Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2015 8:10:48 PM EDT
Will be moving out next month and today I get a nastygram stating that I need to clean carpets and repaint or it will be charged against my deposit.  Neither item was in contract and they have a non refundable cleaning deposit.  I am also expected to repair things that didn't work and were noted originally.

Anyone know any good legal people?

Link Posted: 8/4/2015 4:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
Do you have a cleaning deposit and then a second deposit?  You said "non-refundable cleaning deposit".
Link Posted: 8/4/2015 9:51:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Cleaning and security.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 1:33:56 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Will be moving out next month and today I get a nastygram stating that I need to clean carpets and repaint or it will be charged against my deposit.  Neither item was in contract and they have a non refundable cleaning deposit.  I am also expected to repair things that didn't work and were noted originally.

View Quote

Bradley Abbas if you're in Phx or nearby.  Chances are a letter from a lawyer will solve the problem.  Brad's a good guy.

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll look him up,  thanks.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Sure enough,they are showing no sign of returning my deposit. Got an eail saying they would send me a heck for the wrong amount as soon as funds cleared. Haven't heard from them in over a week.

Tried contacting Abbas, no response Any body else got any ideas?

Link Posted: 9/25/2015 11:25:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Look up az landlord tentant act.  Its online. If u dont get an itemized statement from them w/in 14 days, they cant keep any of your deposit. Hope u took pics of move in and move out.  Should also tell you what is normal wear and tear.
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:12:35 AM EDT
[#7]
I'd recommend checking with your rental insurance company assuming you have one. They covered my ass with their own lawyers when the bottom of my water heater rusted through. they wanted to blame that on me for neglecting to check and notify them.... who checks that!?
Link Posted: 9/28/2015 2:31:29 AM EDT
[#8]
If they don't return or send you an accounting within 14 business days they can be liable for 3 times your deposit.

My attorney I use for evictions for the last 16 years is Williams, Zinman and Parham.  If they cannot help they can point you in the right direction.

Link Posted: 9/29/2015 12:36:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

An answer to this would be welcome.  What would be your interpretation of "non-refundable".  How much money are we talking here?  Have you met with them face to face to discuss it?
Link Posted: 9/30/2015 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Who is the rental company? Currently renting myself and want to make sure I don't run in to this problem when I go to move out next year?
Link Posted: 10/2/2015 8:12:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Finally got a lawyer to call e back. She agreed that I should have a very good case, but told me to fight it in small claims court.

Bottom line is you are at the mercy of your landlord, and the rental company (I see nothing, nothing) defers everything to it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top