Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2017 1:19:35 PM EDT
I am starting to get in the market for a decent Suppressor for my AR's.

I am just starting to do research on the many different ones.

What I'm looking for:

- Ability to change between different AR's with ease
- Size (would prefer a shorter one)
- Quality (works well)
- Price (less is better, but I'm willing to pay more for quality)

Any ideas / suggestion for a suppressor and also places for me to read up on???

Yes, I know about the Hearing Protection Act.  Regardless if that passes or not, I still plan on getting one. I'm looking to get one in the next few months probably (will probably wait to see if it does pass just so I can avoid paperwork)
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 1:37:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a YHM Phantom QD. I like it, but it's pretty heavy. Bang for the buck is pretty good though.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 2:53:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Cheap - Fast - Good... pick any two.

I have an SRT Atlas which is pretty good . It is reasonably compact, reasonably quiet, priced competitively, and it fits over a standard A2 flash hider (no need to buy multiple expensive muzzle devices). Also, they are up in Verde Valley, so no inter-dealer transfer if you are willing to drive up there.

My son has a Surefire machinegun suppressor. It is built like a tank and will outlast his grand children, but is expensive (he won it at a shooting match) and only average in sound suppression. It requires an expensive muzzle device for each rifle you will use.

I recently compared the Surefire with a friend's Silencerco titanium suppressor and was surprised that the Silencerco unit was significantly quieter. Being made from titanium, it was also lighter (you feel the weight out on the muzzle). Dunno how expensive - I imagine "very" when you get into titanium.

You will get better answers at the silencer forum.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 3:15:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I have the SilencerCo Omega for my 11.5" 5.56 SBR. I don't have a lot to compare it to but I know when I shoot it, people have asked if it was a 22 not a 5.56. I shot it in a class recently and several people were running other cans but they said the Omega is the quietest.

I also have a Thunderbeast Ultra 9. It is quieter than the Omega but I have only used the Ultra 9 on 22" and 26" 6.5 Creedmoor barrels, so that has an effect on the sound level compared to the 11.5" 5.56.

In response to your questions:

- Ability to change between different AR's with ease - The Omega is direct thread or flash hider/brake attached. It is quick and indexes consistently.
- Size (would prefer a shorter one) - It is 6" with the flat cap and I think 7.5" with the included brake.
- Quality (works well) - It is a quality can.
- Price (less is better, but I'm willing to pay more for quality) - I paid $850

It was worth it to me to buy it. I don't think I will likely shoot too much without a can anymore.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 8:19:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I really like the silencer Co cans as well. I have a 7.62 specwar and it is absolutely amazing. They stand behind their product and are a well established company in the suppressor game.

It can't be said enough, get a quality suppressor the first time around. Spend the extra cash, save up, what ever you have to do to get the can you want and one that is proven. I did not heed this advise and I have 2 almost worthless to me cans in my safe. IMHO don't get anything Huntertown Arms.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 9:30:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I forgot to add, the Omega I have is a 7.62 can that I use for both 308 and 5.56.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 10:28:54 PM EDT
[#6]
I've got a couple SilencerCo cans and an AAC, I like them all reasonably well, but if I were in the market today I'd probably be looking at Rugged and/or DeadAir.  I am also waiting to see what happens with HPA, mainly because I want to pick up a few KAC cans to go with my KAC rifles.  41f really sucks for those of us that got used to ordering cans with a trust from Silencer Shop at 4am in our underwear.

One thing I would definitely recommend is to consider whether or not you plan to ever use one on something larger than 556.  I have a full size 556 can and rarely use it, it feels as long and heavy as my 308 cans.  My other 556 can is a Saker K model and I definitely appreciate it's size when compared to the full size cans.  If you're looking at full size cans, might as well get a 308 can for flexibility.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I run the YHM Titanium cans on my ARs.  They are lightweight and cost effective for titanium.  The downside is POI impact shift can be annoying on some rifles.  I generally drop down and right about 1.5" at 50 yards.  

For that reason, I am awaiting Surefire SOCOM suppressors.  The way they mount is the same every time and they appear to have little POI shift after trying a friend's gun.  Ordering 10 flash hiders was painful and I keep forgetting about how nasty that one is going to be when they arrive at my dealer.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone have any experience with Silencer Co Hybrid? I have been thinking about getting one that will work on multiple hosts.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Anyone have any experience with Silencer Co Hybrid? I have been thinking about getting one that will work on multiple hosts.
View Quote

Mines still in jail.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 10:58:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Surefire says their cans have a 120 round limit in rapidfire.  A guy on Silencertalk had his fail just above that number.

There is a vid of an Omega being beat on like hell before failing, I think its well north of 300 plus rounds before it starts to have issues.

Other than durability, I would worry about QD functionality and size.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 9:13:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks.  

I think my biggest want is the ability to easily / quickly switch between different rifles.

I'll take a look in the silencer forum too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 12:35:42 PM EDT
[#12]
My suggestion is to get a 7.62 can, even if you only want it for 5.56, because TRUST ME, you'll want to use it on a 7.62 or .300blk later......
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:15:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My suggestion is to get a 7.62 can, even if you only want it for 5.56, because TRUST ME, you'll want to use it on a 7.62 or .300blk later......
View Quote

Yeah, I'm leaning this direction
Link Posted: 1/14/2017 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is what I plan to do also simply because I can't afford a dedicated 5.56 can and a 7.62 can. It's one or the other, at least short-term.

My short list:
1) SiCo Omega. I like the size, weight, and I've heard it's quiet... I do not particularly care for the ASR mounting system, or the fact that I will have to buy separate endcaps since I am not a fan of the stupid anchor brake.
2) Griffin Alpha. I like the weight and apparent ruggedness, and I happen to like Griffin's taper mount muzzle device selection. I don't like that it's about an inch longer than the Omega, and I could care less that it's user serviceable.
3) Dead Air Sandman S. The Keymount attachment system is the best in the business, it's short enough for me, and I hear the tone is excellent. I'm just not sure if those two things justify the extra weight and cost. If they come out with a Ti version of the S soon to drop the weight but keep everything else the same, I'd probably pre-order it immediately.

If I were to get a dedicated 5.56 can, my choice would be pretty easy... I really like the Griffin M4SD-K Mod 3.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 2:26:32 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm a noob to suppressors but of the few i've shot I liked the TBAC ultra 7 (the lack of weight and balance is very noticable)
the m4-2000 was nice as well for a QD.

I also reccomend the 30 cal can. I'm doing a form 1 30 cal myself plus a 9mm

here's my limited experience. 7.62 sdn-6 (heavy very nice on 300blk) decent on 10.5" 5.56
m4-2000 10.5" and 14.5" 5.56 (good all around package quieter than sdn-6 but sharper it seemed)
ultra 7 30 cal. 20" .308 (freakin awesome!) quieter than the 5.56 ar granted the action causes noise.
dead air mask ruger biathalon and mk3 (shit eating grin! lol the biathalon is pretty cool never seen one before)

should have a chance to try a Mini 4 here pretty soon on his 10.5" my stamps should be in sometime next month I hope.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:23:55 AM EDT
[#16]
YHM Phantom, QD adapters on all rifles.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a SiCo Omega in NFA jail.  I shot my grandpa's Omega and fell in love.

Dead Air just released the Key-Mo which mates the Omega to their muzzle devices.  It might be a worthy option if you don't like the ASR mount.

Be sure to never swap a hot suppressor onto a cold rifle.  That's how you end up with a stuck suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/17/2017 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I really like the silencer Co cans as well. I have a 7.62 specwar and it is absolutely amazing. They stand behind their product and are a well established company in the suppressor game.

It can't be said enough, get a quality suppressor the first time around. Spend the extra cash, save up, what ever you have to do to get the can you want and one that is proven. I did not heed this advise and I have 2 almost worthless to me cans in my safe. IMHO don't get anything Huntertown Arms.
View Quote

Just out of curiosity what don't you like about the Huntertown cans? I've checked them out at the shop next to SGC and they seemed pretty cool. Liked how easily they disassembled for cleaning or replacing parts or whatever. I don't know much about suppressors, so I'm genuinely interested in your input (or anyone else's) thanks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top