Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/28/2014 1:02:54 PM EDT
So I decided to attempt to control weeds for my front yard. Previously, I've paid random landscaping companies... but the last company I used, I don't really feel like using again due to something rubbing me the wrong way. I decided to try to take care of my front yard, by myself this time. Bought a chem sprayer and groundclear. I just got done spraying all the weeds in my front yard. Should I wait a few more days before hoeing out the weeds, or should I do it later today?
Another problem is, my back yard is  just absolutely over run with grass and weeds. There is no way I can afford to buy all the weed killer needed. Problem is, there are lots of rocks back there... and none of the usual tools would work in this situation. Too many rocks for lawn mower or rake, or hoe. One particular area is basically just a rock yard with 2-3 inch wide rocks. There are lots of difficult to reach areas that I have absolutely no idea how to tackle.
I think I want a professional to come and do this... and preferably... show me how to stay on top of this so it doesn't happen again. The grass is getting so out of control, that my dog is starting to get ticks. The backyard kind of exploded with vegetation, since I almost *NEVER* go back there. This last summer has increased the vegetation in my backyard from barely existent,... to veritable jungle.
I absolutely suck in maintaining my yard here in AZ. I would think a rock yard would be less maintenance, but I'm starting to feel like a straight up grass yard is actually easier... If weeds begin to grow, so long as you mow regularly, you won't really notice the weeds. It just makes your grass look not so perfect.  But in a rock yard, it's not so easy. You can't even really use a weed wacker since that kicks up rocks that can chip house windows.
Anyways... if anyone knows of someone who can do a decent job at landscaping, removing grass, killing grass, etc... I could really appreciate it.
I live in Peoria, AZ.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Weed Burner
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
My commercial landscaper recommend Speed Zone spray.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 6:47:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Move rock, lay down landscape fabric, move rock back.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:00:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Move rock, lay down landscape fabric, move rock back.
View Quote

This. If I can remember the product, I will post it, but it is a water soluble granule. You can either mix it with water or spread it on the ground to kill virtually anything that is green. I would do as suggested by Dustrod, but before laying the fabric, spread some sort of vegetation killer, then proceed as mentioned.

If you have the money to spend, I can refer you to a great landscape guy, and he can do it for you.

Link Posted: 9/28/2014 8:07:54 PM EDT
[#5]
This will kill anything growing for one year or more. Be sure no tree roots are in the area you spray.

Pramitol

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 6:07:26 AM EDT
[#6]
You don't pull up weeds that have been sprayed that is redundant, just wait a little bit and they will die and turn yellow and eventually disintegrate. That is if your chemical mixture was right. <-- Has a pest control license

Also you can't spray right after a weed whacking because the plant goes into a different mode for a few days while it "repairs". It sounds like if you want to have an all rock backyard you need to lay down some serious herbicide and insecticide.

If I were you I would do it in this order.

Spray down some insecticide at least 1 gallon in your backyard and then another 1 gallon to go all around your perimeter and home. Give it a few days for the ticks to die.

Then go use the weed whacker the best you can, pick up as many yard trimmings as possible bugs love to live in yard trimmings, wait two days.

Then spray all your weeds with herbicide.

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:36:10 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Weed Burner
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:53:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
My commercial landscaper recommend Speed Zone spray.
View Quote

Kills whats there but no residual.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 9:58:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
This will kill anything growing for one year or more. Be sure no tree roots are in the area you spray.

Pramitol

http://www.keystonepestsolutions.com/images/Pramitol.JPG
View Quote

Very bad for the neighbors yard if your yards drains into theirs, you are liable for damage.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:07:53 PM EDT
[#10]
To keep the weeds down use Simazine, it is cheap stays put for the most part and it last, $80 for a 2.5 gallon jug. To kill existing use roundup and mix a fertilizer with it, 21-0-0 will work and so will miracle grow, it accelerates the uptake of the roundup. If you can find roundup quick pro it has diquat mixed with it and the diquat is a desiccant and it will burn the tops off the weeds and dry them up. Anythign like groundclear that is premixed is a joke and a ripoff.

http://www.drexchem.com/Products/Labels/Drexel_Simazine-90DF_10058_LABEL.pdf

For ticks get Sevin80 it works but the best it to remove their habitat which is your weeds and grass.

http://www.supremeturfproducts.com/PDF/sevin%20wsp.pdf
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 10:14:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
To keep the weeds down use Simazine, it is cheap stays put for the most part and it last, $80 for a 2.5 gallon jug. To kill existing use roundup and mix a fertilizer with it, 21-0-0 will work and so will miracle grow, it accelerates the uptake of the roundup. If you can find roundup quick pro it has diquat mixed with it and the diquat is a desiccant and it will burn the tops off the weeds and dry them up. Anythign like groundclear that is premixed is a joke and a ripoff.

http://www.drexchem.com/Products/Labels/Drexel_Simazine-90DF_10058_LABEL.pdf

For ticks get Sevin80 it works but the best it to remove their habitat which is your weeds and grass.

http://www.supremeturfproducts.com/PDF/sevin%20wsp.pdf
View Quote

John deer landscapes is where you can get the simazine and probably the sevin too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top