Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/22/2015 2:34:01 PM EDT
I may end up regretting this, but last year I made the suggestion that we drive (from Atlanta) to see the Grand Canyon with the kids.  I've only seen it flying over to/from Vegas and CA.

Our plan, in a nutshell, is to spend about 3-5 days driving out - seeing things along the way, depending on route, and camping out of the truck (roof top tent) - and then spend some time at & around the south rim.  We'll also camp somewhere thereabouts.  We'll spend another 3-5 days driving back along a different route, possibly swinging through Austin to visit arfcom friends.

So, I'm looking for any and all advice on our time spent around the GCNP, as well as other things we should do or see in the area.  If you'd like to offer suggestions for the trip out/back, those are welcome as well.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 3:56:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Grand Canyon Railway is fun, especially if any of your kids are into trains. You'll drive right by the Meteor Crater, which is worth visiting. If you drive south on the 17 for a ways you can see Montezuma's Castle, which is a very well preserved cliff dwelling. Walnut Canyon NM is on your route as well, it has some slightly less well preserved cliff dwellings that you can actually walk in and out of. Sunset Crater and Wupatki are okay, I wouldn't go out of my way for them but if you're looking to kill a day they're worthwhile. If you drive north just over the border with Utah you can see Monument Valley, which is awesome. Those come to mind right off the top of my head, there may be some other's I'm not thinking of.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 5:17:52 PM EDT
[#2]
There is this little jem in bottom of the Canyon.
1 day hike in, 1 day hike out.. maybe next time without the kids.

Havasupai Falls

Link Posted: 1/22/2015 6:55:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I would not recommend Havasupai. It is an 11 mile hike one way, and you need permits well in advance.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 7:24:01 PM EDT
[#4]
The north rim of the canyon is prettier and way less crowded than the south rim. After visiting the north rim I will never go back to the south rim.
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 8:45:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Keep in mind that it might still be freezing and snowy up there depending on how early your spring break is
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:16:10 PM EDT
[#6]
The Petrifide Forest is outside flagstaff, Sedona is a short drive from South rim also.
You could drive rt 66 an spend the night in seligam.
Your last name isn't Griswall is it
Link Posted: 1/22/2015 9:52:59 PM EDT
[#7]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The Petrifide Forest is outside flagstaff, Sedona is a short drive from South rim also.

View Quote
Do they still have the tours of the old whore houses in Seligman?

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Grand Canyon Railway is fun, especially if any of your kids are into trains. You'll drive right by the Meteor Crater, which is worth visiting. If you drive south on the 17 for a ways you can see Montezuma's Castle, which is a very well preserved cliff dwelling. Walnut Canyon NM is on your route as well, it has some slightly less well preserved cliff dwellings that you can actually walk in and out of. Sunset Crater and Wupatki are okay, I wouldn't go out of my way for them but if you're looking to kill a day they're worthwhile. If you drive north just over the border with Utah you can see Monument Valley, which is awesome. Those come to mind right off the top of my head, there may be some other's I'm not thinking of.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Kids are 6 and 8 (girl and boy), so I will look into these, thanks!

Quoted:
The north rim of the canyon is prettier and way less crowded than the south rim. After visiting the north rim I will never go back to the south rim.

Quoted:
Keep in mind that it might still be freezing and snowy up there depending on how early your spring break is

Really?  I always thought the south rim was the one to visit.  Any idea how much further it is to head to the north rim?

Our spring break is the second week of April, I think, so we're going that week plus one week before or one week after.  Not sure which yet.

Quoted:

No, definitely not the Griswalds.  Instead of a wood panel station wagon, this is our ride.

Link Posted: 1/23/2015 9:03:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Bearizona was pretty cool. You stay in your vehicle and drive right next to big ass bears, wolves, and all other kinds of animals.

Have dinner in williams at the little coke diner. Staying in williams is the best route if you end up not camping one of the nights.

The drive through Sedona and oak creek. The Tlaquepaque resort in sedona is a good place to get lunch.
Link Posted: 1/23/2015 10:29:04 PM EDT
[#10]
The North Rim is higher in elevation and so it stays colder longer up there. Mid April is still iffy on the weather at those elevations. The South Rim is more "touristy" but still an awesome sight.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 3:33:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The North Rim is higher in elevation and so it stays colder longer up there. Mid April is still iffy on the weather at those elevations. The South Rim is more "touristy" but still an awesome sight.
View Quote

When we camped for Overland Expo East last fall, it was 30 degrees at night and we had no issues.

If its a better choice, we can probably take our chances with weather.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#12]
The North Rim is closed in the winter so you probably shouldn't go there.  You might be able to take some back roads to some of the lookout points but the  main area is closed.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 10:53:09 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
The North Rim is closed in the winter so you probably shouldn't go there.  You might be able to take some back roads to some of the lookout points but the  main area is closed.
View Quote

+1.  The last time I was there it was closed from October 15- May 15. Just make sure you don't drive all the way around for nothing.
Link Posted: 1/24/2015 11:30:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

When we camped for Overland Expo East last fall, it was 30 degrees at night and we had no issues.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The south rim is just as beautiful as the north rim just a lot more people with better developed roads/trails. If you were camping for several days then the north rim may be a better choice but not in April unless you like winter camping.

Link Posted: 1/24/2015 12:10:33 PM EDT
[#15]
OP, where did you get those bars for your Tacoma? Good looking ride!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 4:20:52 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are a number of folks on Tacomaworld that make bed racks for tents, fabric covers, etc.  This one is by Eddy @ SOS Concepts.  He custom cut it to fit in my tent into my garage while getting as much bed space as possible.  It clears my garage by about 1" or so.  

This is it with the tent deployed.  The kids sleep in the lower room while the wife and I are up top.  (ignore the mess, we were still setting up)

Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:04:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Very cool, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 12:10:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

There are a number of folks on Tacomaworld that make bed racks for tents, fabric covers, etc.  This one is by Eddy @ SOS Concepts.  He custom cut it to fit in my tent into my garage while getting as much bed space as possible.  It clears my garage by about 1" or so.  

This is it with the tent deployed.  The kids sleep in the lower room while the wife and I are up top.  (ignore the mess, we were still setting up)

http://i762.photobucket.com/albums/xx269/911fan/Tacoma/IMG_2585.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is awesome!!!
Link Posted: 1/25/2015 7:22:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap DJ that is a sweet freaking setup.  Very very cool. Have fun when your here.  There is some decent camping on the east side of flagstaff, near some lava flows, with a great hike up to a fire lookout.  We saw a mountain lion when we were hiking up the dirt road.  Wife made us turn around.  It might be on the reservation.  

Also a drive down into Sedona from Flagstaff through Oak Creek Canyon is really nice. It is beutiful, with the red rock formations, good for photography.  There is camping in Oak Creek as well.

Between Williams, Arizona and the south rim canyon entrance is Flintstone bedrock city  My kid really enjoyed it, more than the grand canyon actually.

Sounds like a good trip.  Post updates.
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 1:43:09 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks guys - I will definitely document with pictures.

For anyone who has traveled east of Arizona, we're likely to come in along some variation of I-40 and head back along some variation of I-20 (possibly 60/380 to head down towards Austin).  I'm also looking for places to see, visit or stay at along the route.

Google maps suggests a 26 hour drive from my town to the GCNP, and we may only get 8 hours (or less ) of driving in a day with the kids.  We'll have to set up the tent every night and break it down every morning, so I'm not planning to rush and expect to include some sightseeing along the way.  

On the other hand, if the kids doze off and we don't have a need to stop to see something specific, I'm okay with driving deep into the night and just getting a room for 6 hours or so of shuteye to help close the distance.  When we drove to Austin for the Formula 1 USGP we were doing 12+ hour days (just me and the wife in the 911 made for a fun road trip).
Link Posted: 1/26/2015 11:51:53 AM EDT
[#21]
If you want to see Sedona I would do it on a weekday. I would drive in via Schnebly Hill Rd from the east and then out through Oak Creek Canyon. I would have lunch at the Coffee Pot, see the Chapel of the Holy Cross, and avoid as much of the rest of the town as you can. Nothing but unwashed hippies, con artists, and overpriced tourist traps. Here's a map if you're interested: https://goo.gl/maps/6WDFJ

If you're going out via I-20 you have to stop by Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico. Stunning. (At least they were when I saw them forty years ago.)

Oh, and the North Rim is nothing but locked gates until May 15th. Don't bother. http://www.nps.gov/grca/planyourvisit/directions_n_rim.htm
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 9:32:54 AM EDT
[#22]
Hey guys, wanted to update this thread.  We have decided to postpone the trip until after school is out.  So instead of going mid-April, we'll be going late May/early June.

I think we're still planning to stay in and around the south rim, but wondering if we should make the extra trek to visit the north rim as well / instead.

Also, still looking for more ideas of things to see, visit or do - but they have to be kid-friendly and kid-interesting.  
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:55:07 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Hey guys, wanted to update this thread.  We have decided to postpone the trip until after school is out.  So instead of going mid-April, we'll be going late May/early June.

I think we're still planning to stay in and around the south rim, but wondering if we should make the extra trek to visit the north rim as well / instead.

Also, still looking for more ideas of things to see, visit or do - but they have to be kid-friendly and kid-interesting.  
View Quote

If you want a real treat take the family to a slot canyon. The best in my opinion is the Wire Pass trail
Wiki link

It is on the AZ/Utah border with a free campground a mile away.
If you decide to go to the North Rim of the GC you will pass right by the turnoff road (House Rock Valley Road) so it will fit nicely to a north rim visit. The route that takes you from the south rim to the north rim is absolutely spectacular. You'll see some of the best red rock formation in the USA (Vermillion cliffs) along with the best of north AZ high country.
I have done this drive several times and still look forward to going again.
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 11:09:16 AM EDT
[#24]
Meteor crater
Petrified forest
Monument valley
Sunset crater
Canyon De chelly
Vermillion cliffs with the wave hike
A slot canyon, antelope being the most well known.

Some require permits above so do your homework.

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 12:34:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Some good info above.

I also much prefer the north rim, but be aware "winter" can last until May there.  Haven't been to the south rim since I was a kid.  It's an extra 150 miles from Flagstaff, but far more interesting drive, far less crowded, and more interesting sites in range from there.  The National Forest Service camp sites are clean and nice up there, in my opinion (e.g. Demotte Campground - near rim, less expensive than in the park proper).
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 2:11:37 PM EDT
[#26]
This is the Grand Canyon in 6 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5MPb7z0LZ4

Canyonlands is way better along with the other Utah Parks.

http://www.visitutah.com/plan-your-trip/recommended-itineraries/mighty5/best-week-of-your-life
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:15:28 PM EDT
[#27]
The North Rim of the park has closed for the winter.

Lodging and Food Service is Available May 15 through October 15

Link Posted: 3/26/2015 4:19:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Link Posted: 3/26/2015 10:59:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Overland Expo West in Flagstaff May 2015
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 7:26:50 AM EDT
[#30]
If you do go to the North Rim I would take a drive out to Jump up point and camp. You can drive right to the edge of the canyon and camp if you want.
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:38:50 AM EDT
[#31]
If your going to be east of flagstaff on I-40, two guns and the train bridge over canyon Diablo, just to the northbound are both interesting.  There is also a pretty large, long cave at two guns.

http://www.ghosttowns.com/states/az/azcoconino.html

http://www.legendsofamerica.com/az-canyondiablo.html
Link Posted: 3/27/2015 9:12:42 PM EDT
[#32]
Post a map of your planned route. There are so many things to see and do out here and "out of the way" places it's hard to tell someone what to see except for the 'ol standbys like GC etc.
Link Posted: 3/28/2015 12:37:31 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm sorry I missed this until now.

Someone already posted offroad expo. Good call.

With your Tacoma, you may want to divert north a bit, and hit a few spots in Southern Utah. Moab (White Rim Trail in Canyonlands if you can get a permit*) being obvious, but The Valley of the Gods and Monument Valley aren't too far out of the way, especially if you're going to the North Rim. Page is also kinda that way, and the canyons there are very cool.

Most of the Az stuff has really been hit, but you're well equipped for most of the scenic, less technical trails in and around Moab, and you should really consider it.

*-You have to get a permit, and reserve campsites, in advance. 90 days, IIRC. Each one is good for 3 vehicles, so if you get one, you should find someone else to drive up an join you. Er... us.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 4:23:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Don't believe the Ice cave was mentioned. There was a huge icicle near the end of it. Not too strenuous, but bring flashlights and backup flashlights. It's near Flagstaff.

Ice cave link

Also +1 for Bearizona. I had almost had more fun than the kids there.
Link Posted: 3/29/2015 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
View Quote

This! Kaibab is awesome, and you have all sorts of back country access to the North Rim. And, Bright Angel is awesome. Enjoy it before they make it a national monument (rumored to be in the works) and then there will be no back country camping.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:34:01 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
If you want a real treat take the family to a slot canyon. The best in my opinion is the Wire Pass trail
Wiki link
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm273/richardv308/IMG_1803.jpghttp://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm273/richardv308/IMG_20110810_161640.jpg
If you decide to go to the North Rim of the GC you will pass right by the turnoff road (House Rock Valley Road) so it will fit nicely to a north rim visit. The route that takes you from the south rim to the north rim is absolutely spectacular. You'll see some of the best red rock formation in the USA (Vermillion cliffs) along with the best of north AZ high country.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Wiki link
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm273/richardv308/IMG_1803.jpghttp://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm273/richardv308/IMG_20110810_161640.jpg

Wow, my wife would truly love that.  Thanks for the tip!

Quoted:
Meteor crater
Petrified forest
Monument valley
Sunset crater
Canyon De chelly
Vermillion cliffs with the wave hike
A slot canyon, antelope being the most well known.

Some require permits above so do your homework.

i will, thanks!

Quoted:
I also much prefer the north rim, but be aware "winter" can last until May there.  Haven't been to the south rim since I was a kid.  It's an extra 150 miles from Flagstaff, but far more interesting drive, far less crowded, and more interesting sites in range from there.  The National Forest Service camp sites are clean and nice up there, in my opinion (e.g. Demotte Campground - near rim, less expensive than in the park proper).

The kids get out before Memorial day this year, so I expect we'd arrive sometime around 5/28.  Plans will have to be flexible due to weather & other unexpected issues, but I'm hoping to map out a rough itinerary with a lot of "options" we can choose from.

Quoted:
This is the Grand Canyon in 6 seconds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5MPb7z0LZ4

Canyonlands is way better along with the other Utah Parks.

http://www.visitutah.com/plan-your-trip/recommended-itineraries/mighty5/best-week-of-your-life

lol.  I hope its not that "thanks, what next?" for the kids.  I'm sure my wife will fill a memory card with thousands of slightly different pictures of the same thing.  

Hah!  Wish we could make that, but it's too soon for us to be there.  WE did attend Expo East last fall though.  The picture in the OP is from that trip, in fact.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 9:44:46 AM EDT
[#37]
So many good suggestions, I'm writing them all down even if I don't respond to all.
Quoted:
Post a map of your planned route. There are so many things to see and do out here and "out of the way" places it's hard to tell someone what to see except for the 'ol standbys like GC etc.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I need to rebuild my original route in google maps (lost it in a browser crash).  I'll post it when I do.

Quoted:
With your Tacoma, you may want to divert north a bit, and hit a few spots in Southern Utah. Moab (White Rim Trail in Canyonlands if you can get a permit*) being obvious, but The Valley of the Gods and Monument Valley aren't too far out of the way, especially if you're going to the North Rim. Page is also kinda that way, and the canyons there are very cool.

Most of the Az stuff has really been hit, but you're well equipped for most of the scenic, less technical trails in and around Moab, and you should really consider it.

*-You have to get a permit, and reserve campsites, in advance. 90 days, IIRC. Each one is good for 3 vehicles, so if you get one, you should find someone else to drive up an join you. Er... us.

We've already missed any 90 day windows, so we'll have to stick to things that don't require reservations.  Would still love to have you join us for a camp out, though!

Quoted:
Don't believe the Ice cave was mentioned. There was a huge icicle near the end of it. Not too strenuous, but bring flashlights and backup flashlights. It's near Flagstaff.

Ice cave link

More great stuff!  The challenge is going to be picking what to see, and what to skip.

We considered flying out and saving the 6-8 days of driving, but the cost doubles or triples and having to have a room somewhere each night greatly restricts the ability to change on the fly.
Link Posted: 3/30/2015 10:42:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So many good suggestions, I'm writing them all down even if I don't respond to all.

I need to rebuild my original route in google maps (lost it in a browser crash).  I'll post it when I do.

We've already missed any 90 day windows, so we'll have to stick to things that don't require reservations.  Would still love to have you join us for a camp out, though!

More great stuff!  The challenge is going to be picking what to see, and what to skip.

We considered flying out and saving the 6-8 days of driving, but the cost doubles or triples and having to have a room somewhere each night greatly restricts the ability to change on the fly.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ice cave link

Check the availability. 90 days is MAX. You can usually find something less than that, if you're flexible.

But you bring your Avatar, I'm there in mine.
Link Posted: 3/31/2015 6:00:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Bring a gun or so - remember ARIZONA is the GUNSHINE state !
Link Posted: 4/4/2015 5:01:27 PM EDT
[#40]

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:17:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry, I'm a horrible slacker (did I mention changing jobs at work?) and haven't posted up the route.  Here's a picture of it right now.

Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:28:51 PM EDT
[#42]
2 quick questions:

1) If you were going to do a jeep tour of the east rim or south rim, which would you choose and why?
2) What are the top 3 concealed carry tips for AZ?  I scanned handgunlaw.us for all the states we're passing through to get a summary, and here's what I picked out for AZ (let me know if I missed anything important):
* Open Carry - Yes
* Must inform - No
* Sign=Force of Law - Yes
* Park carry - Yes

We both have our GWL, so pertmitless carry is not really a factor.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 3:39:03 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
2 quick questions:

1) If you were going to do a jeep tour of the east rim or south rim, which would you choose and why?
I believe you meant North vs South rim. The south rim has very limited "Jeep" roads, mostly paved. The North rim has an enormous amount of back country accessible by dirt roads.
2) What are the top 3 concealed carry tips for AZ?  I scanned handgunlaw.us for all the states we're passing through to get a summary, and here's what I picked out for AZ (let me know if I missed anything important):
* Open Carry - Yes
* Must inform - No
Not all signs on private businesses , just the ones at places selling booze for consumption.
* Park carry - Yes

View Quote

Be very aware of where the Indian reservations are located on your trip. For the most part they are not very "gun friendly" to the none natives. You are OK on the major roads crossing reservation lands, just don't carry outside your vehicle. That includes gas stations along the way on reservation land.
Link Posted: 5/18/2015 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Be very aware of where the Indian reservations are located on your trip. For the most part they are not very "gun friendly" to the none natives. You are OK on the major roads crossing reservation lands, just don't carry outside your vehicle. That includes gas stations along the way on reservation land.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 quick questions:

I believe you meant North vs South rim. The south rim has very limited "Jeep" roads, mostly paved. The North rim has an enormous amount of back country accessible by dirt roads.
* Open Carry - Yes
* Must inform - No
Not all signs on private businesses , just the ones at places selling booze for consumption.
* Park carry - Yes

As a general rule, do not leave the pavement when on the reservation, even if pulled over.

The Injuns have gotten better about this, especially the ones that have casinos, but you need to remain in the Jurisdiction of the state, which means on the pavement.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 7:17:07 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

As a general rule, do not leave the pavement when on the reservation, even if pulled over.

The Injuns have gotten better about this, especially the ones that have casinos, but you need to remain in the Jurisdiction of the state, which means on the pavement.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
2 quick questions:

* Open Carry - Yes
* Must inform - No
* Park carry - Yes

Good tip, thanks.  As I mentioned in another HTF, we're driving a 4x4 loaded full of stuff and a roof top tent over the bed - we generally don't have a problem with speeding.  I will check, however, if any of our sightseeing involves Indian land vs. private/.gov.

ETA - forgot to respond to the East/South Rim question.  I was referring to the guided Pink Jeep tours.  Leaving from the South Rim Visitor Center, they have one tour of the East Rim and another Tour of the South Rim.  The east is significantly more expensive (at least $100 more for 2 adults/2 kids).  Trying to figure out if its worth it, as Mrs. DJ chose it as first pick.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 11:13:29 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

ETA - forgot to respond to the East/South Rim question.  I was referring to the guided Pink Jeep tours.  Leaving from the South Rim Visitor Center, they have one tour of the East Rim and another Tour of the South Rim.  The east is significantly more expensive (at least $100 more for 2 adults/2 kids).  Trying to figure out if its worth it, as Mrs. DJ chose it as first pick.
View Quote

Looking at your route, why are you taking a tour?

They aren't taking you off pavement. They can't. I read through the tour description, they're literally just driving you through the park.

I understand why people who came up on the railway, or are on a bus tour, might want to do this. But they're literally just driving you along the South Rim. (Their 'east rim' is just the south rim, farther east)

They're just driving you down 64 and stopping at the overlooks. That's the way you look to be driving anyway.

Come in (one 180) from Tusayan, stop at the Grand Canyon village, and then drive east on 64. This looks to be your route anyway (hard to zoom in that far, but it looks like you were planning on 64 to 89...). Don't pay anyone for this.
Link Posted: 5/19/2015 1:19:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

They aren't taking you off pavement. They can't. I read through the tour description, they're literally just driving you through the park.

I understand why people who came up on the railway, or are on a bus tour, might want to do this. But they're literally just driving you along the South Rim. (Their 'east rim' is just the south rim, farther east)

They're just driving you down 64 and stopping at the overlooks. That's the way you look to be driving anyway.

Come in (one 180) from Tusayan, stop at the Grand Canyon village, and then drive east on 64. This looks to be your route anyway (hard to zoom in that far, but it looks like you were planning on 64 to 89...). Don't pay anyone for this.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I guess the tour is not so much for the locations they stop at as the information they provide.  We've done a number of guided tours around the world (catacombs in Edinburgh, outback west of Sydney, etc.) and have enjoyed them all, getting so much more from what we saw than if we'd done it on our own.  It also prevents us from having to pack up the campsite in order to go see the park (there's a shuttle from outside the campground to the Natl Park Visitor Center).

But it sounds like you're saying we could/should just drive it and see it ourselves.  Could we pick up a guide or info at the visitor center that would help us learn more about what we're seeing?  We want to make this both entertaining and educational for the kids.

ETA - leaving the campground, our plans were to head to Tuba City (wife wants to see the dinosaur tracks) and then on to Durango.  That's about 5.75 hours of driving, plus the stop in Tuba, so we couldn't combine that with seeing the GC.  We'd have to break camp, drive through GCNP and then return and set up camp again unless we found another place to camp - maybe near the North Rim.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#48]
If you plan on coming back to the campground, I guess I get it. But you're pretty much driving to Tuba City anyway if you are coming back from the end of the canyon. (There's something there? Really? I feel like thou shalt be disappointed in Tuba City...)

I don't know what 'more' a tour guide will tell you than you'd read in the book.

Maybe someone else has tried to camp up in that vicinity and will have a suggestion. I have not.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
If you plan on coming back to the campground, I guess I get it. But you're pretty much driving to Tuba City anyway if you are coming back from the end of the canyon. (There's something there? Really? I feel like thou shalt be disappointed in Tuba City...)

I don't know what 'more' a tour guide will tell you than you'd read in the book.

Maybe someone else has tried to camp up in that vicinity and will have a suggestion. I have not.
View Quote

Actually, we took your advice and we're going to drive ourselves along the south rim and finish the day in Tuba City.  I'm sure there is nothing there, but my wife is determined to go HERE so we're just going to get a hotel room in Tuba City for the night and head to Durango after checking out the tracks.  That will give us some time to stop by the four corners monument for tourist pics.
Link Posted: 5/21/2015 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#50]
If you decide to venture a bit further south near Show Low, I have some property you're more than welcome to camp on. BTW, RT 60 is a more scenic drive than RT 40 across New Mexico. On RT 60 you will see the VLA where "Contact" an other movies were filmed.
ETA -- Tuba City....meh.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top