Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/31/2015 8:06:06 PM EDT
Yeah, yeah , yeah......I know, "no room in AZ for a Cali boy". It's ok, I pay my taxes and vote red.
I'm flying out to Flagstaff next week to interview for a job. I'm 99% certain that I'm taking the job. I'm really excited about moving out to Flagstaff. I love mountain biking, archery, hunting and guns so it looks like I'm gonna love Flagstaff. However, I've never lived in a snowy climate. I'm thinking my 2 wheel drive, 2014 MB C250 might not be the best car to drive in the snow.
How bad do the roads get in the winter? Are they plowed and cleaned well? Am I going to need to get another all wheel drive car or 4x4 truck? I have a 1990 4runner (4 cyl, 5 speed, 4x4) that I was going to sell cause it needs to be put back together. Should I fix it and keep it? Any and all help or advise is greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:18:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Yeah, yeah , yeah......I know, "no room in AZ for a Cali boy". It's ok, I pay my taxes and vote red.
I'm flying out to Flagstaff next week to interview for a job. I'm 99% certain that I'm taking the job. I'm really excited about moving out to Flagstaff. I love mountain biking, archery, hunting and guns so it looks like I'm gonna love Flagstaff. However, I've never lived in a snowy climate. I'm thinking my 2 wheel drive, 2014 MB C250 might not be the best car to drive in the snow.
How bad do the roads get in the winter? Are they plowed and cleaned well? Am I going to need to get another all wheel drive car or 4x4 truck? I have a 1990 4runner (4 cyl, 5 speed, 4x4) that I was going to sell cause it needs to be put back together. Should I fix it and keep it? Any and all help or advise is greatly appreciated.
View Quote

I live there through 4 winters.  The snow was never bad enough to keep me home in my 2wd Nissan pickup.  Well, once.  But it was only a few hours before I could dig my truck out.  The roads are kept pretty clear.  

Caveat:  This was nearly 20 years ago.  Not sure if they still keep them up as well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#2]
I was only up there for the winter of 2013, which I believe was a low snow fall year, but overall it isn't bad.  Lots of people have 2wd vehicles up there and the city does a good job keeping the main roads clear.  My biggest problem were the damn cinders they would cover the road with, damn things were annoying as hell.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#3]
New guy comes in here swinging. Must have lurked in our HTF before to say all that.

ETA: No cali driving fuckery, its not cute and its annoying and dangerous.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 10:26:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
New guy comes in here swinging. Must have lurked in our HTF before to say all that.

ETA: No cali driving fuckery, its not cute and its annoying and dangerous.
View Quote

Haha, yeah I've been quietly doing my AZ research for a while. I'll keep the high speed freeway chases to a minimum.
Also, can the Rizzo ammo tax be subsidized by taking one of his classes??
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:03:32 PM EDT
[#5]
It can blizzard. I've been through that. They basically shut down the interstate for that.

4WD just means you have 4 wheels spinning freely when you slide rather than 2. Modern FWD cars are just fine for snow on streets, maybe make sure your tires are good or get snow specific tires for the season, since they actually have a winter up there. Or get chains for the tires.
Link Posted: 7/31/2015 11:45:52 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually head up there every time it snows, I don't think I've ever had to use 4x4 in town, they do stop i17 traffic from going up unless you have 4x4 or chains on occasion but should not matter in town.  

Welcome to Az,  be sure to grab your personal freedom at the border and please take as long of a shower as you want!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:07:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Sorry bro.  Were full.  You can't enter until someone else leaves,  Also....  California.  Californians all tell you they are conservative right before they try to shut down the AF Base, gun range, pig farm or dirt road near their brand new shithole subdivision.  Try Nevada.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 12:33:00 AM EDT
[#8]

Flagstaff has had an average annual snowfall of 101.7 inches over the last 30 years, which is 354% more than the national average (22.4 inches). 60% of Flagstaff's snow fell during the winter months.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:47:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Snow isn't usually that bad, and they keep the roads pretty clear. Occasionally there is a bad storm that shuts things down for a bit, but it's not a common occurrence.

The only reason I would keep the 4Runner (or get another vehicle more capable of going off-road) would be to go out exploring places or doing anything the C250 could not safely get you to.

Link Posted: 8/1/2015 1:20:37 PM EDT
[#10]
A lot of newbies to AZ have a misguided idea about winter snowfall because of recent dry years.  You could see a lot this year because of El Niño.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 5:21:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Most storms will last for a day or two and the snow pack and ice pack on the roads will last a day or two after. All depends on how much salt they spray and the location in town. Down town areas they keep cleared really well, some of the less traveled roads will not be salted and keep the snow longer.  The last couple years it will snow and not get another storm for a month or more. It will vary year to year. Some are predicting a heavy snow this year due to the El Niño/La Niña effect. Some are even saying it could pull California out of the drought. Only time will tell. I prefer all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive but a lot get away with two/front wheel drive. If you are stuck at a stop light spinning your tires and blocking half the city from moving like the college kids due, expect to be honked at, flipped off and more with California plates!

Can we have a Flagstaff target tax?
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Most storms will last for a day or two and the snow pack and ice pack on the roads will last a day or two after. All depends on how much salt they spray and the location in town. Down town areas they keep cleared really well, some of the less traveled roads will not be salted and keep the snow longer.  The last couple years it will snow and not get another storm for a month or more. It will vary year to year. Some are predicting a heavy snow this year due to the El Niño/La Niña effect. Some are even saying it could pull California out of the drought. Only time will tell. I prefer all wheel drive and 4 wheel drive but a lot get away with two/front wheel drive. If you are stuck at a stop light spinning your tires and blocking half the city from moving like the college kids due, expect to be honked at, flipped off and more with California plates!

View Quote

From what I understand the city doesn't use salt or deicer on the roads, however ADOT does on the state routes and the interstates.  The city just spreads the cinders everywhere to "aid in traction".
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:48:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Target tax!  No one is going to show up with better targets than what you make  So, new comers should have to purchase a target from you.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:49:08 PM EDT
[#14]
^^ He's right.
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#15]
I do not remember the snow being too bad to drive in.  I always had a two wheel car or truck when I lived there.  However, 4 wheel drive would be better.

The cinders work well.  They provide traction and because of their dark color absorb the heat to help melt the snow.  But, the cinders will crack your windshield!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:19:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

From what I understand the city doesn't use salt or deicer on the roads, however ADOT does on the state routes and the interstates.  The city just spreads the cinders everywhere to "aid in traction".
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They definitely use salt or de-icer of some sort in a lot of areas. Very obvious when you are driving on packed ice and then it magically turns to a dirty slush with no other explanation. Not sure where they use it or if only in certain areas. Coming from Lake Mary road I always hit the salted portion before I hit Beulah (sp).

Always wash your car good a few days after a storm. My car always has a nice film of a salt like substance. Numerous cars driving around here with cancer at all four corners, and not very old cars either.

I would never want or expect a target tax, just playing around. Target tax would go to buy targets for the Veterans Action Shooting Match for prizes though!
Link Posted: 8/1/2015 10:24:54 PM EDT
[#17]
During the winter there is too much snow for me, and it's too cold.

But I hate the snow and the cold, that's why 38 years ago I moved from MN and live in Prescott now....

Otherwise Flagstaff is beautiful!

Link Posted: 8/2/2015 11:54:55 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They definitely use salt or de-icer of some sort in a lot of areas. Very obvious when you are driving on packed ice and then it magically turns to a dirty slush with no other explanation. Not sure where they use it or if only in certain areas. Coming from Lake Mary road I always hit the salted portion before I hit Beulah (sp).

Always wash your car good a few days after a storm. My car always has a nice film of a salt like substance. Numerous cars driving around here with cancer at all four corners, and not very old cars either.

I would never want or expect a target tax, just playing around. Target tax would go to buy targets for the Veterans Action Shooting Match for prizes though!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

ADOT uses deicer on Milton, Fort Valley Rd. and the 66s, which are all state routes.  Flagstaff City Council is too liberal to use salt or chemicals on the other roadways and that's where the cinders come in.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 3:07:57 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for all the help and advise guys. My biggest fear was missing work cause I'd be snowed in, but sounds like I should be ok. I think I'll get a set of winter tires for the C-Class. I'm gonna trailer the 4runner out with me too and finish putting it together. I'll use the 4runner for camping, dirt roads, MTB shuttle, and bad weather. Cheaper than buying another 4x4 and if it gets beat up in the snow, I don't care.

Also, I'd be ok with a target or ammo tax on the new guy....of course that means I get to shoot some of your SBRs and suppressors so i can figure out what my first AZ gun buy will be.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 5:53:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
so i can figure out what my first AZ gun buy will be.
View Quote

Don't buy anything in Flag, make the drive to Prescott or Phoenix for reasonable prices.
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
....of course that means I get to shoot some of your SBRs and suppressors so i can figure out what my first AZ gun buy will be.
View Quote
Hope you've got money, .300 black out is expensive
Link Posted: 8/2/2015 8:17:13 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Don't buy anything in Flag, make the drive to Prescott or Phoenix for reasonable prices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
so i can figure out what my first AZ gun buy will be.

This +87,000. We've done a few threads on it in the HTF recently, Flag is not the most economical place to buy guns in AZ.
Link Posted: 8/3/2015 2:35:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It can blizzard. I've been through that. They basically shut down the interstate for that.

4WD just means you have 4 wheels spinning freely when you slide rather than 2. Modern FWD cars are just fine for snow on streets, maybe make sure your tires are good or get snow specific tires for the season, since they actually have a winter up there. Or get chains for the tires.
View Quote

I went up there 2 or 3 years ago, and it was that bad...I had a jeep wrangler and AZDOT truck waived us down and advised not to go any further north on Highway 180...using the tree line, I guess you could tell where the road should be, but snowing so bad, really couldn't see the trees.

Went up for the past weekend, and as soon as we got off of I-17, I thought that song by the Doors (People Are Strange) would have been appropriate.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#24]
Thanks for all the tips and help guys.
I googled a few property management companies, but if anyone on here has a house for rent, IM me.
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I googled a few property management companies, but if anyone on here has a house for rent, IM me.
View Quote

Definitely not a renters market up there.  If you can, you probably want to wait for a month or two after NAU is back in session to start seriously looking.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 1:45:42 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Definitely not a renters market up there.  If you can, you probably want to wait for a month or two after NAU is back in session to start seriously looking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No joke!! I got the job, but I've never had such a hard time finding a place to rent. I haven't even got to fill out an application yet.
Link Posted: 8/6/2015 5:00:57 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

No joke!! I got the job, but I've never had such a hard time finding a place to rent. I haven't even got to fill out an application yet.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yup, when the wife and I moved up there, we had to jump on the first townhouse we saw.  She looked at a few before I got up there and they were off the market within 48 hours.  The terms for the lease were very landlord friendly and the rent was way too much for the quality of the rental.  We looked at buying but there wasn't much in the 250 - 350k range that we wanted to own.  I love the area up there, but I don't miss living there for a second.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:28:11 AM EDT
[#28]
I moved up in September a few years ago. I was offered a job I could not turn down. Had less than a month to find housing and move.  Due to all the shit I have, I had to rent a house. There were only 4 on the market to rent. 3 never returned our calls for about 2 weeks. The only one that responded quickly and showed the property to us we rented immediately. It luckily is a nice place, still live here. Been trying to get the owner to sell it to us, almost had it done but they backed out.

Where will you be working? When will you be moving? When you get to town IM me. We can meet up and talk about the area. If you bow hunt, deer and turkey is coming up quick. If you varmint hunt there are lots of opportunities as well.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:44:14 AM EDT
[#29]
Just be careful where you go when it snows.

Yeah, they keep the roads clear, but when it all comes down, it takes a couple hours to get the plows everywhere.

I pretty much plowed 180 from Flagstaff to almost 64 one year. I was out in front of the plows. The last 5 miles or so I had clear, though I was on the wrong side of the road. I found the plow coming the other way.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 2:19:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

When will you be moving? When you get to town IM me.
View Quote

Also somewhat curious about this. I am planning to be in town on the 22nd and 23rd, and will be going shooting with some friends. If you are in the area and want to go shoot let me know. I don't have much in the way of cool stuff like some other AZHTF members, but they are still fun.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 2:45:43 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks guy. Sorry I didn't have time to send out IMs or meet up while I was in town. I came in Wednesday and left Friday. I'm pretty much trying to move out ASAP. I might end up having to live in a hotel or couch surf until I find a place. Apparently I'm #2 in line for a rental house. The property manager seems to like me, but said he was going in order of people who called him.

I'm still shocked at how hard it is to rent in Flagstaff. As soon as I buy a house for myself, I'm saving up and buying a rental property. High demand + low supply = profit for the land lord.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 3:43:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Californians all tell you they are conservative right before they try to shut down the AF Base, gun range, pig farm or dirt road near their brand new shithole subdivision.  Try Nevada.
View Quote

Try these nuts.  Nuh-uh.  He's your problem now. Nevada is closed.

OP:  I'm sure you're a decent chap, but the liberty & freedom culture in NV would be far too much to bear for an un-acclimated Californian.  Best to stick with AZ, I think.  And to answer your question the snow in Flagstaff is nothing like what we get here in Northern NV.  You'll be fine.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 4:53:09 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

OP:  I'm sure you're a decent chap, but the liberty & freedom culture in NV would be far too much to bear for an un-acclimated Californian.  Best to stick with AZ, I think.  And to answer your question the snow in Flagstaff is nothing like what we get here in Northern NV.  You'll be fine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Californians all tell you they are conservative right before they try to shut down the AF Base, gun range, pig farm or dirt road near their brand new shithole subdivision.  Try Nevada.

Oh? Then explain Harry Reid and all three decades of his fuckery then.

I used to live in Henderson, looks mighty blue up in NV when it used to be red until the Californian crusaders moved into Northern and Southern NV and exported their Californian feel good politics into your state.
Link Posted: 8/16/2015 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I used to live in Henderson, looks mighty blue up in NV when it used to be red until the Californian crusaders moved into Northern and Southern NV and exported their Californian feel good politics into your state.
View Quote

Henderson is not Nevada.  Nothing below 4000' elevation is.  

Link Posted: 8/16/2015 1:14:00 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Explain Harry Reid then, which you chose to ignore.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:13:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You guys see this?! Cowboy is trying to trick me into moving to NV!! Sorry Bud, ain't falling for your reverse psychology. Haha, just messing with you dude.
Thanks for the back up GSL.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:07:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who?  Is he a politician or something?  

Like that Gabby Giffords and her crazyface husband who run a national gun ban group out of AZ?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:17:16 PM EDT
[#38]
I wonder where Nevada ranks compared to Arizona in freedom.  

Freedom

ETA: Oh and how about on gun laws.

Best States for Gun Owners

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 12:23:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Like that Gabby Giffords and her crazyface husband who run a national gun ban group out of AZ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

a), I never said we didn't have our flaws.

b), you came in here acting like your states shit didn't stink at all and I corrected you.

c), what is this, GD all of a sudden?
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 1:37:41 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Sorry bro.  Were full.  You can't enter until someone else leaves,  Also....  California.  Californians all tell you they are conservative right before they try to shut down the AF Base, gun range, pig farm or dirt road near their brand new shithole subdivision.  Try Nevada.
View Quote
Well, I moved to TN last week, so you have a vacancy now.

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 2:42:44 PM EDT
[#41]
I used a 2wd v6 tundra here for 5 years with no problems.  It had ATS tires on it....

it can get as cold as the rental market too

but like everyone has said...a big storm will pass through and usually 6 hours is enough for the plows to catch up

this year might be a heavy storm year though...  in 09 we had three or four storms back to back dump 4-5 feet at my house

here's last year IIRC

by the time you're cursing the cold weather and ready for summer...it's gone...same with the heat!

I'll show ya my west siiide spot if you like!

hit me up!

Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:07:51 PM EDT
[#42]
Thank you Bounce. I will hit you up about that spot once I'm all settled. I'm moving out this week, but still don't have a place locked down yet. I really don't want to leave my new job hanging for very long so I'm probably gonna stay with a friend until I find a place.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 3:24:03 PM EDT
[#43]
we found our first two rentals via Craigslist... 3/2 homes.

there are craigslist scammers though...watchout
Link Posted: 8/18/2015 11:47:45 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

b), you came in here acting like your states shit didn't stink at all and I corrected you.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

A)  True, but I hadn't even gotten to McCain (Senator from ISIS), Jeff Flake, or the illustrious Janet Napolitano yet.  Arizona had an anti-gun Lesbaru-driver as governor, pops.  Then she went to Washington DC and headed up the DHS (what, with YOUR irrelevant border with Mexico?!) and promptly labeled American gun owners "domestic terrorists".  She's even a Californian now.  Harry Reid is bad indeed, but that's like a seven-layer cake made of awful.  

B)  That is incorrect that you corrected me.  We heard you from one hometown forum over telling a Californian to move to Nevada instead.  Your HTF's commentary triggered our Nevada Early Warning system so I came running over here to say "Oh ho ho ho no you don't.".

C) Don't push unexamined Californians over on NV and there shall remain peace between our HTFs.  . Besides, the OP is an Arizonan now.  He's got red AZ dirt all up in the wheel wells of his Japanese import vehicle by now, so it's official.  He's yours.  All you can do now is raise that boy right.

(You know we're just bantering, I hope?).
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:24:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 4:14:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Again, thank you guys for all the advice. I ended up selling of my 4 Runner. I'm keeping the Benz through this winter. I may or may not pick up a set of winter tires. Next year I'll be getting rid of the Benz and buying a new GMC Sierra. I want to simplify my life and have one car that does everything I want. 4X4, 4 door, truck bed, nice interior....everything besides the price sounds great. I should be able to make it through 1 winter with the Benz.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top