Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2010 7:23:46 PM EDT
I got a zombie debt letter for about $300 from one of the courts in AZ for a speeding ticket I absolutely know I paid after I got it.  I went thru a background check for a security clearance and have received 2 concealed carry permits within the last 8 years.  I'm quite sure that if I had failed to appear and not pay a ticket I would have been in jail looooong ago.  My background is squeaky clean.

I have contacted my bank to find a record of the payment transaction but they say they only have access to 7 years of statement history.  The rep elevated the request to the "transaction/records" dept to try and locate it.  Unfortunately, the ticket was paid 8 years ago.

This is really, really weird.  I know for damned sure I paid this ticket, it is not in doubt.

I contacted the court and gave them the case number and was told it had been transferred to "a / the" "collections agency."  I asked her if this "agency" was a private company who purchased the debt or if it was a government entity like a court.  She was inept and completely unable to answer this question.  

Correct me if I'm wrong.... failure to appear and not paying tickets gets you bench warrants.  I really am not buying this nonsense.  AZ HTF laywers, how should I clear this up?

Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:17:44 PM EDT
[#1]
You don't keep your own records? Ouch.
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 8:59:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I got a zombie debt letter for about $300 from one of the courts in AZ for a speeding ticket I absolutely know I paid after I got it.  I went thru a background check for a security clearance and have received 2 concealed carry permits within the last 8 years.  I'm quite sure that if I had failed to appear and not pay a ticket I would have been in jail looooong ago.  My background is squeaky clean.

I have contacted my bank to find a record of the payment transaction but they say they only have access to 7 years of statement history.  The rep elevated the request to the "transaction/records" dept to try and locate it.  Unfortunately, the ticket was paid 8 years ago.

This is really, really weird.  I know for damned sure I paid this ticket, it is not in doubt.

I contacted the court and gave them the case number and was told it had been transferred to "a / the" "collections agency."  I asked her if this "agency" was a private company who purchased the debt or if it was a government entity like a court.  She was inept and completely unable to answer this question.  

Correct me if I'm wrong.... failure to appear and not paying tickets gets you bench warrants.  I really am not buying this nonsense.  AZ HTF laywers, how should I clear this up?

What's the case number and county that's trying to shaft you?  IM me the info if you want... As for the case, was it a criminal case or a civil case?  Also, find out if there was a warrant issued... if not the statute of limitations should apply.  I'm pretty sure that's the way it'd work, but then again I'm not a lawyer.
Also, verify the number provided actually goes to the court and not a third party (like a scam artist).  
-SleeperShooter
Link Posted: 4/21/2010 9:25:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 4:53:25 AM EDT
[#4]
I received the citation in Sep 2002.  I just looked up the case info on the internet and it says:

04/09/2010FARE: COLLECTION LTR TYPE 1D 1
05/22/2008FUND: FARE FEE SPEC COLLD 1
05/22/2008INFO: ASSIGNED TO FARED 1
05/22/2008FUND: FARE DELINQUENCY FEED 1
03/13/2003FUND: 2002 SURCHARGES (80%)D 1
03/13/2003SUSPENSIOND 1
03/13/2003FUND: BASE FINED 1
03/13/2003FUND: 2002 PROBATION SURCHARGED 1
03/13/2003FUND: TIME PYMT $20 JCEFD 1
09/16/2002COMPLAINT FILED-UNIFORM CITATND 1
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 5:54:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#6]
I still have a copy of the original citation and the friendly letter the Cochise County Sheriff sent me reminding me to pay the ticket or get a bench warrant.

Needless to say, I paid the ticket.  I also deployed in early October 2002... it was very much on my mind to make sure it was taken care of.
Link Posted: 4/22/2010 10:35:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top