Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2016 10:37:32 PM EDT
Hello!

Anyone bought their christmas tree permit for the Coronado National Forest?  I was going to buy a permit ($10) this thursday over the phone and was hoping to see if anyone else was interested in going down to the Dragoons or Chiricahua area for a tree?   Its pretty fun and a good way to get out there and explore.

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:24:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I didnt even know this was a thing.  Tell me more.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 2:14:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Tonto, Coconino, and a few others sell tree cutting permits for 10-15 bucks.  The usually have areas of the forest that they want you to cut them down in.

We tried Tonto last year and failed.  The weekend we went it snowed 6"+ and we only had a FWD car that was not able to use chains.  So we went as far as we could in the areas that were designated but struck out.  The area I wanted to get too was higher up along the edge of the rim but could not make it.  Home Depot FTW.

I suggest you do a pre-scouting trip and mark multiple trees with GPS to come back and get with your family.

I have a 4x4 that I trust again so we will be trying again probably next year... we just dont have time this year.

Here is the link to Tonto just for reference.  Each forest is going to be different. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto/passes-permits/forestproducts/?cid=fseprd523531

They do sell out fast.  My wife had to drive to a ranger station 1hr away to score one when we did it.

GLHF!!
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#3]
100% interested.

Anyone want to grab me a Tonto pass when they get theirs? Checking to see if anyone on some other forums are up towards Payson as well
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:16:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Tonto, Coconino, and a few others sell tree cutting permits for 10-15 bucks.  The usually have areas of the forest that they want you to cut them down in.

We tried Tonto last year and failed.  The weekend we went it snowed 6"+ and we only had a FWD car that was not able to use chains.  So we went as far as we could in the areas that were designated but struck out.  The area I wanted to get too was higher up along the edge of the rim but could not make it.  Home Depot FTW.

I suggest you do a pre-scouting trip and mark multiple trees with GPS to come back and get with your family.

I have a 4x4 that I trust again so we will be trying again probably next year... we just dont have time this year.

Here is the link to Tonto just for reference.  Each forest is going to be different. http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tonto/passes-permits/forestproducts/?cid=fseprd523531

They do sell out fast.  My wife had to drive to a ranger station 1hr away to score one when we did it.

GLHF!!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

GLHF!!

Good planning with the GPS
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:23:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coronado/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD523961

You can call in to buy your permit instead of driving all the way down to Douglas.  I have a 4x4 SUV and I have been to the forest area right outside of the Chiricahua National Monument.  I wish they would post the tree maps online before purchasing the permit.
Link Posted: 12/9/2016 1:39:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Did you go yet? We went last Saturday to the Chiracahuas  and got a tree off Bar foot road. First time out that way, and an awesome experience.  It was foggy and snowing a little, make sure your vehicle is up for it.
Link Posted: 12/10/2016 10:41:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Yes I did go and get a tree down by Dragoon near the old Butterfield Stage Coach stop about 1/2 mile from Dragoon Springs.  The trail was a little tight in my LX450 but I managed to get the tree loaded up by myself.  Definitely slim pickings as far as suitable looking trees but after about an hour of walking around I found a good one.  

I was thinking of hitting up the Chiricahuas next year as I used to work out there.  How were the trees down that way?
Link Posted: 12/11/2016 3:35:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/14/2016 1:34:53 AM EDT
[#9]
First time ever out there, we had to go high, it was so foggy that at times you couldnt see the hillside. the ranger lady said the forest is considered "recoverd" and there "should" be some good growth, but the new generation trees are way too small. 75 percent of the forest was burned in "11. I searched internet images and tried to match with the cutting map. I gotta say, there was a lot of pressure from the wife to get a tree that she liked since we got such a clunker last time up near Showlow. We finally found one , it was about 20 years old, a nice Douglas Fir.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top