Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/17/2014 2:11:56 PM EDT
Just got done talking with a salesman for a solar company, he is telling me that my ROI should be about 15% (If purchased), that my electric bill will go from $400.00 a month to about $120.00 a month and that they cover roof with a warranty against leaks for 10 years.

He also said it would take between 6 to 8 weeks to get the install done.

Is there anything that I should call him on, that you all know about, or any hints or tips from people who have gone solar?

ETA.  we are talking a 15Kw system

(I am in Sedona, if that helps).
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I am sure others will be along soon and i know i read a post in GD recently.  From what I know about it, its not worth the headache.  My g/fs step-dad is a realtor and even he hates dealing with houses with them.

From what i know of "first hand", a few people i know who have it still pay a decent amount for their electric bill.  yeah, their "electric" part of the bill may have went from 400 to 100 but I guess the power companies tack on alot of fees and their bill is back in the 300 range.   From what the step-dad told me, he said those houses that have solar that are leased/rented, unless you are going to be in that house for 20+ years its not worth it.  i guess if you are renting/leasing the panels, and u want to sell your house, who ever buys your house has to also qualify for the rental/leasing of the panels.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Solar power costs more today, period.  And it will continue to cost more because hydraulic fracturing is producing such a glut of natural gas, there is zero chance silicon will beat it any time soon.  Solars only chance would be a carbon tax assuming you can get a Democrat controlled, House, Senate and Executive branch.  That's unlikely to happen.  And if the Senate goes GOP, you can bet the Koch brothers will be pushing to end the stupid money being thrown at solar to keep it alive.  

Solar is a Democrat passing fad.  Al Gore will die rich, though.  

In the news.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2014/09/17/natural-gas-boom-boosts-companies-from-coast-to-coast/?intcmp=latestnews

A solar water heater may still be worth it, though, assuming you don't already have gas.  

https://www.aps.com/en/residential/renewableenergy/typesofsolar/Pages/home.aspx
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 5:36:08 AM EDT
[#3]
A guy I work with had that done recently...he leased to save like $40 a month....I don't see the point unless you are on some kinda fixed income...
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:56:56 AM EDT
[#4]
The rules changed somewhat at the beginning of the year which allow the power companies to charge some new fees.  I contracted before the end of the year to purchase, and am exempt for ten years I think.  I would check where the panels are made-some of them are made in China and cost less.  I was on an equalizer payment plan of $126 a month.  I get generation credit most of the year and pay some on the bill during the summer.  My last bill, dated September 15 was for $14.13 with a 6.5 kW system.  For an entire year, I expect to generate more than I use.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:30:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Do you find it financially worth it?
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 11:58:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A guy I work with had that done recently...he leased to save like $40 a month....I don't see the point unless you are on some kinda fixed income...
View Quote

He's not saving $40 a month.  He's borrowing $100 a month in equity from his home when he goes to sell and has to pay a buy out or from the loss in value because of the lease encumbrance on the home.  There's no saving on back loaded leases.  It's a joke.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:46:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do you find it financially worth it?
View Quote

I'm satisfied.  For me, I think it was a good investment.  If rates don't change, it will be about 17 years to recover the costs, but I suspect rates will rise a bit by then.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top