Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/19/2014 8:04:43 AM EDT
Well, after planning this for some time, it looks like my trek West is finally gonna happen in a couple of weeks. Here's what I need to know:

I know I have to get emissions testing done on my '96 Suburban diesel. Any recommendations on a shop? Or do all the testing places check diesels too?

Will I need to retain the catalytic converter and/or muffler, or can I lose them? From what I understand, the cat's basically a soot catcher, I'd like a more free-flowing exhaust

Also, how restrictive are the regs on window tinting? Haven't done that yet, but I'm thinking it's probably a good idea.

Thanks in advance!  Looking forward to being able to say I'm FROM the east coast, lol.

BTW, will be living in NW Phoenix.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:38:45 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't answer a single one of your questions, but congrats on getting out of CT.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I'm a glutton for punishment. Moved out of Maryland to CT, then moved back again. Two states gone full retard. Plus I'm starting to really hate the winters over here.
Used to love the snow and ice, now it's just a pain in the ass.

Although I did get my CCW in CT, and that's just a fantasy in Maryland.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Cat has to stay, the muffler can be worked around with a little creativity. Look into a catback free flow exhaust if needed. Most if not all the stations do diesel....I believe 96 is one of the OBD only years covered.
Tint is pretty open. I think "legal: on the front side windows is like 30% but I have had Limo on all windows (other than the windshield) for decades will little to know issues. It really depends on the cop and your attitude.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 11:40:29 AM EDT
[#5]
Moving from the east coast, you're going to have no problems. The only inspections you're going to have are going to be for emissions, none of the crazy stuff you have back east, and it's all done by the state, not every shady shop in town.

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't forget to pick up your freedom at the border...and have your ammo tax handy for Rizzo.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well, after planning this for some time, it looks like my trek West is finally gonna happen in a couple of weeks.

View Quote

Don't want to hijack, but I'm also making the drive from W.MA in about two or three weeks with a trailer/camper.

Does anybody have any advise for a good towing route? I would like to avoid excessive hills if possible, but I would also like to go through Tennessee.

I'm VERY excited about this move!
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:37:47 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't want to hijack, but I'm also making the drive from W.MA in about two or three weeks with a trailer/camper.

Does anybody have any advise for a good towing route? I would like to avoid excessive hills if possible, but I would also like to go through Tennessee.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Well, after planning this for some time, it looks like my trek West is finally gonna happen in a couple of weeks.

Aw geez, another Masshole...wait, Western MA you say? He's good fella's, those from the western side are not like the fucktards in the rest of the state.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:46:48 PM EDT
[#9]
You've got (as I recall) 90 days to sort all that out.  Where are you planning on landing in PHX?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:47:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
[Aw geez, another Masshole...wait, Western MA you say? He's good fella's, those from the western side are not like the fucktards in the rest of the state.
View Quote

Haha! Yeah, I'm not like those fucktards, or any of the other MA/New England types that make people's skin crawl.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 3:52:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Haha! Yeah, I'm not like those fucktards, or any of the other MA/New England types that make people's skin crawl.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
[Aw geez, another Masshole...wait, Western MA you say? He's good fella's, those from the western side are not like the fucktards in the rest of the state.

I'm an odd rarity; I'm from Stoughton, South Shore and extremely anti-leftard.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:46:03 PM EDT
[#12]
My 02 7.3 had a straight pipe, no cat. You will have to hit the rev limiter a couple times.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:17:59 PM EDT
[#13]

Welcome to Arizona `TR!
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 9:20:03 PM EDT
[#14]
they are pretty lenient on tint but the front windows are supposed to be no darker than thirty percent.  Since the summer is surface of the sun hot I don't know anyone ticketed for darker tint though.  You can even get away with a very mild tint on the whole windshield here.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 10:15:07 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
they are pretty lenient on tint but the front windows are supposed to be no darker than thirty percent.  Since the summer is surface of the sun hot I don't know anyone ticketed for darker tint though.  You can even get away with a very mild tint on the whole windshield here.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/20/2014 7:41:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.gromforum.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=6770&d=1397837465

Ah shit.  Give a guy a badge and next thing you know he's beating up little old ladies
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:26:48 AM EDT
[#17]
Driver and passenger window tint can't block more than 33% or reflect more than 35% of light.  It's not really enforced because the courts have the discretion to drop the fine if the tint is corrected at the time of appearance.  My opinion is since it's not a revenue generator, cops don't enforce it, that or they have better things to do than write tint tickets.   Illegal tint is very easy to spot since the intent of the law was for officers to be able to readily identify drivers and passengers.  It's an easy eyeball test.  Driving on any given street in greater Phoenix, I could easily write thousands of dollars of tickets.  This is why I know it's not enforced.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:50:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Driver and passenger window tint can't block more than 33% or reflect more than 35% of light.  It's not really enforced because the courts have the discretion to drop the fine if the tint is corrected at the time of appearance.  My opinion is since it's not a revenue generator, cops don't enforce it, that or they have better things to do than write tint tickets.   Illegal tint is very easy to spot since the intent of the law was for officers to be able to readily identify drivers and passengers.  It's an easy eyeball test.  Driving on any given street in greater Phoenix, I could easily write thousands of dollars of tickets.  This is why I know it's not enforced.
View Quote

Yeah, its basically an excuse to pull you over.. and something they can write you for if you are a dick. I've gotten away with it for years, and known quite a few  that had to scrape it off. If you stay under limo (or double limo) on the sides, most will ignore it in my experience, but keep in mind that you can get pulled over for it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:37:04 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I can't answer a single one of your questions, but congrats on getting out of CT.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:54:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You've got (as I recall) 90 days to sort all that out.  Where are you planning on landing in PHX?
View Quote

Near North 15th Drive and Osborn. Seems like a pretty decent neighborhood.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:54:10 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dude.  Pick a new location.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:01:41 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why? Encanto is neat.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:16:57 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why? Encanto is neat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? Encanto is neat.

It's improving, but with 15 burglaries in the last 2 weeks within 1/2 mile of that intersection...
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:21:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

It's improving, but with 15 burglaries in the last 2 weeks within 1/2 mile of that intersection...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Why? Encanto is neat.

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:10:56 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why? Encanto is neat.

OP has been busy!

Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:30:16 PM EDT
[#26]
What part of ct OP?  I am also a transplant from the cut.  A large group of us migrated
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 7:36:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What part of ct OP?  I am also a transplant from the cut.  A large group of us migrated
View Quote

Originally from MD, but lived in Trumbull for several years. Spent some time working on building the largest yacht constructed in the U.S. since J. Paul Getty built his in the 30s.
Google "Cakewalk Yacht" for some amazing pics.

To those suggesting I find another place, my brother died and left this house, so that's where I'll be for a while. If I can make enough, I'll sell it and move, but this is sort of a restart for me. Haven't really made much in the last few years since the house construction market tanked. Hoping for new opportunities in a free state.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 8:45:37 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this, fuck that area
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:23:22 AM EDT
[#29]
I lived in that area for about six months couldnt get out fast enough.  If you insist on staying for a while spend some money on a really good six or eight camera system and an alarm system.  Get a car alarm too.  It will keep them away from your home.  
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Originally from MD, but lived in Trumbull for several years. Spent some time working on building the largest yacht constructed in the U.S. since J. Paul Getty built his in the 30s.

To those suggesting I find another place, my brother died and left this house, so that's where I'll be for a while. If I can make enough, I'll sell it and move, but this is sort of a restart for me. Haven't really made much in the last few years since the house construction market tanked. Hoping for new opportunities in a free state.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Roger that.  Sorry to hear about your brother.

Link Posted: 7/22/2014 1:04:58 PM EDT
[#31]
Tomrocks, I'm going to be staying a little bit west of there.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:15:38 AM EDT
[#32]
I'm planning on taking I-81 to I-10, then west. Route goes through, I think, Kentucky and Tennessee. Not sure when I'm leaving, but if you might be interested in convoying at least part of the way, IM me. I'll be getting on 81 off of 70, probably close to the end of your first day of the trip.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:01:17 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Well, after planning this for some time, it looks like my trek West is finally gonna happen in a couple of weeks. Here's what I need to know:

I know I have to get emissions testing done on my '96 Suburban diesel. Any recommendations on a shop? Or do all the testing places check diesels too?

Will I need to retain the catalytic converter and/or muffler, or can I lose them? From what I understand, the cat's basically a soot catcher, I'd like a more free-flowing exhaust

Also, how restrictive are the regs on window tinting? Haven't done that yet, but I'm thinking it's probably a good idea.

Thanks in advance!  Looking forward to being able to say I'm FROM the east coast, lol.

View Quote

drive yourself up to mohave county(kingman) and register your car(s) up here . use a friends address or whatever.
no emissions compliance required, no smog check,nada.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top