Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2012 6:12:02 PM EDT
Defensive Carbine - Cherry, AZ

March 17th, 8a - 5:30p

Come up and enjoy the cooler temps of Northern AZ while learning to work your carbine efficiently and effectively.

$150.00
50% deposit required to register. Register online through the link below or with a credit/debit card over the phone.

400-500 rounds recommended

Full Course Description here: http://independencetraining.com/courses.htm#defensivecarbine

Contact me with any questions: Glen Stilson  520-831-3683  [email protected]

Student AARs:
http://independencetraining.com/testimonials.htm#carbinedalen
http://independencetraining.com/testimonials.htm#carbinecy
http://independencetraining.com/testimonials.htm#carbinemark

AzIDPA (Mark P) Review of Defensive Carbine:
http://www.arizonashooting.com/v3/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=138269&hilit=independence

If there is enough interest we can also schedule a Practical Shotgun or Defensive Handgun course the following day on March 18th.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:31:25 PM EDT
[#1]
crap - looks like i'll be in Tucson that day
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:57:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Damn, if I wasn't living la vida pobre I would run this class again with my AK.

For those considering taking a class, this is a bargain for the quality of instruction and information you will get.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 9:47:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
hey - I think I can finally do this!

Do it. Absolutely fucking do it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:16:01 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

hey - I think I can finally do this!

Do it. Absolutely fucking do it.

this.  I hope I can make it to refresh.

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 5:44:29 AM EDT
[#5]
We've altered the course a little for 2012 - so if anyone is considering taking a refresh, you'll really like the new drills.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 3:01:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Just a reminder - little more than a month away.
Link Posted: 2/3/2012 5:54:23 PM EDT
[#7]
been a long holiday season of no training at all. Im going to try to make this for a refresher.
Link Posted: 2/5/2012 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Wife gave the green light! Payment will be sent tomorrow!
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 6:41:58 AM EDT
[#9]
Any experience recommended before taking this course? I'd really like to get out there but I have no formal training at all.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 10:36:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Any experience recommended before taking this course? I'd really like to get out there but I have no formal training at all.

No experience needed for this course. We often have a mix of experience levels in our courses, and we know how to handle that. By the end of the course, everyone will be on the same page. Don't be worried about feeling out of place or looking foolish - the only way to learn is to get out there and do it, and everyone is there for the same reasons you are.

Link Posted: 2/7/2012 6:32:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

No experience needed for this course. We often have a mix of experience levels in our courses, and we know how to handle that. By the end of the course, everyone will be on the same page. Don't be worried about feeling out of place or looking foolish - the only way to learn is to get out there and do it, and everyone is there for the same reasons you are.

Awesome, I'm going to talk to a buddy of mine and see if he's free to go also.
Link Posted: 2/7/2012 6:59:52 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

defensive carbine was my first formal training. My experience before was only with running around the desert shooting targets on my own from various positions.  

I learned a lot from this class and nobody had any issues keeping pace.    It is taught well and you will probably learn a lot and be more confident with your rifle and know what to work on when it is over.  

Best money I have spent in a long time.

Link Posted: 2/8/2012 10:22:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:

defensive carbine was my first formal training. My experience before was only with running around the desert shooting targets on my own from various positions.  

I learned a lot from this class and nobody had any issues keeping pace.    It is taught well and you will probably learn a lot and be more confident with your rifle and know what to work on when it is over.  

Best money I have spent in a long time.

Thanks for that! I called my friend today and we're gonna try to make plans for this. Money has been tight for him lately but I may spot him or something just to have a buddy to go with and maybe camp over night.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 6:27:19 AM EDT
[#14]
registered for this !  
Link Posted: 2/19/2012 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Fyi for anyone going (or if you just want more ammo)

Brownells has a deal $283 delivered for 1000 rounds of lake city XM193

http://www.slickguns.com/product/federal-556mm-m193-rifle-ammunition-1000-rounds-29999-free-shipping

Pretty good price if you ask me.

Last time it took me about two weeks to get it but imo, worth it

Also picked up some 855
Link Posted: 3/3/2012 11:14:48 AM EDT
[#16]
Glenn,
Will I be able to collect my brass when were done?
Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/5/2012 12:22:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Glenn,
Will I be able to collect my brass when were done?
Thanks!

Yes - anyone who wants their brass can gather it up.

Link Posted: 3/7/2012 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Is there still room in this class?
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 4:36:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Yes, there are 3 spots open out of a total of 10 spots available.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 5:24:49 AM EDT
[#20]
OK I'm in, finally.

Will two belt mounted AR mag holders be sufficient? I don't have a tactical vest or chest rig. I can always pick up a cheap condor chest rig if you think it would it would be beneficial.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 6:15:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Cant wait this should be fun!

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 6:05:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OK I'm in, finally.

Will two belt mounted AR mag holders be sufficient? I don't have a tactical vest or chest rig. I can always pick up a cheap condor chest rig if you think it would it would be beneficial.

Train with the gear that you will most likely have with you should you need your carbine in a real-world situation.

For most people, belt mounted carriers are perfect.

Link Posted: 3/8/2012 6:28:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone in the east valley attending this that wants to carpool? I'm not planning on camping but it's always an option.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 7:50:48 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I brought a chest rig to my carbine class with the idea that I would refill my two belt pouches. What happened in actuality is that I was the only one who was thinking about this so I ended up ditching it after the first couple reload breaks as we were stopping anyway.

What you really should do though, bring as many loaded mags as you can. I know I got to pick Glen's brain a lot and rehydrate more often because I already had my mags loaded. When it came time to reup the belt, I just grabbed a couple fresh mags out of the bag and in went the empties into another. The other guys were reloading mag by mag and you could tell after the 10th time doing it that they were over loading mags. This also gives you more time to relube, tie your shoes, whatever you have to do, instead of missing drills or feeling rushed.
Link Posted: 3/8/2012 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Fucking stoked! Cant wait!
Is there pizza delivery out in Cherry? Kinda sounds better then the cold subway I plan on picking up the night before.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 5:13:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I brought a chest rig to my carbine class with the idea that I would refill my two belt pouches. What happened in actuality is that I was the only one who was thinking about this so I ended up ditching it after the first couple reload breaks as we were stopping anyway.

What you really should do though, bring as many loaded mags as you can.

So like 10-15 loaded ? more less ?
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 6:22:04 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Im bringing 10. Should save some time during loading breaks.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 2:31:52 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I brought like, 40. I didn't use them all. I also didn't have to reload at all either. I'd look at the round count of the class, divide it into mags, then throw in a few more in case you have problems mags, etc. 10 or 15 is probably sufficient, although I'd lean 15 or 20 in case you need to loan a couple out or find out one or two is a pos.
Link Posted: 3/9/2012 9:42:05 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Fucking stoked! Cant wait!
Is there pizza delivery out in Cherry? Kinda sounds better then the cold subway I plan on picking up the night before.

Haha, I don't really know! Never tried, but I'm sure for the right price you could get someone out there. Whatever you eat, make it light and not a big heavy meal, because we usually save "the fun" for after lunch.

As for mags, listen to JohnnyC's advice above. He is spot on.

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 8:35:23 PM EDT
[#30]
Last minute check of my list. Hope I have what I need. Heard its gonna be windy!
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 8:49:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Windy, windy, windy - but we're used to that up here. The next day we have a private Defensive Handgun course, and we have a 70% chance of snow. Bring it on.
Link Posted: 3/16/2012 7:34:14 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Windy, windy, windy - but we're used to that up here. The next day we have a private Defensive Handgun course, and we have a 70% chance of snow. Bring it on.

I'm not too upset over the forecast I'd rather have that weather than have it be 85 or 90 :)

Link Posted: 3/16/2012 10:17:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm not too upset over the forecast I'd rather have that weather than have it be 85 or 90 :)

Yeah no doubt, wondering if I should bother to bring an ez up/quick shade as I'm afraid it will be blown away.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 12:17:59 PM EDT
[#34]

Rizzo letting me know how much he loves my clearing of a double feed!

What a great time! I truly enjoyed training with Independence and the other students. I definitely want more training!
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 1:18:13 PM EDT
[#35]
Yep! It was a good time or sure... Especially the cows walking around behind the targets in the morning haha.

I hope to see you guys again the future
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top