Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2017 8:23:43 PM EDT
I have a cousin that is looking to move down here.  He found a house at 79th Ave and Peoria that he really likes and was wondering about the area..  I have not been in that area of the city in quite a while.  I remember it as being a little rougher area of the city.  Has it changed any?  I know they have now built a Wal-Mart there but that is all I really know.  He is 45, married and no kid at home anymore.

Any opinions? He is looking to live west a little.
Link Posted: 3/2/2017 8:41:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I would advise a couple miles north minimum. North of the 101 even better.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:08:36 AM EDT
[#2]
Crap hole !! Keep moving northwest
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 1:50:59 AM EDT
[#3]
My daughter lived in that part of Mexico once.  And then she moved.  
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 12:28:15 PM EDT
[#4]
My brother rented a house in that area. His stories were...exciting...
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:41:15 AM EDT
[#5]
Next time you talk with him, reinforce the need to drive through perspective areas at different times of the afternoon and evening.

Also, drive to the nearest gas stations and grocery stores to get a taste of your potential neighbors.

It's tough for out-of-state buyers because the conditions around the valley can change so wildly mile by mile.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 12:29:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Grew up on 83rd and Cactus about a mile away in a slightly nicer area at the time. My parents moved to Sun City about 10 years ago (55+ only city) after the neighborhood had their Cesar Chavez celebration.

That area is crap. There are houses that have bars on the windows down the road and have for 20+ years.

North of the 101 as previously stated.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Next time you talk with him, reinforce the need to drive through perspective areas at different times of the afternoon and evening.

Also, drive to the nearest gas stations and grocery stores to get a taste of your potential neighbors.

It's tough for out-of-state buyers because the conditions around the valley can change so wildly mile by mile.
View Quote

He lives in Colorado so driving through the area is imposssible.

He is going to look in the south west Valley or Surprise area now.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 12:18:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Make sure he doesn't go to tolleson or Laveen then if going southwest .
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 5:52:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Make sure he doesn't go to tolleson or Laveen then if going southwest .
View Quote

I told him it needs to be west of 107th Ave if he is going southwest.
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:15:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I live in North Peoria. Nice area. New houses are being built left and right around Lake Pleasant and Happy Valley. They just put in a new grocery store, and a new brewery opened on 83rd ave/lake pleasant. (Richter Aleworks).
Link Posted: 3/6/2017 9:23:20 PM EDT
[#11]
double post
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Hope your cousin likes Mexican food
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:22:01 AM EDT
[#13]
He would practically be a neighbor. I live closer to 75th ave and Peoria. 

I think people replying here have no idea what a bad neighborhood is. There are *WAY* Worse neighborhoods in the valley. That being said, it isn't the nicest... but it is far from the worst. There are some low-lives in the area... myself included. 

Full disclosure, I did have a burglary a few years ago. But that can literally happen anywhere. Even the "good neighborhoods" get burglarized as thugs have things called "cars" and can drive a short distance to rob wealthier homes. I do recommend he scout the neighborhood out a bit. 

I'm from the east coast, so my definition of a bad neighborhood is a lot lower than many people here. I would consider it a run of the mill blue collar neighborhood. You'll have your fair share of low lives mixed in with blue collar workers. 

Try to avoid areas immediately next to trailer parks, or shitty looking apartment complexes and you should be fine. 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 2:30:07 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My brother rented a house in that area. His stories were...exciting...
View Quote
Aside from the one burglary I had, I have nothing exciting to share about my area at all. 
Link Posted: 3/21/2017 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Aside from the one burglary I had, I have nothing exciting to share about my area at all. 
View Quote
He would be about 2 blocks east of the Walmart at 79th Ave and Peoria.  I drove the neighbor hood and did not see bars on the windows like everyone said.  It is a little lower income area but I have been in A LOT worse neighborhoods in the valley.  Maybe my standards are not as high as most of the people here, but I am not a "high class, expensive" area type person.  That is one of the reasons I avoid Scottsdale and Fountain Hills unless absolutely necessary.
Link Posted: 3/23/2017 1:25:18 AM EDT
[#16]
As Patriot said, it's not a fantastic area, but it's not like it's Sunnyslope or Maryvale.
Also, my favorite Chinese restaurant is right there at 75th and Peoria, and 75th and Cactus has my favorite pizza shop. I haven't lived in that region in years, but I still swing over occasionally for Chinese or Pizza!
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 3:56:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I used to live in that area and went to Peoria HS when the Walmart was built. It's not that bad. Its been a few years, but just stay out of the apartments that like Peoria Ave and you will be fine. Go out to 99th ave and west and it gets better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top