Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/29/2016 7:42:49 PM EDT
There is a job opportunity out in Douglas within my company.  Can anyone tell me about the place?  All I know is it is a small border town.  I have a family with kids that range from high school age to toddlers.  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Douglas is a shit hole!
Link Posted: 8/29/2016 8:06:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Douglas is a shit hole!
View Quote

Yeah, Douglas is a AZ border town with Agua Prieta Mexico.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 1:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

There is a job opportunity out in Douglas within my company.  Can anyone tell me about the place?  All I know is it is a small border town.  I have a family with kids that range from high school age to toddlers.  Thanks in advance.
View Quote

They would need to may me A LOT of money to live there.  Small, rundown and lots of border issues.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 9:12:12 AM EDT
[#4]
I like Sierra Vista... that would be an easy commute for work.  Also, there are some rural places north that will get you away from border drama.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 11:03:36 AM EDT
[#5]
It would have to be a lot of money to go from Idaho to Douglas, AZ.  Besides the dramatic change in climate, the biggest concern I would have the very low performing schools in the area.  Sierra Vista, or maybe Bisbee would be better choices to live and then commute, but they still are not without their problems.  I am willing to bet it would be a huge culture shock.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 12:29:33 PM EDT
[#6]
I work there but do not live there. It's a small isolated dirty border town. There are places to commute from that aren't so bad. I don't have any children, but from what I hear the Douglas schools are not so great. You could live in Sierra Vista or hereford but keep in mind the nearest "real" city is tucson and that's still more than an hour away.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 5:36:40 PM EDT
[#7]
i hunt around douglous a lot for whitetail, but i would probably avoid it for living wise.
Link Posted: 8/30/2016 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I lived there for two years.

The range is five minutes from everywhere in town,

That is the only redeeming quality.  And I still have a lot of friends in Douglas.

Work in Douglas, live in/commute from Sierra Vista.

DO NOT LIVE IN DOUGLAS.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 3:22:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That is the only redeeming quality.  And I still have a lot of friends in Douglas.

DO NOT LIVE IN DOUGLAS.
View Quote

+1000 for Live in Sierra Vista and commute. Some friends of my wife were facing the exact same decision that OP is facing. They chose that option and they're super happy about it.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

+1000 for Live in Sierra Vista and commute. Some friends of my wife were facing the exact same decision that OP is facing. They chose that option and they're super happy about it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

DO NOT LIVE IN DOUGLAS.

This really needs to be said again. DO NOT LIVE IN DOUGLAS! I live in sierra vista and like it. So if you don't mind a bit of a commute you could live in Sierra Vista. I think it is about 40 to 45 minutes to Douglas from Sierra Vista. Hereford is kind of a good middle ground but then you are living in Hereford. Also be warned much of the area is over 4000 feet above sea level so there will be some adjusting to do.
Link Posted: 8/31/2016 10:04:23 PM EDT
[#11]
yep, what everyone else has said.  Was the job offer to work for the cartel? because they are largest employer in Douglas.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 12:09:36 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't like staying the night in a motel there for work, never mind live there.
On the plus side, the Denny's serves chips and salsa with breakfast.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:41:56 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the replies and the suggestions to commute from Sierra Vista.  My initial thought was the place looked pretty bad, I did not consider commuting so thanks for putting that out there.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top