Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2016 7:19:58 PM EDT
Why are there so few field days?  Is it hard to qualify as an instructor or just people not willing to do it?  They like to preach about getting kids into hunting but make it a big pain in the ass.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Why are there so few field days?  Is it hard to qualify as an instructor or just people not willing to do it?  They like to preach about getting kids into hunting but make it a big pain in the ass.
View Quote

Instructors have to work for free.  That, alone, I'd guess is the major factor.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:38:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Vic, are you looking for the full classes or just the field day test for the online course?  I was doing the online but then decided to take the in person classes with my daughter so we could try for a youth elk hunt this year. There were several available to pick from which was pretty surprising. We go next week- 3 days at Bass and a Saturday at Ben Avery.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:55:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 11:28:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just out of curiosity, is the point of the class so your kids can hunt big game before they turn 14?
View Quote

Yes, and give you a hunters ed bonus point.
Link Posted: 1/2/2017 2:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Did the online class . Trying to get in a field day.

I really think they need to change this. I have been putting in every year since I was old enough to hunt in AZ.  That should count for something with my kids hunting.  I think hunters with loyalty point should be able to bypass this crap at the very least.  My cousin's were lost to this crap a few years back.  They were interested in going hunting but their dad couldn't find the time to get a field day . I offered to take them hunting and to pay for everything but at the time I had a much busier work schedule and I couldn't get them to a field day either. It was very discouraging to them and they lost interest.     Really pisses me off they want to keep hunting alive but don't realize that interest is a fleeting moment for kids .   You need to be able to jump on it before Facebook gets them.

Doesn't matter for my kids so much since they go with me anyways but it sure mattered for my cousin's.  That's two possible hunters that were lost.
Link Posted: 1/12/2017 12:05:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I was looking into it in Tucson, I even contacted them and they gave an excuse that it is during hunting season and they are all too busy. The problem is that I have been checking it off and on for over a year and there are no field days in southern Arizona. Heck I have not even been able to find a class locally. we will need to take it online.

I agree, it seems like they don't want new hunters.
Link Posted: 1/24/2017 4:22:37 AM EDT
[#7]
i got into one just barely. grandpa happened to check on it right when they posted and called me.

just seems silly that its a requirement for children of seasoned hunters.  online course for parent and child should be enough to brush up on some of the state laws
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top