Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2017 2:13:01 PM EDT
Cut the cord with Direct TV . Now I want to get internet at the house and do the streaming thing with a Kodi  type box. ( EZSTREAM TI8 FULLY LOADED)  . I THINK I WILL NEEED 20 TO 30 MB TO STREAM WITHOUT BUFFERING/GLITCHING. Who would be the  best for the least money Cox or Century link ?????
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:32:17 PM EDT
[#1]
DEPENDING on your location, I'd go Cox before CenturyLink.

For $30/month, CenturyLink can give you 40MB speed. If you're close enough to a DSL center. But my mom is on the west side, and can only get 1.5MB speed.
Cox's speeds are less dependent on distance from a hub. (Technical reasons.)

But that's just, like, my opinion, man. Your area will affect speed, pricing, service levels. Good Luck.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 2:51:34 PM EDT
[#2]
Cox internet is in their own realm in the valley.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 3:08:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Cox is okay, Centurylink is absolute trash. We use Western Wimax (north part of the Valley) and it's been the best ISP I've ever used.
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks , I called Western Wimax and they are not in my area. After a lot of searching I have found that Century Link is the cheapest and swears I will have 40mbps at my location for $29.99 +tax a month. They have a $60.00 install and $19.00 connect fee . I have to buy or rent a wireless dsl modem for $9.99 a month or buy one . I was going to just buy one . So what I am wondering is can I believe Century Link and trust them ? they want a 1 year contract . Anyone have Century link internet , and are happy with them and the service  Cox was nuts they wanted $69.99 a month for the same speed service. Any Century link tec's on here ?
Link Posted: 6/7/2017 8:05:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm happy with Centurylink.
Use it for Internet and phone, works perfectly with my Firestick w/Kodi.

Our speed is good, and the prices are reasonable.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 10:58:42 AM EDT
[#6]
I use cox and pay 79.99 for 300 mb down and 150 up. when I was with century link I was lucky to see 5mb down when it worked and I was paying 50 bucks a month. I also live in Sierra Vista so you will probably get better service with century link up there in Phoenix .
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks , I called Western Wimax and they are not in my area. After a lot of searching I have found that Century Link is the cheapest and swears I will have 40mbps at my location for $29.99 +tax a month. They have a $60.00 install and $19.00 connect fee . I have to buy or rent a wireless dsl modem for $9.99 a month or buy one . I was going to just buy one . So what I am wondering is can I believe Century Link and trust them ? they want a 1 year contract . Anyone have Century link internet , and are happy with them and the service  Cox was nuts they wanted $69.99 a month for the same speed service. Any Century link tec's on here ?
View Quote
CL swore that we would get 40 mbps. It took far too long to convince them to come out and test at the house. We were getting 7 max.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
CL swore that we would get 40 mbps. It took far too long to convince them to come out and test at the house. We were getting 7 max.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This is the case most of the time. They always claim you'll get the advertised speed. Regularly, in reality, you'll get fractions of it.

I've tried Century Link at two of my houses over the past few years. Their 35/40 meg packages. I averaged around 10 megs at one place, and averaged around 15 megs at the other place. Dropped them quick and went back to Cox both times.

Started with the 150 meg Cox connection at my current house. Averaged close to 170 megs with that package. Switched to their 300 meg package a couple months ago. Now averaging over 310 megs. You get what you pay for with Cox.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 4:11:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Cox usually outperforms the plan you're on, just a little.
The only time they weren't - our router was 3 years old.
Updated the router, zing!!!!

CenturyLink *tends* to over promise, IMHO.

But it's your budget. I've heard some folks have had trouble with Cox's support network. Other, no troubles. It just varies.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 7:26:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like it's Cox , but $60.00 a month just for an internet connection is a bit steep IMHO.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:43:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Cox internet kicks the shit out of CL in both performance and reliability.  Worth the extra coin.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 12:57:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So what I am wondering is can I believe Century Link and trust them ? 
View Quote
 No. 
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 1:39:07 PM EDT
[#13]
OK, I got the message and will get Cox , thanks to all who enlightened me on the subject .
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 5:37:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
OK, I got the message and will get Cox , thanks to all who enlightened me on the subject .
View Quote
Good call, you knew from the beginning, that you really wanted the cox...
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 1:08:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Had 30 speed at the old house which was ok but not great for streaming video.
Moved to new house and got Cox 300.  Speed test is usually around 310 on Ethernet.

It's nice when your wireless router is the limiting factor for mobile devices.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 3:58:52 PM EDT
[#16]
I have CL because we can't get Cox. Speed isnt that great.   And twice the DVR box has died meaning we lost everything saved on it. 
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:16:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Cut the cord with Direct TV . Now I want to get internet at the house and do the streaming thing with a Kodi  type box. ( EZSTREAM TI8 FULLY LOADED)  . I THINK I WILL NEEED 20 TO 30 MB TO STREAM WITHOUT BUFFERING/GLITCHING. Who would be the  best for the least money Cox or Century link ?????
View Quote
You might want to do a search on the Kodi addons news.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Already know about the kodi add on problems . And I know it is ongoing thing . Add-ons are not updating, add-ons are not working properly or not working at all. Yes I know certain add-ons have shut down. the 17.3 update is the latest I think , exodus updated and is working .
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 9:30:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Already know about the kodi add on problems . And I know it is ongoing thing . Add-ons are not updating, add-ons are not working properly or not working at all. Yes I know certain add-ons have shut down. the 17.3 update is the latest I think , exodus updated and is working .
View Quote
All I get is "repository not found".
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 12:08:13 AM EDT
[#20]
I am 4 miles south of Sedona and have CL

Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:59:53 PM EDT
[#21]
I am on COX.

Just hooked up the Netgear nighthawk X6 (7900)

I'm happy with my WIFI speed, well for now.  

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top