Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/27/2016 8:59:25 PM EDT
After several years of being on the road for work, I decided it was time to relocate the family. We now live in Phx after 11 years in Prescott Valley. To get to the obvious one, I know it's hot down here - our recreation takes us all over the state and my job has me in the Valley most of the time.

What I'm looking for are tips and tricks for living here - we are in the north Phx area. I.E. things I shouldn't store in my garage, things never to leave in the sun, brands of backyard products to avoid, how to help cool the house down, etc. I've already learned that Powerbars + a night in the truck = Powerbar soup.

Muchas gracias in advance.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:27:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Anything battery operated should stay out of the garage aka drill batteries. I use powerful fans in the house so I don't have to crank down the ac so much. Sunshades on facing Windows help a lot on power also. Don't leave prescription glasses in your car it will put waves in them.  I'd say a good leaf blower is a must to clean patios walkways and driveway garage hell they also make quick work for cleaning fans and ac filters.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 9:34:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Don't leave anything out in the sun that you want, it kills everything. The heat will kill your car batteries every couple of years, so be ready. Cooling the house in the early morning with outside air works until about the time we start hitting 100, then the nights don't really get cool anymore. Swamp cooler will work until monsoons when the humidity goes up, then AC is pretty much mandatory. And when the Ha-boobs hit, turn the a off so it doesn't get clogged up.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:02:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm sorry.

MIsters and roll up shades on a good back patio. A pool.
Good  house window shades
Good Car Window Shade along with limo tint.
Either keep nothing sensitive (batteries, fluids, perishable items) in the garage or insulate it and run a  separate AC to keep it at below 90.
Realistically, keep nothing in the truck that isn't indestructible, otherwise the sun and heat is just going to kill it.

Hope you like your new more expensive power bill. Hope you are not in the urban heat sink or if you are, enjoy the over 100 degree nights. (Why I loved living north of AJ, it at least cooled off at night)

I'm Sorry.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:06:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Keep your ammo fort and powder inside, it's too hot in the garage. Plus whatever the other guys said, sun shades, bamboo blinds, and embrace the suck.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 10:53:36 PM EDT
[#5]
No west facing windows. If you have west facing windows, I suggest going to home depot and blocking it with thick and reflective styrofoam insulation from home depot. Cut to shape and insert into window frame.

During the summer hours enjoy the period from 5:00 AM to 11:00 AM. It's a little hot after that.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 11:41:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Plan on replacing your car batteries every 2 years.  They get nuked here.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:47:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep your ammo fort and powder inside, it's too hot in the garage. Plus whatever the other guys said, sun shades, bamboo blinds, and embrace the suck.
View Quote

So ammo in ammo cans in the garage is a no-go?

How about food storage (sealed buckets of hard grains)?
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:52:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Some wheat grain is effected by temps as low as 120 degrees...
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 6:24:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Glen,

Bring all of your ammo, food stores & reloading supplies to my place for safe keeping. I will even do regular quality testing to assure everything is in working order at no cost.

Sorry to see you leaving our area but I can understand your reasons.

Best

Rich

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 10:55:29 AM EDT
[#10]
Your ammo will be fine in the garage.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:25:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've kept all my ammo in the garage (some as long as 10 years) with zero issues, same with reloading supplies/components.  

We have a lot of emergency food that we keep in the house to be safe.

As mentioned over and over.... SUN SHADES! They make a serious difference.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:14:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

This is true.

Food, however, should be kept inside. Under the beds is a good place for keeping it out of sight.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 9:38:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Your call, my closet is 78 degrees, but hey, if you don't like your family soo much, be my guest.

http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/how-to-store-ammo/

It takes more than just a warm day to detrimentally impact ammunition—SAAMI believes the breakdown begins around 150 degrees Fahrenheit. There are very few environments where stored ammo can reach those extremes, but the trunk of a vehicle is one of them.

“Definitely avoid storing ammunition in a car on a hot sunny day—that’s probably the single most likely scenario that could cause problems for the average shooter,” Patterson explained. “With extremely high temperatures, you get rapid degradation of the ammunition components. The case and bullets are relatively inert in terms of temperature, but the chemical properties of the gunpowder and priming mixture can be affected … Over time, you’ll see a drop in performance, perhaps to the point of going click rather than bang.”

Theoretically, extreme cold could eventually impact ammunition, but it isn’t worth your concern. High heat kills otherwise good ammo, and that’s the primary thing to avoid in regards to temperature. Rapid fluctuations could, however, also prove detrimental over time. So if you’re among the many Americans storing shells in garages, perhaps you should reconsider.

Read more: http://www.gunsandammo.com/ammo/how-to-store-ammo/#ixzz4A0LGKuAq

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:12:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Your call, my closet is 78 degrees, but hey, if you don't like your family soo much, be my guest.

It takes more than just a warm day to detrimentally impact ammunition—SAAMI believes the breakdown begins around 150 degrees Fahrenheit. There are very few environments where stored ammo can reach those extremes, but the trunk of a vehicle is one of them.

“Definitely avoid storing ammunition in a car on a hot sunny day—that’s probably the single most likely scenario that could cause problems for the average shooter,” Patterson explained. “With extremely high temperatures, you get rapid degradation of the ammunition components. The case and bullets are relatively inert in terms of temperature, but the chemical properties of the gunpowder and priming mixture can be affected … Over time, you’ll see a drop in performance, perhaps to the point of going click rather than bang.”

Theoretically, extreme cold could eventually impact ammunition, but it isn’t worth your concern. High heat kills otherwise good ammo, and that’s the primary thing to avoid in regards to temperature. Rapid fluctuations could, however, also prove detrimental over time. So if you’re among the many Americans storing shells in garages, perhaps you should reconsider.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Okay.  My garage doesn't get to 150 degrees, and the "old ammo is bad" is a canard pushed by dealers to get people to buy "fresh" ammo every year.

Where do you think the military stores ammo?  Decades in hot ass bunkers and warehouses.  Shoots fine.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:14:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Also, I know that the OP probably busy, but we are going to need to talk about the Maricopa County ammo tax before much longer.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 12:10:49 AM EDT
[#16]
100 degree nights are fuckin retarded.

First thing that left me saying wtf? When I moved here
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:09:21 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Also, I know that the OP probably busy, but we are going to need to talk about the Maricopa County ammo tax before much longer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:24:49 PM EDT
[#18]
What part of town did you guys move to?
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 1:43:25 PM EDT
[#19]
Oh, I forgot, Change your Air Filters OFTEN! the harder that thing works the more its gonna cost you!
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:01:59 PM EDT
[#20]
I would not move to PHX
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 4:36:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Okay.  My garage doesn't get to 150 degrees, and the "old ammo is bad" is a canard pushed by dealers to get people to buy "fresh" ammo every year.

Where do you think the military stores ammo?  Decades in hot ass bunkers and warehouses.  Shoots fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I have shot quite a bit of ammo that is very old and hasn't been stored well at all, lots of temperature fluctuations and abuse, with no problems. And yeah, the military is not known for storing it's ammo in very nice places. People may say it goes bad, but has anyone here actually experienced quality ammo going bad due to heat, consistently enough to say it's a problem? I'm guessing no. I think it's just another myth that floats around.

Quoted:

Right. About that . . . .

Quoted:
What part of town did you guys move to?

North Phx, around Happy Valley area.

Quoted:
Oh, I forgot, Change your Air Filters OFTEN! the harder that thing works the more its gonna cost you!

Thank you - I will make sure to do that often. It is something I forgot to do a lot up north, gotta make myself a reminder for here.

Quoted:
I would not move to PHX

Thank you for your useful insight.

Link Posted: 5/29/2016 7:54:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I would not move to PHX
View Quote

Life's pretty fuckin' good here without ya.
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:03:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Bambino's on 39 Ave/Happy Valley (in the Safeway complex) is a nice little sports bar/baseball themed. Their 'street' tacos are excellent.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:39:49 AM EDT
[#24]
keep off the moors. Stick to the roads, and the best of luck.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#25]
I forgot to mention checking rubber on your car before summer, All your belts and hoses and tires before the summer heat kills them.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Prescott to PHX is a big change, let us know how it works out.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 5:47:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Bambino's on 39 Ave/Happy Valley (in the Safeway complex) is a nice little sports bar/baseball themed. Their 'street' tacos are excellent.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I am looking for good lunch places, so I will check them out. That is close to the office. Thank you!

Quoted:
I forgot to mention checking rubber on your car before summer, All your belts and hoses and tires before the summer heat kills them.

Copy that. The wife and I just had full tuneups before we moved. I will remember to keep a sharper eye than normal on the rubber parts of the vehicles.

Quoted:
Prescott to PHX is a big change, let us know how it works out.

Definitely. Good thing is that I have been working here a lot over the years so I am used to the temps, lots of people, etc. It's a bigger adjustment for my family, but so far so good. We live in a nice neighborhood and a great part of town, at the edge of town really, so we're making the best of it. The pool helps.

Now that I won't be at the Prescott HTF shoots, I'm thinking we need to have an HTF night shoot out at Cowtown Range soon. We'll wait until the sun goes down, and then rock the place with weaponlights, night vision, etc. Who's interested?
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 7:05:43 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Now that I won't be at the Prescott HTF shoots, I'm thinking we need to have an HTF night shoot out at Cowtown Range soon. We'll wait until the sun goes down, and then rock the place with weaponlights, night vision, etc. Who's interested?
View Quote

Hell ya night time HTF shoot sounds great! Count me in.  

On a Cowtown note, when are the open range days for shooting steel with paying the range fee of course.  Couldn't find the schedule on the site.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 8:12:15 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

On a Cowtown note, when are the open range days for shooting steel with paying the range fee of course.  Couldn't find the schedule on the site.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Open range days are suspended for the time being. Too many other big events and projects to work on. Memberships are coming soon, though, and open range days may come back.
Link Posted: 5/30/2016 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#30]
^^^

Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:20:40 AM EDT
[#31]
Hell ya to cowtown shoot!

The North Phx area I think is among the nicer parts of Phx.

I know you know, but I am very surprised no one said this but drink lots of water! Dehydration sucks.

If ya need an help with anything, don't hesitate, just let me know. I am like 5 miles south of my work.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 11:53:35 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I am interested in a HTF shoot at Cowtown!

Why won't you make it to the Prescott HTF?  You are still closer to Prescott than I am.
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 7:03:35 PM EDT
[#33]
Learn Spanish
Link Posted: 5/31/2016 9:18:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Learn Spanish
View Quote

LOL.  Prescott Valley is a lot more Spangloid ghettotastic than the area he's living in now.

That north edge of metro Phoenix is a great area, and he is actually closer to some of the better outdoors areas in AZ than he was in PV.
Link Posted: 6/1/2016 3:17:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

LOL.  Prescott Valley is a lot more Spangloid ghettotastic than the area he's living in now.

That north edge of metro Phoenix is a great area, and he is actually closer to some of the better outdoors areas in AZ than he was in PV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Learn Spanish

Agreed on both counts. I'm the most Hispanic person in my neighborhood (and I'm far from looking the part).
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 3:45:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Why won't you make it to the Prescott HTF?  You are still closer to Prescott than I am.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Weekends are typically tied up with training or other large events that I am involved in.
Link Posted: 6/2/2016 8:36:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Wow.
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 6:50:19 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I'm sorry.

Either keep nothing sensitive (batteries, fluids, perishable items) in the garage or insulate it and run a  separate AC to keep it at below 90.
Realistically, keep nothing in the truck that isn't indestructible, otherwise the sun and heat is just going to kill it.

Hope you like your new more expensive power bill. Hope you are not in the urban heat sink or if you are, enjoy the over 100 degree nights. (Why I loved living north of AJ, it at least cooled off at night)

I'm Sorry.

View Quote

What is AJ? Apache Junction?
Link Posted: 6/5/2016 10:54:53 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm sorry.

I'm Sorry.

Yes
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 12:06:41 AM EDT
[#40]
You live up near Show Low or Payson? If not, how close do you have to live north of AJ to have cool nights during the summer?
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 1:41:04 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You live up near Show Low or Payson? If not, how close do you have to live north of AJ to have cool nights during the summer?
View Quote

I lived just north of town at the foot of the hills that mark the border of Tonto NF. Cool night is comparison to being inside the great big heat sink of concrete and asphalt most of 'da valley' has become.
Link Posted: 6/6/2016 3:04:12 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

I lived just north of town at the foot of the hills that mark the border of Tonto NF. Cool night is comparison to being inside the great big heat sink of concrete and asphalt most of 'da valley' has become.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

when I lived in AJ, the nights were much cooler than the asphalt loving phx. I miss living in AJ.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I would not move to PHX
View Quote

I've lived in Phx my whole life, I love it here. I wouldn't live anywhere else in the world. I've been to almost every state, traveled through a lot of Europe as well, everywhere I go I miss Phoenix.

edit: after reading the rest of the thread: I don't know any Spanish and I never will learn any, it's not needed.

Link Posted: 6/7/2016 2:33:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 5:38:44 PM EDT
[#45]

Get their foot powder too.  This stuff is awesome.  Miracle Hand aloe vera will lessen the cracked skin on hands. Miracle Feet if you have issues down south.

Check out Rudy's BBQ in Chandler!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top