Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/5/2011 5:46:31 PM EDT
Ok first things first, I do not have any pics from the event, sorry guys, but I was shooting non stop. Which is why you should have been there... and why you should go next time you have the opportunity!
Now onto the After Action Report.

I went into appleseed with about 1750 rounds through my rifle as my only experience ever with a firearm, and I have only shot from a standing unsupported position.

the gear:
Smith and Wesson MP15-22 Rifle, with rail covers
Federal Bulk 36 gr Hallow point ammo
an old peice of carpet for a shooters mat

Day one:
Holy shit it is cold.
WOW these targets are pretty damn small!
We all met eachother, and went on to our safety briefing, This is an Extremely safe and well controlled event!
after that we move to sighting in our rifles. after sighting in our rifles we covered the basics of shooting from a prone position, and using a sling for stabilization/ load bearing, and the 6 steps of firing a shot.
After just covering these basic things and having instructors that did a great job of explaining these, and showing us I was starting to hit targets.
By lunch I had gotten the sling how I liked, and shot a 65 or 67 on the AQT (Army Qualification Test). I was pretty dissapointed by the score, but at the same time I already felt as if I had become a x10 better shot.
At lunch we all sat around together eating our meals and hearing about the revolutionary war. This was not a quick review of 6th grade history class. This was true in depth and interesting history, and even though im not a huge history buff I was pretty interested and enjoyed our lecture and conversations pertaining to the revolutionary war.
After lunch it was back to AQT's but I was having some issues with my point of impact going up by almost two inched from where it originally was, looking back I believe it was becuase I had fiddled with the sling tension after lunch.
after the first day I looked back and thought a few things.
This is an AWESOME experience for any level of shooter, a beginner can get so much out of this, and an experienced shooter is still going to have a great time and get some good practice in while spending time with a great group of guys.
so I got home, grabbed some grub and did about an hour of practicing prone position and natural point of aim.

DAY 2
HOLY SHIT ITS EVEN COLDER THIS MORNING!
anyways on with the day. I start the morning off now shooting like 2" low of my point of aim, again the instructors did everything in their power to help me trouble shoot, but I ended up making a sight adjustment (I also believe this was caused by using the sling differently/ with different tensions).
anyways I got all that delt with and before lunch I shot a 177 on the AQT, HOT DAMN THAT FEELS GOOD! and within a few more AQT's some one else there shot a 215, making him a rifleman.
Lunch,
at lunch sunday we all sat down and talked about the three battles the lead to the revolutionary war actually becoming a war. and a few other short stories of mean old bastards and young women that were dedicated to the their country. Once again, very intriguing stories and conversations that I really enjoyed.
Post lunch my point of impact is off again, jesus this is frustrating, once again I adjust sights and get back to going to town on some targets. As the sun comes up to 12 in the early afternoon im starting to have issues with sight visibility. so the instructors help make me a ghetto hood for my front and rear sights, but the shooting doesnt improve much. I was worn out but still having a blast.

We wrapped up the day and said our goodbyes.

Looking back on it I found a few issues with equipment
1) I need a GI sling for supported shooting, these things are awesome and improved my accuracy and grouping incredibly
2) I need to get a better pair of sights, the stock sights on this rifle are slightly glossy and have a radiused edge on the front sight causing some issues with glare

I need to start shooting at a range that allows me to shoot from multiple positions at longer distances, and I should definitely try a bit of competition shooting.

So overall:
Appleseed is GREAT! Seriously guys, get up, go to one, your shooting will improve.
The instructors and shooters there are great guys, and I had a blast and learned so much.
I went from shooting groups the size of my palm to shooting 5 shot groups that could be covered with a half dollar.
I went from shooting a 65 on the AQT to shooting a 177.

and now I have a challenge for my fellow AR15.com'ers.
Come out with me and shoot the AQT, I have about 20 untouched AQT targets and I am sure you guys will enjoy it, just let me know if your interested, Im always game to go shooting.
the second challenge is to gather togther some damn ammo and go to an appleseed!
its a blast, and I have no problem giving someone a ride if they need.

*Link to appleseed AAR on appleseed forums*
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=26526.0

Link Posted: 12/5/2011 7:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Thanks for the AAR. I've always wanted to go to one of these - but my schedule is always packed when they are happening near me! Guess I just need to put in on the schedule.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 7:02:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Thanks for the AAR. I've always wanted to go to one of these - but my schedule is always packed when they are happening near me! Guess I just need to put in on the schedule.

Well, I hope you can get some time set aside for one. You will thoroughly enjoy it.
I am hoping to see one at ben every or rio salado in the first few months of the new year. The more support from greater phoenix they get the more likely that is to happen.

Link Posted: 12/6/2011 7:08:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Damn, I forgot all about it.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ill be making another thread the moment I hear about the next appleseed around phoenix.
They do them quite often in sierra vista, so if enough people want to go then we could all carpool and share hotel rooms down there.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 9:25:28 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ill be making another thread the moment I hear about the next appleseed around phoenix.

They do them quite often in sierra vista, so if enough people want to go then we could all carpool and share hotel rooms down there.

Share a hotel room?  With your typical Arfcommer?  I could only imagine.  We gonna do head/feet in the bed, or just cut the formalities and do head/head?  

I'm in.
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 10:53:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Share a hotel room?  With your typical Arfcommer?  I could only imagine.  We gonna do head/feet in the bed, or just cut the formalities and do head/head?  

I'm in.

hahaha
well I ment two bed, but if you guys are about two guys one bed then its going to be two men, two rifles, and a whole hella lot of cuddling. no ass to ass or head to foot bullshit

Also if you are under 21.... its free
If you are active military or a veteran.... its free
if you are a female.... I believe its free

And even if its not free for you it is super frickin cheap
Link Posted: 12/6/2011 5:23:11 PM EDT
[#7]
I have been thinking about taking my son to one of these events, where there any children shooting there?  

Birchwood Casey makes "Sight Black" that you can put on your sights to remove the glare.  Some age enabled shooters use a carbide torch or lighters to black out their sights.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 3:59:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have been thinking about taking my son to one of these events, where there any children shooting there?  

Birchwood Casey makes "Sight Black" that you can put on your sights to remove the glare.  Some age enabled shooters use a carbide torch or lighters to black out their sights.

yeah they encourage this event for kids, as long as they know basic fire arm safety.
At the event I was at the was one 15 year old, and he was doing pretty well.

thanks for the advice on "Sight Black" I will look into that, IDK about using a torch since this appears to be Zinc Plated.
Link Posted: 12/7/2011 6:26:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Dang!  Forgot all about this!  When is the next one in the Phx area?  My Nephew really wanted to go to this and I forgot.  Is it .22lr only or can other calibers be fired?

BikerScout
Sunny AZ
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 5:52:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Biker Scout,

This would be an incredible learning experience for your nephew, and im sure you would have a blast as well.
It appears all calibers that are allowed at the range they are at is allowed at the applesed.
they were encouraging us to bring out the .223's and .308's to really challenge ourselves.

As far as more in PHX area, It is all up to US!
if you guys join up on the appleseed forums, and start requesting some events in the greater phoenix area, and people show up then there will be more events around here.
The problem is there were only 3 shooters at this event, they want to see some bigger turn outs (10+) to start really focusing on events in the greater phoenix area.

there has been talk about doing another event at Joe Foss? Ben Avery, and Rio Salado, they just cant get enough people to commit to it.
Link Posted: 12/8/2011 10:03:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Only 3 shooters!
I figured turn out would be much higher.  Reading all the info on the AppleSeed website this really looks like alot of fun.  Been trying to make one but, times just don't match up for me or like the last one.  I just got too busy and forgot.

BikerScout
Sunny AZ
Link Posted: 12/9/2011 4:18:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Only 3 shooters!
I figured turn out would be much higher.  Reading all the info on the AppleSeed website this really looks like alot of fun.  Been trying to make one but, times just don't match up for me or like the last one.  I just got too busy and forgot.

BikerScout
Sunny AZ

sierra vista events are turning out 25-45 people, they want to start seeing decent turn outs at phoenix events to continue scheduling them
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top