Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 7:18:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Going to try some hunting in the late afternoon here in Yuma. Wish me luck!
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 8:59:49 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Going to try some hunting in the late afternoon here in Yuma. Wish me luck!
View Quote

Good luck.  How is the mesa east of the Quechan res?  

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 12:20:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Well I went out... Only got 4 birds

Also.... Got my truck stuck in soft sand.... and NO ONE would help me get unstuck. Found out that steel targets have more than just shooting purposes. I used one as a plateform for my jack so it wouldnt sink in the sand.

I hunted by Fortuna wash, I don't know anywhere else yet. I am thinking tomorrow I will try closer to the border. I heard some spots down there are suppose to be good.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 1:11:59 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Also.... Got my truck stuck in soft sand.... and NO ONE would help me get unstuck. Found out that steel targets have more than just shooting purposes. I used one as a plateform for my jack so it wouldnt sink in the sand.

I hunted by Fortuna wash, I don't know anywhere else yet. I am thinking tomorrow I will try closer to the border. I heard some spots down there are suppose to be good.
View Quote

I don't know what it's like now...but two places to look are south of the airport along the mesas there.  Just east of Hwy 95.  Another place is to hunt the river west of Yuma along Co. 11th St to 14th and that area.  You're looking for where the river turns south and heads towards Mexico.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:13:58 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Was going to try for an early morning hunt, going with my good friend, who I have not seen in a while.  If that does not pan out, I would be happy to join you.  Thanks for the invite.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Went all the way to Rio Rico for a hunt.  Our buddy said he had a cant miss location.   It sucked.  Got three birds all day.  

Any spots in the East Valley anyone wants to share.  Going to try on Saturday.  Kinda bummed for this season.  

I'm planning on going out Saturday night provided it isn't storming. You are welcome to join.

Was going to try for an early morning hunt, going with my good friend, who I have not seen in a while.  If that does not pan out, I would be happy to join you.  Thanks for the invite.  
If Im staying in town this weekend count me in.

Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not sure why there's been an increase in the last 10 yrs in outdoors people that won't help others.  I noticed this at needle rock when I got stuck one time and had 5 people that wouldn't help pull me out before I started offering money off the bat.  Sometimes people are disappointing
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:59:38 AM EDT
[#7]
I didn't see a single dove out north of Florence not hunting just getting the .06 sighted for wife's elk hunt.  Hunting isn't a challenge, coaxing a 105lb wife on pregnancy hormones into sighting in a 30 Cal rifle is
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:37:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I don't know what it's like now...but two places to look are south of the airport along the mesas there.  Just east of Hwy 95.  Another place is to hunt the river west of Yuma along Co. 11th St to 14th and that area.  You're looking for where the river turns south and heads towards Mexico.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks! I will go exploring over there when I get off tomorrow. I have to work sunday cause of the storm, but I can hunt the morning before going out.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:59:05 PM EDT
[#9]
I hit the spot I scouted tonight. It was pretty slow until the last 30 minutes of legal hunting and then it got good. I set up a new shooter in the best lane and he did decently. I'm going back there in the morning and with my new intel I expect to limit out quickly.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 2:20:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thanks! I will go exploring over there when I get off tomorrow. I have to work sunday cause of the storm, but I can hunt the morning before going out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

another place to check is the small grove of citrus just before Adair park shooting range off of 95.
I pass by there twice per day doves seem to be roosting in the grove and flying south to water in the Gila river
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 12:56:57 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I hit the spot I scouted tonight. It was pretty slow until the last 30 minutes of legal hunting and then it got good. I set up a new shooter in the best lane and he did decently. I'm going back there in the morning and with my new intel I expect to limit out quickly.
View Quote

How did it go?    We went to the area you recommended for the morning shoot.  As you said, we got peppered.  Quite a few people near the road, way closer than I thought was legal.  We only got two doves for the morning, saw a few more, but either too high, or in a position where were did not want to shoot over anyone's head.  

Did manage to shoot a couple of these.  We were walking and we almost stepped on them.  I hate these things...

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:23:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How did it go?    We went to the area you recommended for the morning shoot.  As you said, we got peppered.  Quite a few people near the road, way closer than I thought was legal.  We only got two doves for the morning, saw a few more, but either too high, or in a position where were did not want to shoot over anyone's head.  

Did manage to shoot a couple of these.  We were walking and we almost stepped on them.  I hate these things...

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/10688437_10203420041916489_5583331213341008824_o.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/10688437_10203420041916489_5583331213341008824_o.jpg

Sorry it didn't work out for you. That spot is very "snake-y".

The spot I had out east sucked in the morning. I have no idea what changed from the evening to morning. I was worried 7M3 was going to punch me in the mouth for wasting his time. We left by 7:15 with 0 birds.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:25:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I went out this afternoon/evening.  Last year, at this spot, LukeDuke and I couldn't load our shotguns fast enough to shoot all the birds flying in.  I've been out there 3 times this year.  I haven't seen a SINGLE bird.

I did find this cool moonrise though...

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:27:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I went out this afternoon/evening.  Last year, at this spot, LukeDuke and I couldn't load our shotguns fast enough to shoot all the birds flying in.  I've been out there 3 times this year.  I haven't seen a SINGLE bird.

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/webphotoalbum/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/20140908_184532_zpsw2seqzmw.jpg
View Quote

Yeah, as far as I'm concerned you can put a fork in this season-it's done.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:41:01 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i300.photobucket.com/albums/nn10/webphotoalbum/Mobile%20Uploads/2014-09/20140908_184532_zpsw2seqzmw.jpg

I think you're right sadly. I think we got really lucky to have that first morning.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 6:34:23 AM EDT
[#16]
This has been the worst dove season in my life. Been hunting here over 30 years. There just weren't any birds flying. At least my youngest son was able to get 2 birds with his new 410.  On opening day all we were seeing was low flying doubles and singles.  We didn't see any big groups at all. On a good note I did see a good amount of quail.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:19:55 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
This has been the worst dove season in my life. Been hunting here over 30 years. There just weren't any birds flying. At least my youngest son was able to get 2 birds with his new 410.  On opening day all we were seeing was low flying doubles and singles.  We didn't see any big groups at all. On a good note I did see a good amount of quail.
View Quote

Yeah but you can shoot 15 birds.....

Opening day got a limit down towards Eloy/ Casa Grande. Going to hit it up with the kids again on Saturday. Im hoping there are still a few birds around.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top