Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2016 1:39:00 PM EDT
I got a unit 9 turkey tag for Sep 30-Oct 6. Never hunted turkey, so I'm in for something new at least. What did you guys all get?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:58:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Didn't get drawn. What a shocker.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 4:04:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

What about elk or antelope earlier this year? Turkey is the only tag I have this year, and I don't know anything about them. You should come guide me!
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:01:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 5:21:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I drew the second whitetail hunt in 36A.  I was kind of hoping for a 35B mule deer tag this year but  I love hunting coues deer and I've killed one each of the past 2 seasons in 36A so I'm still happy.

It sounds like you are on a long losing streak for deer.  What hunts have you been putting in for and how many tags are available for them?  Are you going to pickup a leftover tag?

The things to remember about turkey is that they can see really well and run really fast.  And by fast, I mean like Usain Bolt fast.  They are also stronger than hell. I used number 2 high velocity duck loads this past spring because it's what I had and I still ended up shooting my bird 4 or 5 times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I drew the second whitetail hunt in 36A.  I was kind of hoping for a 35B mule deer tag this year but  I love hunting coues deer and I've killed one each of the past 2 seasons in 36A so I'm still happy.

Quoted:

It sounds like you are on a long losing streak for deer.  What hunts have you been putting in for and how many tags are available for them?  Are you going to pickup a leftover tag?

Quoted:
Quoted:

What about elk or antelope earlier this year? Turkey is the only tag I have this year, and I don't know anything about them. You should come guide me!

The things to remember about turkey is that they can see really well and run really fast.  And by fast, I mean like Usain Bolt fast.  They are also stronger than hell. I used number 2 high velocity duck loads this past spring because it's what I had and I still ended up shooting my bird 4 or 5 times.

Whoa. Good to know!
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 6:23:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

It sounds like you are on a long losing streak for deer.  What hunts have you been putting in for and how many tags are available for them?  Are you going to pickup a leftover tag? Yes, I will probably pick up a whitetail tag for border areas. I don't put in for trophy units or anything like that.

The things to remember about turkey is that they can see really well and run really fast.  And by fast, I mean like Usain Bolt fast.  They are also stronger than hell.  I used number 2 high velocity duck loads this past spring because it's what I had and I still ended up shooting my bird 4 or 5 times. 3" #4 turkey shot has always worked well for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

It sounds like you are on a long losing streak for deer.  What hunts have you been putting in for and how many tags are available for them?  Are you going to pickup a leftover tag? Yes, I will probably pick up a whitetail tag for border areas. I don't put in for trophy units or anything like that.

Quoted:
Quoted:

The things to remember about turkey is that they can see really well and run really fast.  And by fast, I mean like Usain Bolt fast.  They are also stronger than hell.  I used number 2 high velocity duck loads this past spring because it's what I had and I still ended up shooting my bird 4 or 5 times. 3" #4 turkey shot has always worked well for me.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 8:16:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 9:15:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You're going to have to use a shotgun. Seriously, no joke.

Might be best to make a thread in GD and ask your cola buddies which shotgun round and which shotgun to use then prepare your anus.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:22:24 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Might be best to make a thread in GD and ask your cola buddies which shotgun round and which shotgun to use then prepare your anus.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got a few shotguns, I'll eeny meeny miney moe.

Seriously, I think I have 7 or 8.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:27:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No balls!
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:42:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Kaibab turkey
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:08:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Same here. Comes down to got drawn for more bonus points.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:12:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Whoa. Good to know!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Whoa. Good to know!

On my last 2 turkey hunts, I had success with 6 shot out of my 20 ga. 1 shot 1 kill. Always aim for the head. A body shot will only result in you watching your food run away.

Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:58:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
No balls!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No balls!

Que?
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#14]
I'll call you tomorrow and explain after I get back from my visit to to the surface of the sun called Yuma
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 1:24:41 AM EDT
[#15]
Mule deer in unit 22
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:19:28 AM EDT
[#16]
18A deer
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:51:05 AM EDT
[#17]
Dad and I got drawn for any antlered deer in Unit 7.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:08:59 PM EDT
[#18]
my kids got drawn for 12A west antlerless.

They're stoked and so am I!

Both of my kids will probably have killed a deer or elk before I even get drawn lol
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:37:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
my kids got drawn for 12A west antlerless.

They're stoked and so am I!

Both of my kids will probably have killed a deer or elk before I even get drawn lol
View Quote

That's awesome. Good luck to you guys. I sure miss hunting with my grandpa, your kids are lucky to have you share the outdoors with them.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:38:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
18A deer
View Quote

What part of AZ are you located? That's a pretty popular hunt with the Kingman deer hunters, I've spent time up there calling coyotes, but never had a tag for anything there.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:27:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Nada.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:24:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
What part of AZ are you located? That's a pretty popular hunt with the Kingman deer hunters, I've spent time up there calling coyotes, but never had a tag for anything there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

18A deer

I live out by Luke AFB.

Spend quite a bit of time in Seligman.

Great country up there!

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:01:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Nothing here for me, but im going get a leftover tag like i do every yr.

I think imma start filming my hunts and make educational films.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:18:56 PM EDT
[#24]
36b as usual! - Coues early hunt

Link Posted: 7/22/2016 9:28:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 6:00:44 AM EDT
[#26]
21 Deer
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 11:38:45 PM EDT
[#27]
Unit 22 Whitetail

Unit 22 Antlered Elk

Can anyone say FUCK YEAH!!!!
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 2:01:41 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Unit 22 Whitetail

Unit 22 Antlered Elk

Can anyone say FUCK YEAH YOU!!!!
View Quote

FIFY.

Lucky bastard.
Link Posted: 7/24/2016 4:20:38 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
FIFY.

Lucky bastard.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Unit 22 Whitetail

Unit 22 Antlered Elk

FIFY.

Lucky bastard.

This right here.

Link Posted: 7/24/2016 8:37:25 PM EDT
[#30]
17A Any Antlered
Link Posted: 7/25/2016 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
This right here.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unit 22 Whitetail

Unit 22 Antlered Elk

FIFY.

Lucky bastard.

This right here.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 2:18:53 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Unit 22 Whitetail

Unit 22 Antlered Elk

Can anyone say FUCK YEAH!!!!
View Quote

which bull elk hunt did you get? I have the last rifle hunt in dec.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#33]
23 mule deer  and elk later on too.  Good year for me
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 6:11:48 PM EDT
[#34]
16a any antlered. It's a tough hunt but my daughter and I have busy schedules and this is the only unit that allows us to scout multiple times before hand. Very excited.
Link Posted: 7/28/2016 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What part of that unit do you hunt?  I usually hunt the West end near Sasabe for mule deer during archery season but I see whitetail too in the rougher stuff.  I know there is a good population of white tail in the hills near Arivaca Lake and along Ruby Rd also.  I saw a really nice whitetail buck on the refuge back in February while pig hunting.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
36b as usual! - Coues early hunt

What part of that unit do you hunt?  I usually hunt the West end near Sasabe for mule deer during archery season but I see whitetail too in the rougher stuff.  I know there is a good population of white tail in the hills near Arivaca Lake and along Ruby Rd also.  I saw a really nice whitetail buck on the refuge back in February while pig hunting.

Arivaca area is where I like to hunt. Some of the country is tough but pays off. Lots of great mulies all over the unit out there! Theres just something I love about chasing coues in those hills! Best of luck to you out there!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top