Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/5/2016 9:59:23 AM EDT
I've been working for a local ambulance company, and have been thinking I was doing fairly well. Well, I recently started working with a new medic who started lodging a ton of complaints against me. I had worked with quite a few medics who thought highly of me, and my driving (Many of these medics were 30 year veterans in the field). I even worked with some supervisors, at least one of which really thought my driving was acceptable and had no idea where these complaints were coming from. 

Anyways, I was placed on admin leave on Friday.... and yesterday I finally heard back from my union reps. I was in a conference call and they basically told me that the company was going to be terminating my employment. They stressed that everyone involved up to even the county chief of operations fought hard against upper management to keep me employed, but my file was just too thick as far as driving complaints. Everyone had nothing but positive things to say about my work ethic, my attitude, my care for patients, and my passion for the job. They told me that there was a non-driving position they would have offered, but they didn't have any openings. 

I'm really broken up by this, since I'm really going to miss everyone I worked with. It was quite possibly the best job I've ever had, and some of the best memories I've ever had at a workplace. I'm going to also sorely miss the supportive supervisor staff, that apparently had my back... and that was according to the union representatives (Who don't usually have much positive things to say about management). 

I'm looking forward to a future outside of EMS. I became an EMT because I always wanted to serve my country. I had that opportunity robbed from me at 21, when I was shot. No way I could pass that physical after that. So eventually I went into EMS thinking I can at least serve my community. Well,... It's been 2.5 years at a Detox facility as an EMT,... and then working on an ambulance for just shy of 1.5 years. So it kinda adds up to about a 4 year stint. I really wished I could have stuck around for just a couple years more before moving onto something else... but life is crazy like that sometimes.

Anyways, right now I am between jobs and will not be eligible for unemployment since I have tendered my resignation. I resigned in order to maintain a rehire-able status, and also leave the company on good terms with good notes in my file. 

Long term, I am thinking of either getting into the IT Field... or possibly applying at the IBEW to begin an Electrician's apprenticeship program. In the short term, though, I need a job to keep from wearing down my savings that I Worked so hard to save up. If anyone has any advice, or any job leads that I can pursue.... feel free to let me know. 

Aside from working at the Detox facility and Ambulance company... I have many years experience working in security, but I just need to get my guard card renewed. I am hoping for at least a job making somewhere in the neighborhood of $28k-$30K yr, as that would be about equivalent to my job at the ambulance company... but even an minimum wage job in the short term would help keep me from having to dip into my savings. My house is paid off, and my monthly bills are very low. Even $900 a month would be enough to pay my bills, fill my stomach and gas tank

. I do have a pre-planned (prior to knowing this was going to happen) trip to out of the country to go visit my Filipina girlfriend, which I still plan on going... since the flight was expensive and is non-refundable. I will be leaving on January 10th... so I perhaps just need a temp job until then, and when I get back... I should have my guard card processed and be able to start applying at some security jobs. I did leave my last Security employer under good circumstances, so I likely can go back. 

Anyways, any advice, encouragements, leads, etc would be very much appreciated. I'm tryng to keep my head up... especially with the knowledge that my previous employer thought so highly of me enough to fight so hard for my job.  
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 11:46:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry to hear about you losing your job during the Holidays. I hope a better opportunity presents itself.

Why would they keep you paired with someone that constantly files complaints against you?  It seems like they would have had someone do a ride along or move you to someone else.  Seems fucky...
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 2:07:02 PM EDT
[#2]
https://sjobs.brassring.com/TGnewUI/Search/Home/Home?partnerid=26003&siteid=5325##jobDetails=321561&loggedIn=false

Check these guys out.

We just hired this agency to provide contract security at our facility.  We've been happy with them so far, and so are the guards that were hired by Whelan.

This posting above is looking for EMTs.  I dont know any other details.
Link Posted: 12/5/2016 3:21:32 PM EDT
[#3]
That sucks.  I was recently laid off when our company merged with another and we got the boot.  I had a spotless record running a $2.6m operation until the new managers came in.  Then it was drop paper on everyone for anything. Sucks, but that's life.  

Regarding "quitting before being terminated", as a former hiring manager I'll tell ya that th chance of getting rehired with a "thick file" is almost nil.  Honestly, don't kid yourself. Do what makes you happy in life and you'll always be happy.  I wish you the best of luck in your search.  What area do you live in?
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 12:59:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That sucks.  I was recently laid off when our company merged with another and we got the boot.  I had a spotless record running a $2.6m operation until the new managers came in.  Then it was drop paper on everyone for anything. Sucks, but that's life.  

Regarding "quitting before being terminated", as a former hiring manager I'll tell ya that th chance of getting rehired with a "thick file" is almost nil.  Honestly, don't kid yourself. Do what makes you happy in life and you'll always be happy.  I wish you the best of luck in your search.  What area do you live in?
View Quote

I live in Peoria, around 75th ave and Peoria Ave. I would preferably like to have a job closer to home, especially if the job is low paid... since that way I can lower my monthly expenses.

ETA: I wanted to add that I wasn't holding out much hope for being rehired.. at least not in a time frame that I wouldn't get another job first.
That being said, do you know how unrealistic it is for me to get a job making a measley $28K/yr? I only have my EMT certification, and a bunch of experience in Security. I am also quite knowledgeable about computers, but likely not employable for IT purposes *YET*. 
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:00:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Double tap
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 2:28:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been out of work for nearly two months for a virtually identical reason, so I feel for you.

I have a young daughter so it has been very nice being home for the holidays for a change. I worked in sales / project management in the construction industry so even during our slow season (winter) I was always traveling for one reason or another. My wife works full time so we are stable enough. Not much left over at the end of the month but at least we're not missing any payments or anything like that.

Best of luck brother. Life sucks sometimes but hopefully it's for the best in the end.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 4:17:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

I live in Peoria, around 75th ave and Peoria Ave. I would preferably like to have a job closer to home, especially if the job is low paid... since that way I can lower my monthly expenses.

ETA: I wanted to add that I wasn't holding out much hope for being rehired.. at least not in a time frame that I wouldn't get another job first.
That being said, do you know how unrealistic it is for me to get a job making a measley $28K/yr? I only have my EMT certification, and a bunch of experience in Security. I am also quite knowledgeable about computers, but likely not employable for IT purposes *YET*. 
View Quote

Southwest Ambo has a fleet near 99th & Olive. May not be the best option as I don't know much about them, but it's close and an option.  I'm thinking we need to have a Metro Phx HTG meet sometime in the future.  There's enough of us in the west valley to have a little fun.
Link Posted: 12/6/2016 1:02:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Southwest Ambo has a fleet near 99th & Olive. May not be the best option as I don't know much about them, but it's close and an option.  I'm thinking we need to have a Metro Phx HTG meet sometime in the future.  There's enough of us in the west valley to have a little fun.
View Quote
I worked for AMR, which now owns Southwest ambo.... so that isn't really an option for me. AMR bought rural metro, SW ambo, and PMT not too long ago. 
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 4:38:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I worked for AMR, which now owns Southwest ambo.... so that isn't really an option for me. AMR bought rural metro, SW ambo, and PMT not too long ago. 
View Quote

Priority just started, and ABC is also around. Verde Valley ambo or Guardian if you don't mind a move up north....
Link Posted: 12/8/2016 8:59:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Perhaps start looking into college and getting a degree to use towards a career outside of EMS? Maybe look into a bio degree or go into something else that interests you.

How did you get a GF outside of the US? Just curious.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 11:29:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Hang in there ! A lot depends on how mobile you are. The son of a friend of mine got his emt cert and is working a "temp" position in ems in the dunes around Yuma- it is actually a job with the forest service and while not considered a permanent job , as I understand it is a way in the door to permanent positions with the agency. Also consider ( would not be my choice but everyone is different) many counties have entry level jail deputy positions available which can be a stepping stone to bigger positions as well, and also consider a job as a dispatcher as I see these positions currently open as well.
If you can get some good refs from those supportive supervisors you may be able to get back in the saddle sooner than you think!
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 3:17:01 AM EDT
[#12]
We are of course always hiring at the Night Vision plant in Tempe.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 9:30:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Details?
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 12:17:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Perhaps start looking into college and getting a degree to use towards a career outside of EMS? Maybe look into a bio degree or go into something else that interests you.

How did you get a GF outside of the US? Just curious.
View Quote
Regarding the advice. Right now I'm just concentrating on my short term employment needs. I all ready have my long term goals sort of figured out. I'm thinking of pursuing either some sort of IT education, or maybe getting into the IBEW's electrician apprenticeship program. 

I just completed my unarmed security class, and will be taking my armed security class on Monday and then submitting both cert applications to the state concurrently. I have a lot of experience over the years, before EMS, in Security. So it should help. 

As for the girlfriend. I met her on a christian dating site. She's an english teacher and Christian missionary in Bangkok, Thailand. We actually video skype all the time.
Link Posted: 12/17/2016 3:53:57 PM EDT
[#15]
First, OP, Im sorry to hear about your job situation.  

Second, And i could be wrong here, but IMO, AZ (specially metro phx area) is always in need of medical type jobs/people.  If you have your certs (which im sure you do) I would stay in that field.  maybe try a *entry* job at a hospital and work up there.  Sorry, i dont know much about the field but I do know there is plenty of job growth in the area.   IMO, you woud be waisting time in the IT field.  its already oversaturated.  Im 35 and i remember going through college, EVERYONE was pushing to do SOMETHING with computers.  now everyone and their mother have some type of IT degree and they are working CS or IT support for some company.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I think that Maricopa County has uniformed security guys that are employed by the County at some of the buildings downtown.  A resume with security and a current EMT cert might look good to them.

Probably way better gig than contract security.

The contract security guys that work at the Social Security offices and ICE and some of the other Fed buildings make $55K a year, without OT. Dont remember the name of the company.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 9:51:51 PM EDT
[#17]
G4S and FJC have several of the contracts.  FJC was recently bought by Allied Barton / Universal Protection so I'm sure that company is going to crash pretty soon.
Link Posted: 12/18/2016 11:48:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
G4S and FJC have several of the contracts.  FJC was recently bought by Allied Barton / Universal Protection so I'm sure that company is going to crash pretty soon.
View Quote

The G4S ICE guys are transportation and I think mostly some kind of prior LE, corrections or MP. Plus, if he had a hard time driving the ambulance, may not want him terrifying a bus load of illegals.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 11:11:25 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I think that Maricopa County has uniformed security guys that are employed by the County at some of the buildings downtown.  A resume with security and a current EMT cert might look good to them.

Probably way better gig than contract security.

The contract security guys that work at the Social Security offices and ICE and some of the other Fed buildings make $55K a year, without OT. Dont remember the name of the company.
View Quote
Can you find out for me? 
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 12:23:02 PM EDT
[#20]
If you want to get into IT, a good place to start is tech support somewhere. I think Apollo Group (University of Phoenix) still has a support center here in Phoenix and they probably start pay in that range. They will take people with some computer skills and train the rest of it as would any other tech support job. You gotta go into it knowing what it is, and use it to gain experience and time with other geeks though. Spend your free time studying for what you want to do in IT (CCNA, MCSE, VMware, Oracle, SQL, etc). Its basically a shit job in the industry but a good place to learn troubleshooting skills that apply to everything.

That said, a lot of people go there and make it a career. Thats a choice. If you want to learn and grow, its a stepping stone. A place to get a pay check while you study. Read between calls, read at lunch/break. Get invested in the new technologies and get a job somewhere else.
Link Posted: 12/19/2016 10:41:46 PM EDT
[#21]
No interest in working at a hospital? Banner Thunderbrird or Boswell are not too far away.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:08:23 AM EDT
[#22]
OP...do you know anything about cars?  

https://corporate.oreillyauto.com/onlineapplication/careerpage/jobDetails/23193?area=3&category=&status=&state=&cityzip=&radius=

Starts in the $16-$17 per hour range depending on experience and background.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#23]
Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/21/2016 11:01:31 PM EDT
[#24]
OP, you should look into the programs at Estrella Mountain CC. They have the Southwest Skills Center associated with them. All/most the community colleges offer an associate's in nursing.

Estrella/SWSC is different in they offer an LPN certificate (practical nurse). The good news is that it's short (less than a year once you have prereqs), tuition is VERY reasonable and LPNs make $20-25 an hour. My sister in law did this. It's good for her since she's not a big fan of school.The downside is many of these credits don't transfer, but you can make an honest wage with a tad of effort vs a standard 2/4 year program. You could always look into the RN program as well. GCC and Estrella Mtn offer it.

The same place has a pharmacy technician program (estrella). It's less than a year, doesn't gouge you like the private healthcare vocational schools, and sets you up for the PTCB test (pharm tech cert board). Techs make anywhere from $11-20/hour depending on where you go. I'm currently a pharmacist, but was a tech before I went to school for it. Back then, Walgreens did on the job training and even paid for the tech test. I don't know if they still do or not, though. As for pay, Walgreens is toward the lower end for techs typically. EM pharmacy tech program  12 weeks, tuition around 1k

Both these careers are in the health field. As you know the boomers are retiring and it will be very hard to be replaced by robots in this field. So, job security for quite some time.

SWCC at Estrella Mtn

Looks like SWCC also offers medical coding, a career where you can work from home in some cases.

Let me know if you have any questions that I can help with.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 1:13:13 PM EDT
[#25]
OP: I think we spoke about this before a year or so ago. You can try with this company below. They recently took over the government security contract for WAPA in the Phoenix area. These are Service Contract Act positions, so they probably pay in the 18-24 dollar per hour range. I'm not sure if they're hiring right now since I am not associated with this company.

Click here

Either that, or cash out and see how things go in the Philippines.
Link Posted: 12/26/2016 3:10:18 PM EDT
[#26]
I have no idea what they pay but the last time I was in the Walgreen's at 67th Ave and Peoria they had a sign up that they were looking for pharmacy technicians and would train them. At least it would be close to where you are located and you could probably work around school hours.
Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 7:49:28 PM EDT
[#27]
Holy crap dude you go through jobs. As for finding a new one try https://www.indeed.com. Also try a temp agency as you said you needed something that you can quit soon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top