Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2014 12:48:52 PM EDT
Simple - Who does everyone use here?  How are your firearms covered?  Any experience with Farm Bureau?
Farm Bureau sounds pretty good right now as they said they will cover anything firearm - don't care what kind, accessories also.  

Thanks for the advice!  I haven't been on much lately with work, coaching, buying a house, and a baby!

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 1:23:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm also looking to switch to a new company, so I'm here for the answers.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 2:28:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I have state farm.  I almost insured my guns by my "issue" is they want the make/model/serial # of each gun. I think they have a general coverage of $2500 or $4000.  I asked for $20k in coverage and the price was so astronomical I just laughed. Plus  My tin foil hat may be on alittle tight but I just didnt like that idea of giving up all the info on my guns.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:09:07 PM EDT
[#3]
So what I am finding is insurance companies will cover maybe $4k of this stuff but will not cover handguns and assault style weapons (yes, yes, I know about using the term assault """"" but that is what they call them).  Well, that pretty much doesn't cover half of what many of us own.

FB wants some sort of proof - I need to clarify if actual sn's or if pictures will do.  The rep said pictures, receipts, sn's - anything.  Did not state they had to have sn's just some sort of proof.  It didn't matter what it was but they would cover it.

First American will not cover handguns and assault style weapons and our broker was looking into separate coverage for the weapons but it sounds like they want sn's.  

I haven't looked into the NRA endorsed firearm coverage but they state not needing sn's.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I spent money on a safe with a good fire rating.  If they survive then great . If not I live frugally so I can have my mortgage paid off soon.  If the shit burns down Ill buy a similar house and just mortgage about 20k of it so I can keep 20k of the insurance money to start a new collection.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 5:29:51 PM EDT
[#5]
I have to insure my homer too. That guy is always getting himself into trouble.

Link Posted: 10/25/2014 6:59:50 PM EDT
[#6]
I use State Farm, but have a separate insurance policy with another company for gear I don't want to itemize.
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use State Farm, but have a separate insurance policy with another company for gear I don't want to itemize.
View Quote

who do you use for the non-itemized stuff?
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:11:22 PM EDT
[#8]
State Farm with a rider policy for all my gear.

Jay
Link Posted: 10/25/2014 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I just use State Farm with an additional policy.  They did not make me itemize anything just give a coverage value.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I use Farmers with a rider to cover my firearms. No s/n required. Just so happens that my Insurance agent also owns the local gun shop. The two businesses are right next door to each other.
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 2:27:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I use Farmers with a rider to cover my firearms. No s/n required. Just so happens that my Insurance agent also owns the local gun shop. The two businesses are right next door to each other.
View Quote

I tried this (with Farmers) but they would only cover up to a certain amount (less than what I have invested in my "collection") -- do you mind me asking how much your policy rider is for?
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#12]
I think it is for $20K over the $5k that the policy alone covers
Link Posted: 10/26/2014 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I've used State Farm for many decades and have had good experiences (even when making claims) but I use a separate company for guns instead of an additional  State Farm rider. The NRA offers pretty reasonable firearms insurance without having to document everything with them in order to get it. I would still video or photograph everything of unusual value like guns, jewelry, etc regardless of who I insure with..
Link Posted: 10/27/2014 9:51:02 AM EDT
[#14]
USAA...

And I don't recall the details...
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 3:46:34 AM EDT
[#15]
My Allstate policy covers up to $3000 for all firearms and firearm related accessories (scopes, bipods, mags, ammo, holsters, etc), that's it!  If I want a rider policy, I have to provide firearm info, SN's, pictures with descriptions and get everything appraised.  Then they will cover for appraised values.  

I roughly crunched the numbers, it saves more money in the long run to:  Purchase a good gun safe, become a lifetime member of the NRA and purchase the additional NRA firearm insurance coverage (ArmsCare).  Basic coverage as a member is $2500, for additional coverage its roughly $10/yr for every $1000.  vs. Allstate was going to charge $2800/yr to cover everything I wanted.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 10:37:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I spent money on a safe with a good fire rating.  If they survive then great . If not I live frugally so I can have my mortgage paid off soon.  If the shit burns down Ill buy a similar house and just mortgage about 20k of it so I can keep 20k of the insurance money to start a new collection.
View Quote

I came here to say this.  If you can open your safe with a butter knife and a rock, buy a better safe.  Theft was my concern, not fire.  

I use State Farm and I also have the NRA insurance they provide.  Many places want an appraisal to provide a rider on the policy and they aren't cheap.  They also tend to cover more than just theft, such as mysterious disappearance, kabooms at the range, etc, which raises the cost.  Some want photos and serial numbers.  

It is not necessarily the agency you pick that makes sets the requirements, it is the underwriter.  

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:27:44 PM EDT
[#17]
I recommend American Family Insurance, and Manny DeMiguel in Mesa for the agent.  Great company and a great guy to deal with.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 7:31:35 PM EDT
[#18]
I have Farmers which while it does cover firearms, doesn't cover as many as I have so I also have a firearms rider.
While Farmers has been good to me over many many years, I'm thinking that there might be something better out there - I just haven't looked.
Link Posted: 10/30/2014 12:31:08 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I have state farm.  I almost insured my guns by my "issue" is they want the make/model/serial # of each gun. I think they have a general coverage of $2500 or $4000.  I asked for $20k in coverage and the price was so astronomical I just laughed. Plus  My tin foil hat may be on alittle tight but I just didnt like that idea of giving up all the info on my guns.
View Quote

I had to do that for USAA, i have a $100k renters rider of my guns and they want me to update it either every 6 months if i have acquired more than $X amount of guns in that time or just once a year.  They also wanted info in my safe and preferred pictures of all guns and gun parts.  If you have any high end scopes/lasers/spotting scopes/extra stocks/reloading gear list it all on the rider.  They said if they had all the info they would not even fight the claim on value, provided it did have other reason to fight it.

From what i recall when i did my shopping it was more about the size of the rider that determined what info they wanted.  I think it as ~$25k that they all started wanting more info.

Link Posted: 11/2/2014 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the info from all.  Haven't gotten this all sorted out yet but I have a good sturdy heavy safe that I keep all the important stuff in.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top