User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 5/22/2017 1:59:55 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 2:51:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Link automatically works for me.

Good information there to keep in mind.

I deal with this from time to time as some of my customers ask about these questions. I tell them the knife is a tool, and is intended as such.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 4:25:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Good read... but I would ask him what is the law on the carry of a Automatics. I do carry a HK automatic at work and use it as a tool..  From what I have read in the ORC its illegal to sell them and you can buy them if you are active mill or Leo but it says nothing about owning them?  

IMO if I can carry a gun concealed then whats the big dam deal about a auto knife... the laws are written to protect and side with the state and not the individual . just my 2 cents
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 8:06:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good read... but I would ask him what is the law on the carry of a Automatics. I do carry a HK automatic at work and use it as a tool..  From what I have read in the ORC its illegal to sell them and you can buy them if you are active mill or Leo but it says nothing about owning them?  

IMO if I can carry a gun concealed then whats the big dam deal about a auto knife... the laws are written to protect and side with the state and not the individual . just my 2 cents
View Quote
This is why I would love to Ohio's CHL law change to CCW law.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 10:25:00 PM EDT
[#4]
1 thing to note... Some cities have their own knife laws... That specify blade length
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 11:27:19 AM EDT
[#5]
So if I read that correctly, I can have my handgun concealed, but if my knife clip doesn't catch my pocket, I'm committing a crime?

Dafuq ohio? I thought I got out of the stupidity leaving cali.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 5:57:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So if I read that correctly, I can have my handgun concealed, but if my knife clip doesn't catch my pocket, I'm committing a crime?

View Quote
The law leaves up it to law enforcement and courts to decide if your knife is a weapon or a tool.  The article discusses some factors that have been used to make that decision.  Read it again, don't just skim through it.  Are you really carrying it as a tool and acting accordingly?  Or is it really a weapon and acting accordingly?

I carry a Kershaw Blur quite often deep in my front pants pocket.  It's sharp, opens fast, durable, not expensive, that makes it a handy tool.  That's all I have it for.  I have no training in knife fighting, and would lose a knife fight even if my life depended on it.  I don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 5/26/2017 7:07:51 PM EDT
[#7]
If I ever won a seat in the Ohio house I think I'd make it my passion to pore through laws and regulations to rewrite or repeal at least the ass backwards ones. City Council might be a better place to start, though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 1:31:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I did read the article in full, it's the shock and awe of stupidity that caught me.

My knives are tools, I carry a gun for a weapon. I also have a really good track record of not getting into fights and/or being under the scrutiny of law enforcement.

Never have I worried about it, even being under 18 in new jersey. Still carry the same gerber dmf auto to this day.
Link Posted: 5/27/2017 5:00:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you have a CHL, yes you can have your handgun concealed. Otherwise, no you cannot. Since a CHL is a Concealed Handgun License, it doesn't cover any other weapons. If your knife is a cutting tool, I don't know what your concern is.

It does seem silly to have a license to carry a firearm but not allowed to carry other weapons. Some might argue there is no safety test for those other weapons as there is for a CHL.

I personally don't think a license should be required for any of it, carry whatever you want however you want to...but that's a different issue.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 9:51:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll just stop trying to understand it. Like I said, my knife IS a tool. I carry a handgun as weapon (in the respect that I don't try to open boxes using a gun, and a mugger is going to get a gun used against them, not a knife)... yes I have a chl.

Stupidity knows no bounds.

I agree wholeheartedly that as a generally law-abiding citizen, I should not be restricted with which tools or weapons I wish to carry in public, open or concealed. The only time my "weapon" is an issue to anyone is if they try to harm me.

ETA: if you live in ohio, and post on arfcom, how/why wouldn't you have a CHL? Same as any other "free" state...
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:14:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'll just stop trying to understand it. Like I said, my knife IS a tool.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I'll just stop trying to understand it. Like I said, my knife IS a tool.
Nothing else to understand. You're fine.

ETA: if you live in ohio, and post on arfcom, how/why wouldn't you have a CHL? Same as any other "free" state...
Classes aren't convenient. Now that the classroom hours requirement has been lowered, it is less inconvenient, but for a person busy working and/or raising a family it can be difficult.
Link Posted: 5/29/2017 10:35:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Taken a serious liking to knives here lately.  I try to avoid any assisted/auto knives but here's a page that references some of the states ruling on court cases involving knifes.

knifeup - Ohio Knife Laws
Link Posted: 5/30/2017 6:45:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Nothing else to understand. You're fine.

Classes aren't convenient. Now that the classroom hours requirement has been lowered, it is less inconvenient, but for a person busy working and/or raising a family it can be difficult.
View Quote
I work 7 hours a day, drive 45-1hr to school, 8 hours at school, and another 45-1hr home. 5 days a week. There's no excuses, I managed to make it to the sheriff's office. I don't get good mileage either, so every 2 or 3 days that's another 20 minutes at the gas station. We're also doing "overtime" at school to make up the missed hours for memorial day. So if I don't eat or shower when I get home, I'll be in bed around 01, and get up at 0530-45.

While it may be inappropriate, you can still bring your kids to the sheriff's office, because they are well disciplined (if you can't control your kids, you shouldn't be carrying).

ETA: notwen, thanks for the extra link.
Link Posted: 6/4/2017 7:38:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Our CHL needs to be a CWL. Our laws have been thankfully changing for the better lately, but more work needs to be done.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#15]
thanks for posting.

...gives more vigor to wanting to "whittle" away the stupid ambiguous knife laws in the first place, ..and getting a "preemption" for knives...
Link Posted: 8/3/2017 7:12:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Good info.  
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top