Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2014 9:25:21 PM EDT
Thinking about going to Riggs lake Friday to get away from the heat...... Wondering if I should take my trout gear.....  Think their are any trout in the lake at this time?
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 10:14:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Should be, those waters are a lot colder than Tempe Town Lake!

I'd go with a #10 hook and small nightcrawler.
Link Posted: 7/29/2014 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#2]
GO!!!

There are trout in the lake!  I would bottom fish it like the above says to.. there was a lot of plant life in the water when I was up there last and that would make lures suck.  I did see fish breaching the surface for food, and swimming along the shore so if you want to fly bubble that should work too.  dont know what is hitting up there but check the azgf fishing report for the latest.

Inflated night crawlers or power bait should work great.  Just keep in mind if you catch them that way keep n eat since they swallow the hook.

The road up is awesome(if you like curvy roads).. lots of curves but not bad.  Drove it at night and took a while, I suggest daylight.

Temps should be very nice since the lake is at 8800ft.

Was up there Mothers Day weekend.

View from south part of campground.. only about 200yds south of the camp host.

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 12:46:59 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
GO!!!

There are trout in the lake!  I would bottom fish it like the above says to.. there was a lot of plant life in the water when I was up there last and that would make lures suck.  I did see fish breaching the surface for food, and swimming along the shore so if you want to fly bubble that should work too.  dont know what is hitting up there but check the azgf fishing report for the latest.

Inflated night crawlers or power bait should work great.  Just keep in mind if you catch them that way keep n eat since they swallow the hook.

The road up is awesome(if you like curvy roads).. lots of curves but not bad.  Drove it at night and took a while, I suggest daylight.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5587/14781494854_07fb28488b_h.jpg

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5566/14781493084_ee1f205732_h.jpg

View Quote
So that road and view is kinda like going up Mingus and Jerome, eh?

Link Posted: 7/30/2014 3:33:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
GO!!!

Way steeper and bigger mountain than Mingus.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 2:25:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I have had very good success at riggs using dry flies on my fly rod.  They keep it stocked with trout, so you can't go wrong.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 6:43:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I usually fish Riggs twice a month or so.  Powerbait fished on the bottom usually does the trick.  Take lots of colors/flavors then figure out the best one and stick with it, American Pie worked a week ago.  Depending on the wind/weather they often bite on anything shiny, z-rays,super dupers, etc...  I tend to fish about halfway out to the dam from the shore, just before the little handicapped fishing area.  The weather can change from sunny/70 to windy/50 in a minute.  Be prepared for it.
Link Posted: 7/30/2014 9:07:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Are kayaks/canoes allowed on Riggs?
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:17:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Yes
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 5:22:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I usually fish Riggs twice a month or so.  Powerbait fished on the bottom usually does the trick.  Take lots of colors/flavors then figure out the best one and stick with it, American Pie worked a week ago.  Depending on the wind/weather they often bite on anything shiny, z-rays,super dupers, etc...  I tend to fish about halfway out to the dam from the shore, just before the little handicapped fishing area.  The weather can change from sunny/70 to windy/50 in a minute.  Be prepared for it.
View Quote

What is your tackle arrangement for "fishing the bottom"?  Just curious since I usually fly fish; my 7 year old wants to go with a normal pole.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:04:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GO!!!

I must go there then, love those mountain rides.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:17:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
GO!!!

its got its sporty moments.  There was a motorcycle over the edge last time we were up there.

This is all the way to the lake.  34mi from highway to lake.  The last 12 mi is dirt, fyi.

Link Posted: 7/31/2014 12:12:39 PM EDT
[#12]
The last 12 mi is dirt, fyi.
View Quote

But graded.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 4:00:52 PM EDT
[#13]
173 miles from my house to the lake. The first 140 miles took 3 horses with a horse trailer and camper. The last 33 miles took 2 hours. That should give you an idea of the road up the mountain.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 11:08:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Much thanks friends....  Lady Steel had a schedule change so it looks like Monday is our go day.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 10:00:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What is your tackle arrangement for "fishing the bottom"?  Just curious since I usually fly fish; my 7 year old wants to go with a normal pole.  Thanks!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Small hook or treble hook if you plan to keep them.  Split shot weight about 1 foot up from the hook.  Cast it out and let it settle, keep the line pretty tight, sometimes they hit it hard, sometimes just a nibble and you gotta be paying attention.  My 7 year old usually does better than me, as I tend to mess around with lures and flys.  I spend more time taking fish off his hook and re-baiting it than I do fishing sometimes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top