are lots of others here too that camp as well.

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#2]
My family and I camp a couple times a month September through May, but summer is our vacation season where we do longer trips out of state with less camping involved. Still, we go out frequently enough that I rarely bother to remove the rooftop tent from my daily driver. We have volatile schedules so our trips are spontaneous, i.e. sometimes we'll go out on a Tuesday and come back Wednesday night, etc. Where we go often involves moderate 4-wheeling to get to, which further limits the folks willing/able to come with us.

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:25:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Just some good, old fashioned camping.

I usually frequent the Rim area/White mountains. Have a few popup tents in varying sizes. Fully restored and off-road outfitted M416 trailer, so I can tow plenty of gear behind my FJ, and also make it pretty much anywhere I need to go. More of the usual suspect gear from there.

Was looking to head up north at least every other week or so for the next few months.

And Outkast, spontaneity and off-roading both work for me.
Link Posted: 6/13/2017 10:49:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Link Posted: 6/13/2017 11:52:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Hijack....
What u do for work that's so seasonal, I'm looking for new job and I like that idea!
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:09:53 AM EDT
[#6]
IM sent.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:09:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Because of the wife, we mostly go to campgrounds with at least vault toilets.  We've done dispersed and she was ok with it, but it is just easier, especially with the fire pits and picnic tables.

These are the ones in our rotation.
Kehl Spring
Tonto Creek
Big Lake over near pinetop-lakeside
Riggs Flat Lake down by safford
AZHTF Shoots

I do like to have fishing near by if I can too, creek fishing specifically.

I want to do more on top the rim and more south of Williams.

Obligatory sitting in a chair relaxing and sipping a beer.  I sat there for 4 hours straight lol.  This was Mt Graham, Riggs flat lake.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:22:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah. I hear ya. My wife usually stays home.

I've got a great spot on the Rim with firepits and gorgeous views, but al fresco bathrooms, unfortunately. The wife does not like that much.

There are companies that deliver porta potties to areas around there for not much, though. We've done that a few times when bigger groups went up there for 2-3 days. The ladies love it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:28:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yeah. I hear ya. My wife usually stays home.

I've got a great spot on the Rim with firepits and gorgeous views, but al fresco bathrooms, unfortunately. The wife does not like that much.

There are companies that deliver porta potties to areas around there for not much, though. We've done that a few times when bigger groups went up there for 2-3 days. The ladies love it.
View Quote
I do the Luggable Loo for her.. aka 5 gal pail with toilet seat and waste bag system.  It aint bad at all!!
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:31:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Hah! That's what we use as well.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:44:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I do most of my camping in the fall and winter when it's killing time.  

Sometimes I'll do over night fishing trips during the summer.  The Black River on the San Carlos Res is good for that.

I was thinking about trying a camping trip to Riggs Flat this summer.  How's the weather up there in June/July?

Are you a teacher or something?  What kind of job lets you pretty much take the summer off?
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:46:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I do most of my camping in the fall and winter when it's killing time.  

Sometimes I'll do over night fishing trips during the summer.  The Black River on the San Carlos Res is good for that.

I was thinking about trying a camping trip to Riggs Flat this summer.  How's the weather up there in June/July?

Are you a teacher or something?  What kind of job lets you pretty much take the summer off?
View Quote
That photo was from May a few years ago.. it was 102-105f in the valley and up at riggs flat I was wearing a fleece with overnight lows in the low 30's.  The campground is at like 8800ft so it stays on the cooler side year round.

The lake is small and perfect for kayaks, ive never fished it though.  I will say a lot of people do visit the lake, but are there for the day and the road is FUN to drive especially at night lol.(curvy and narrow)

The lake

The view from about a 200yd walk from the campground..  It was spectacular.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 2:03:38 PM EDT
[#13]
I own a golf travel company. Business screeches to a near hault in the summer months, for obvious reasons. My partner takes care of most that rolls in this time of year.

And yeah, those high elevation spots sure can stay pretty chilly at night - even in the heart of summer. I was in Greer around the Fourth last year, and we dropped into the 30's the last night.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:03:32 PM EDT
[#14]
Are you a non member of,

AZFJ.org

There is a trip this weekend,

http://azfj.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12462

And another in August, (only 3 spots remain out of 50)

http://azfj.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12441
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 4:36:23 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Are you a non member of,

AZFJ.org

There is a trip this weekend,

http://azfj.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12462

And another in August, (only 3 spots remain out of 50)

http://azfj.org/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=12441
View Quote
Interesting...wasn't familiar with that community until now. I'm definitely a HUGE FJ fan - never selling mine. I'll look into that August trip for sure.

I'm heading up to the Rim tomorrow for 2-3 days, and then may venture over to JC10311's land near Show Low to shoot some steel.

Link Posted: 6/17/2017 7:56:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Back home a day earlier than I would've liked, but I was running a bit low on a few supplies. Will spend the rest of the weekend with the wife, and then hit the road again on Monday or Tuesday. Any suggestions? Am I to assume there are fire restrictions throughout the entire state right now?

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 5:46:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Some of us HTF locals are camping the Rim tomorrow afternoon through Saturday afternoon. If anyone else plans to be in the area as well then, and would like to meet up for a beer or whatever, shoot me an email/IM.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Awesome, have fun!

The wife, dogs, and I went to Tonto Creek last Saturday for a picnic and to let the dogs play in the water.  it was NICE.  It was mid to low 80's on the creek itself, and then we a little rain on the way back into Payson.

Wife letting our 5mo old puppy off leash in the forest for the first time.

He loved playing in the creek.

Link Posted: 6/28/2017 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Awesome, have fun!

The wife, dogs, and I went to Tonto Creek last Saturday for a picnic and to let the dogs play in the water.  it was NICE.  It was mid to low 80's on the creek itself, and then we a little rain on the way back into Payson.

Wife letting our 5mo old puppy off leash in the forest for the first time.
https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4242/35477475546_dc04382fa6_h.jpg

He loved playing in the creek.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3927/34675402214_fa746d4d76_h.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4279/34675403724_27870b5bf0_h.jpg
View Quote
Great pics. Looks like a real nice spot. I'll have to check it out sometime...
Link Posted: 7/6/2017 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Invested in a propane fire pit before this recent Rim trip. Gotta say, I no longer even remotely care if a no burn is in effect. This thing killed it for the price, performance, and complete lack of tending/maintenance required throughout the night.

Photobucket has went all Nazi recently, so here's to hoping my first try at sharing some pics via Flickr works...

Edit - believe the pics should be working now:

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top