Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2014 11:57:04 PM EDT
Finally finishing my first AR.

Need a handguard installed, and the muzzle break pinned/welded.

Any recommendations or places I should definitely avoid?
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 8:55:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Black Weapons Armory on Broadway. Talk to Tom. he does all my work and he's a straight shooter.

5645 E Broadway Blvd, Tucson, AZ 85711

(520) 829-6640
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:27:00 AM EDT
[#2]
There's a long thread on Black Weapons Armory dicking up an ARFcommers gun then pulling some shit, placing blame elsewhere, etc. Ended up ruining the guys rifle. In fact, his issues were regarding a handguard and a muzzle device. It's worth a search.

Oh, and BWA pulled an AR on a guy and an unmarked LEO on the freeway. Put it on their blog. They got a hard on about drawing down on a dude. classy guys.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 12:51:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Personally I avoid BWA, had issues with Tom back in the Factory Paint and Body days.  Bought a few things from him when BWA opened up on fifth.  Had an issue where I bought what was supposed to be a 6.8 Yhm bolt.  A few days later when I am finishing up my build, I take it out of the package and voila a 556 bolt.  Figured I'd take it back and exchange it.  Tom and a few of the other guys that worked there, spent 15 minutes telling me I'm an idiot and explaining to me that I didn't know what I was talking about and that what I bought was indeed a 6.8 bolt.  Finally the old smith that worked there came out of the back, looked at the bolt and pronounced it a 556.  I never saw an owner of a business disappear as fast as Tom did.  I got a refund through store credit, but damn I had to fight for it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 3:40:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Personally I avoid BWA, had issues with Tom back in the Factory Paint and Body days.  Bought a few things from him when BWA opened up on fifth.  Had an issue where I bought what was supposed to be a 6.8 Yhm bolt.  A few days later when I am finishing up my build, I take it out of the package and voila a 556 bolt.  Figured I'd take it back and exchange it.  Tom and a few of the other guys that worked there, spent 15 minutes telling me I'm an idiot and explaining to me that I didn't know what I was talking about and that what I bought was indeed a 6.8 bolt.  Finally the old smith that worked there came out of the back, looked at the bolt and pronounced it a 556.  I never saw an owner of a business disappear as fast as Tom did.  I got a refund through store credit, but damn I had to fight for it.
View Quote

I am avoiding them too.  No major problems for me, but enough small problems to leave a bad taste in my mouth, especially dealing with class 3 items.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 1:33:48 AM EDT
[#5]
Tuscon Guns will do it for $35.00 for a standard or $55.00 for a suppressor mount. The hole for the pin is done on an actual milling machine and the weld is done with a GTAW (TIG) Welder. Turn around depends on what day of the week you drop it off.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 7:17:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Agree with most on BWA.  No huge issues, but nothing seems to be easy there.  Definitely not buying anymore NFA there.  

Prices are not great either.  
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:36:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Sionics Weapon Systems.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:15:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Sionics Weapon Systems.
View Quote

This. The Sionics guys are gtg. One of the mods over on m4c does work for them, very solid armorer.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Tuscon Guns will do it for $35.00 for a standard or $55.00 for a suppressor mount. The hole for the pin is done on an actual milling machine and the weld is done with a GTAW (TIG) Welder. Turn around depends on what day of the week you drop it off.
View Quote

The gunsmith at Diamondback Police Supply was able to do the rail while I waited. Took the pin/weld job to Tucson Guns.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:46:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

This. The Sionics guys are gtg. One of the mods over on m4c does work for them, very solid armorer.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sionics Weapon Systems.

I will keep this in mind for next time.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 12:44:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sionics Weapon Systems.

That's the armorer that built my primary carbine, and who taught me most of what I know about being an armorer. If you haven't been through one of his armorer classes, you need to do it ASAP: Semper Paratus Arms.
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 11:59:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Tucson guns would probably be the only outfit I'd trust a gun with, followed by Diamondback then maybe 2nd Amendment.

Everyone else... not so much.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 3:27:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

I stopped going in there at all. It used to be my go to shop but prices keep getting higher, service gets worse.
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 6:10:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oh, and BWA pulled an AR on a guy and an unmarked LEO on the freeway. Put it on their blog. They got a hard on about drawing down on a dude. classy guys.
View Quote

Link to story on this?
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 7:14:11 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Link to story on this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link to story on this?

I can't find their blog anymore. Looks like they nuked it completely. It was pretty disturbing. You could tell the dude had a hard on while he wrote it, excited that he might actually get to pull the trigger on someone. It was all very heroic, you know, being a vigilante and all.

Unrelated to the incident in question, but looks like ol' Tom Rompel hasn't lost his cheery demeanor and sense of customer service.
BWA's F-rating; KVOA story
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:02:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Scott at Tucson Guns on Broadway.  He is absolutely fantastic and he has trained and used his built weapons in classes with Ayoob, Marty Hayes, Tom Givens, and Larry Vickers.  He does all of my smithing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top