Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/30/2015 10:32:16 AM EDT
Neither my wife nor I have been to the canyon.  I know, lived here almost 20 years and never went.  Well, we plan to address that issue with a day trip in the near future.

She has a bad back limiting her activities.  She can walk but horse back or anything jarring is out.  I have new knees making climbing an issue beyond what you would expect from a hilly golf course.  

Anyone with experience visiting, which entrance, what parts, what to see and do, where to eat, etc.  Looking for ideas from people who've been there and done it.

Thanks.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:51:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Having done multiple day trips to the canyon from the valley, flag, and pine/strawberry area....

For you, I suggest the Grand Canyon Village at the South Rim of the Grand Canyon.

You can literally park 20 ft from the edge in some spots.  It is basically a village along the edge of the Grand Canyon.  There are multiple restaurants, a historic hotel, an art gallery, a bar, and views for miles!!  That whole area is designed for tourism and is paved paths with benches everywhere and relatively flat!  It is all extremely accessible.

Yavapai point and Mather point are further away than the map shows so drive to those.  The Desert View watchtower is also about 20 mi east and worth the look.  They have a bus service that also take you to the different viewpoints along the rim edge!

I also suggest taking the scenic route through flagstaff on the 180.

Sunsets are spectacular usually.  And we eat at the Bright Angel lodge more often than not, the food is decent. There is the Arizona Room, and El Tovar Dining room(finer dining)

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#2]
As a person with several physical health problems and having just gone to North Rim, it's a place I highly recommend. Parking is within feet of gorgeous views and a restaurant that has an open patio on the cliff. Cabins are available but it's not much for privacy. Regardless, it's a trip worth making.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:25:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  This is exactly the information I'm looking for.  I don't think we'll stay for a sunset as we are making a day trip and will likely leave home at 7 AM.  Get there around 11 and sight see for 3-4 hours and have lunch then back home.  Got to take care of the cats after all.

But I really need to see it living here.  It's like living in San Jose and never going over the Golden Gate bridge.  
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 2:46:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks.  This is exactly the information I'm looking for.  I don't think we'll stay for a sunset as we are making a day trip and will likely leave home at 7 AM.  Get there around 11 and sight see for 3-4 hours and have lunch then back home.  Got to take care of the cats after all.

But I really need to see it living here.  It's like living in San Jose and never going over the Golden Gate bridge.  
View Quote

Cats? Like the kitty in your display pic right?
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 4:28:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, you need to go. But you'll only be there for an hour or so before you realize you need to spend at least a couple of days there.*

When you get home, you can start thinking about pet sitters.

* I know this because I'm in exactly the same boat. I was there years ago, with an ailing Dad (former Boy Scout, loved to hike, and was pissed that his body wouldn't let him any more) who I couldn't just leave on the rim.
Now he's gone, and I want to get back there.
Link Posted: 6/30/2015 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#6]
My kitty are a bit smaller than the picture.  And tamer.  

I almost took my dad up there 3 years back.  But eventually decided since he was at that point in a wheelchair and doing dialysis 3 times a day it wasn't something he wanted to do.  He never say the canyon either.

Link Posted: 6/30/2015 11:39:30 PM EDT
[#7]
The issue with a day trip is when you get there around 11 the canyon looks washed out from the bright sun. The best times are morning and evening.
Enjoy either way.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top