Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2014 1:46:58 AM EDT
So My dog keeps getting ticks from my back yard. Granted, my back yard is horribly overgrown with grass... and I need to find someway or someone to either remove the grass or at least trim it down. Problem is,... a lot of the grass is in hard to reach areas, and it's going to be tough to trim it in those areas.

Anyways... what do I do about the tick infestation on my property? I've used advantix on my dog as recently as Thursday night.... I just found an engorged and very much still alive tick on my dog. Legs were moving about and everything.

Aside from erradicating all the weeds and grass in my back yard... What the fuck do I do?

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 1:52:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Get yourself a couple of chickens and let them roam your yard, your tick problem will go away...  Get a weed eater and get that hard to reach tall grass down..   If chickens are a no go start spreading insect ant tick etc granules.   You can also have a professional service done.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 2:07:18 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a bad tick problem a few months ago in my back yard .  All of a sudden they were all over mydogs.    I got some of thetickyard spray. Each bottle was enough to do theyard twice.  I used a full bottle then hit it again with another fullbottle two days later.  Killed em all havent seen one since.    The dog tick shampoo will kill and hiding on your dogs.  Just make sure to get it under their ears if your dogs have floppy ears ticks will hide there.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:12:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get yourself a couple of chickens and let them roam your yard, your tick problem will go away...  Get a weed eater and get that hard to reach tall grass down..   If chickens are a no go start spreading insect ant tick etc granules.   You can also have a professional service done.
View Quote

+1  This plus the frontline treatment pretty much eradicated the ticks.  The chickens, even without a rooster, are a nuisance with their poop.  But the ticks will be gone in two to three weeks.  And you get fresh eggs.  Do an Internet search on urban chickens.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 4:31:51 PM EDT
[#4]
what do you do?  

How about taking care of your property so that it isn't a haven for pests??
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:39:46 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

what do you do?  
View Quote
As I said earlier, I don't have the equipment necessary to be able reach all of the grass in my back yard. There are areas I can't really use a lawn mower... and using a weed wacker would kick up too many rocks.
I used to live in states where we just let grass grow and mowed that shit... No fucking rock yards, where grass and weeds *STILL* grow.
Rock yards, in my opinion, are actually trickier to keep looking decent. Even if you do nothing about weeds... a lawn can be kept looking presentable simply by mowing it, grass, weeds and all.... My old house in Casper was relatively easy to keep the grass in check. For one, all the ground was level, no rocks what so ever.... But as soon as weeds grow in a rock yard, it is IMMEDIATELY noticeable. There is no way rock yards are actually less maintenance to keep looking good.
The presence of the rocks actually makes it more difficult to manage plants material. Can't use a mower, and using a trimmer is... tricky, if you don't want cracked house windows. If this was a simple matter of just mowing grass... I would have bought a mower ages ago and just stayed on top of it.

Perhaps I just don't know what the fuck I'm doing. That's why I'm here asking for advice. I figure native Arizonans would know more about how to deal with this shit.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 1:34:24 AM EDT
[#6]
SteelTalon.... would Diatomaceaous earth work?
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#7]
It isn't difficult.

Follow that with a total insect killer of your choice.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:49:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
As I said earlier, I don't have the equipment necessary to be able reach all of the grass in my back yard. There are areas I can't really use a lawn mower... and using a weed wacker would kick up too many rocks.

I used to live in states where we just let grass grow and mowed that shit... No fucking rock yards, where grass and weeds *STILL* grow.

Rock yards, in my opinion, are actually trickier to keep looking decent. Even if you do nothing about weeds... a lawn can be kept looking presentable simply by mowing it, grass, weeds and all.... My old house in Casper was relatively easy to keep the grass in check. For one, all the ground was level, no rocks what so ever.... But as soon as weeds grow in a rock yard, it is IMMEDIATELY noticeable. There is no way rock yards are actually less maintenance to keep looking good.

The presence of the rocks actually makes it more difficult to manage plants material. Can't use a mower, and using a trimmer is... tricky, if you don't want cracked house windows. If this was a simple matter of just mowing grass... I would have bought a mower ages ago and just stayed on top of it.

Perhaps I just don't know what the fuck I'm doing. That's why I'm here asking for advice. I figure native Arizonans would know more about how to deal with this shit.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
what do you do?  

Once you kill it all off... either put down pre-emergent or have someone come out and do it, twice each year. I try and do it before a rain, but if not, at least get out and wet the ground. I've not had any real quantity of weeds in my "rock yard." It is a bitch when you don't maintain it, but its a problem you should only have once to learn your lesson =)

I pay my bug guy to do it, but I have 1.25 acre and at least 1/3rd of that is decorative rock and colored quarter minus gravel. Buy some good weed spray and walk around after the rains and spray anything thats coming up. After doing this for a couple of years, you will hardly have any growth in your rocks. Maybe 1 or 2 per year kind of thing.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top