Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/22/2014 12:51:47 AM EDT
Looks like we will be visiting Bisbee in mid-November.  Ma Danby's grandparents lived there from about 1914-1917.  Going to be looking for Marriage Records, etc.  May also look for anything on my Grandfather who worked for the Southern Pacific for a few years around 1905 in AZ.

We may bring the tent trailer, or we may go the Hotel/Motel route.  Any suggestions along that line?

Plan to also visit Tucson, Tubac, Ft. Huachuca, Douglas, Tombstone, etc

I usually have a little friend or even a bigger friend when I go into the extreme southern or desert areas of CA.  Since at least some of the time on this trip, I expect the same concerns are present.  I understand that Concealed Carry is legal without a permit, but I can't tell if that applies only to AZ residents or everybody, any clarification on that?

Ma Danby has never been in south eastern AZ, and we definitely want to hit the AZ-Sonora Desert Museum in Tucson and the San Xavier Mission.  The Mission is on the T'Ohono Reservation, what are the firearms rules there?  Unloaded, locked in a suitable container not accessible to driver/passengers?

Rule #1 - Don't invite the man into your life, especially by being stupid.

Any other good rules I need to know, especially down by the border?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Stay at the Copper Queen Hotel. It is supposed to be haunted.

Things to do in Bisbee; Antique shopping, Copper mine tour. You ride the old ore cars into the mountain and through the old mine

Thing to do near bisbee; Visit Tombstone Az, Kartchner caverns.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:01:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I went on a field trip with my daughter's school earlier in the year and we went to Bisbee and did the Copper mine tour, and I thought it was really cool.  Also went to Tombstone, which was cool, but we were only there for like an hour.
After that we went to Kartchner caverns, and that was the highlight of the trip.  Not sure how much it was, I heard its expensive, but it was awesome!  One of the coolest places I have ever been, and the story behind it is really cool.  I would definitely recommend all 3 places, but if you are limited with time or money, I would try to make Kartchner a priority.  I believe there are 2 tours, and I believe they close one of the tours due to bat roosting/migration (something like that) at some point in the year.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:22:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Bisbee is a cool town. When my parents go down they stay at http://www.letsonlofthotel.com.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:50:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:56:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Did you find their marriage record # online?
(Might save some time at the courthouse.)

Western States Marriages Search Form

Useless Fact: The house my Grandad was living in in 1940 was eaten up by the Lavender Pit expansion.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:11:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Bisbee Grande is a much better experience than the Copper Queen IMO.....

Nice bar downstairs,  good breakfast in the AM (included)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#7]
The Copper Queen is very historical though.  The Gadsden in Douglas is even more so.

If your family left it 1917 he could have been some part of the Wobbly mess.  It will be interesting to find out.
I visit all of the cities monthly and have lived here 20 years.

Bisbee, there is a shooting range we recently cleaned up behind the mountain to the left of the baseball park.  
Bisbee is divided into boroughs that were established about the time your ancestor was there. Old Bisbee  is the original settlement. Irish were the predominant group there in the early years.  Brewery Gulch  is a very narrow street so park in the large yard as you rive in.  I highly recommend Santiago's Mexican food which is right next to the Copper Queen. Then drive around the mine pit and you will come to the almost Ghost town of Lowell. keep driving south and you will come to Warren which is where the upper class folks lived in 1917.  You will be near TinTown (Bohunks from Eastern Europe) San Jose (Mexican) there is another place I can't remember right now.  Oh, the Chinese had a section of Old Bisbee,  The Wobbly's were early Communists and were mainly Irish and Bohunks, Google their history.
Tombstone, of course walk the boardwalk, take your pictures at the O K Corral the walk to the other end of town and go to the Crystal Palace museum, you have to pay but it is worth it.
Sierra Vista, most of your stay should be here.  Stay at the Wyndemere, Holliday Inn, Quality Inn.  IHOP is near all of them. The Mall is right there also.  I recommend the Mesquite Tree for steaks, salmon, etc.  (a bit pricy)  Mexican food is excellent.  We like Ricardos, La Casita, (Dominic the owner was Conference Champion Shot Put thrower) La Fuente (new here but a Tucson top eatery)  The Texas Roadhouse and the Aussie place is also here.  
Visit Ft. Huachuca and it's really wonderful museum.  Leave you guns locked in you hotel room when you go on post.  
My suggestion, Come in on Highway 90, stay on Buffalo Soldier trail until Avinida Cochise, turn left and go to Highway 92, The Mall.  get your room and go to a nice meal.
Next go to Tombstone on the Charleston Road,  (Past Martin Luther King road the Walmart) turn right and go past the College, Buena H S, and then the Charleston Road.  It is only 15 miles to Tombstone this way.  Be careful that was mostly Clanton land and cattle is still crossing the road.
After Tombstone goto Bisbee and have fun, then take the back way back to Sierra Vista, of course you want to go along the border don't you?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:37:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you find their marriage record # online?
(Might save some time at the courthouse.)

Western States Marriages Search Form

Useless Fact: The house my Grandad was living in in 1940 was eaten up by the Lavender Pit expansion.

View Quote

I'll pass that one on to Ma Danby.  She may have seen it, underneath her meek and mild Children's Librarian disguise, lurks a Reference Librarian.  She has done a lot of on-line searching, and a trip to Scottsbluff and the State Archives in Lincoln.  Let's just say that there is an interesting dearth of supporting paperwork on the old gal.  Including a 3rd marriage before the 2nd marriage divorce was final..  Something about getting the marriage filed with the USMC before the 1st Marines left San Diego.

In any case, Ma Danby has never been south of I-40 in AZ and it's been along time since I traveled I-8 so we are going soon sometime anyway.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 6:41:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I haven't looked at the files or chronology recently, but IIRC, the 1st husband got a deferment, then  applied for a status change and was drafted, and was out of town in the Army when the, uhh, umm, one way train rides were given to the Wobblies.  (Having met her grandmother, I might have decided a government paid vacation away from her was a good idea, too.)
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:22:38 PM EDT
[#10]
The Desert Museum is awesome, you'll both enjoy it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top