Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2017 11:56:39 PM EDT
Hey all,

So I was dead set for signing up at Tucson Rifle Club until I saw that Google maps said it'd be a 45min drive each way from base, which just really didn't agree with me. Trying to find a place closer to maybe 15-20m from DMAFB that's good. Preferably somewhere with a pistol pit as well as ~800-1k range for rifle.

Google shows SE Regional Park (SERP) as probably the best option that's close with TMP a little bit farther out at 30min but wanted to get some extra input as I'm positive there's some nice places to shoot that just aren't on Google. I would rather find an established range as opposed to blasting in the desert and membership fees aren't a big deal as sometimes it pays to have a more private experience IME.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 3:59:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Hey all,

So I was dead set for signing up at Tucson Rifle Club until I saw that Google maps said it'd be a 45min drive each way from base, which just really didn't agree with me. Trying to find a place closer to maybe 15-20m from DMAFB that's good. Preferably somewhere with a pistol pit as well as ~800-1k range for rifle.

Google shows SE Regional Park (SERP) as probably the best option that's close with TMP a little bit farther out at 30min but wanted to get some extra input as I'm positive there's some nice places to shoot that just aren't on Google. I would rather find an established range as opposed to blasting in the desert and membership fees aren't a big deal as sometimes it pays to have a more private experience IME.
View Quote

I teach the firearms classes at SERP  gatorfarmtactical.com  (6th Infantry)  We have a CCW class on Saturday taught by Detective Sgt Brian Kowalski, TPD.  I sponsor Massad Ayoob and have him coming to Tucson in March 4-5.  SERP is flat the best range in S AZ.  When you are there ask for a Range Master named Fred.  He is a retired AF officer who also works form me.  He will show you the ropes.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 4:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Three main options for Tucson area:

SERP

Clean range, but limited options.  One firing line, has a 50 yard berm on half and a 200 yard berm on the other half.  They do mandatory cold ranges every 15 minutes.  Lots of RO coverage.  Take that as you will, but I dislike this range for anything but doing a quick zero.

Pima Pistol Club

Up in Catalina, so probably a 45-60 minute drive from DM.  Lots of range options for members.  They have a 100 yard rifle range and a 25 yard pistol range for guests.  They also have the pit, a 50 yard handgun range, as well as 4 (?) action ranges (rifle and pistol) that can be used by members.  There is a also a 200 yard range that is open sometimes, but it blocks the road to the lower action ranges.  On the plus side, they have the action ranges that can be used by members- ROs don't bother you down there and you don't have to use a firing line.  The negative side being those ranges are often taken already by Fudd members who want a private range, or by matches or classes that have them reserved.

Tucson Rifle Club

As you said, a long drive.  They have really great amenities for rifle shooters though.  There is a 1000 yard range, though I'm not sure its always open.  It has pull targets like old military ranges.  There is a 500m steel target range that has NRA steel targets from 200-500m.  You can also drive down range to place paper at these ranges.  There are several regular ranges between these two for handgun and rifle.  There is some freedom to take an unoccupied range and run it yourself, if the Border Patrol isn't using for quals.  I've never seen an RO on the range here.

ETA: I forgot to mention that there is a range on DM.  I don't know the rules for shooting there; I shot skeet at the shotgun range there years ago.  There is a rifle range out there as well that may be open to service members in an unofficial capacity.

I hope this helps.  For what you're looking for I'd say TRC is your best option.  The drive sucks but the range is worth it.  There's also lots and lots of desert around town to shoot in, some spots are only a 20-30 minute drive from DM.
Link Posted: 1/13/2017 9:52:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Alright fellas, appreciate the input. I'll give SERP a shot this weekend and maybe try to get out to TRC sometime in the near future.
Link Posted: 1/16/2017 5:22:06 AM EDT
[#4]
The Three Points range is the best range south of Phoenix.  I live 9 minutes from SERP and I'll never, ever go there again (for reasons stated above and more)
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:38:26 PM EDT
[#5]
SERP is different depending on when you go.  If it isn't busy they'll break at longer intervals or when requested.  If you establish that you aren't an idiot they'll pretty much leave you alone.  For not being fucked with, Three Points is the way to go but SERP is fine if you go early or late in the day.  I'm two exits away so it is my go to range.
Link Posted: 1/17/2017 9:46:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
SERP is different depending on when you go.  If it isn't busy they'll break at longer intervals or when requested.  If you establish that you aren't an idiot they'll pretty much leave you alone.  For not being fucked with, Three Points is the way to go but SERP is fine if you go early or late in the day.  I'm two exits away so it is my go to range.
View Quote

Agreed in part; my chief complaints for SERP are the controlled range aspect (liability, I completely understand), and the fact that, every time I've gone, the rangemasters flock to the shooters who aren't fuds.  I got my ear talked off for over an hour, even after politely telling the old timer I was there to shoot, not chat.  Also, some coworkers and I went there to practice before quals, with our duty belts, and were yelled at for drawing from the holster.  This was a few years ago, maybe things have changed.

There's enough national forest land by my house that makes it worthwhile for short 2-3 hour range trips.  If I want to do a full day of shooting, stretch a rifle's legs, or shoot multiple rifles, driving all the way to Three Points is worth it.

My opinions only, of course.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top