Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 5/6/2017 8:12:42 PM EDT
Is it legal for me in ohio [color=rgb(0, 0, 0)][/color]to sell a long gun private sale in person to a Texas resident?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:19:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Short answer,, yes...  take the money, and ship the firearm to his local FFL for transfer in Texas. Thar be safest way to do it

I sold a pistol,, had a local FFL ship  to his FFL,  out of my hands one it left.. My wallet was a but fatter with what I sold pistol for

EDIT,, read question a bit too fast,, I assume you asking about "Cash & Carry" ?   You could refer to ATF site about long gun sale..
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:21:44 PM EDT
[#2]
He wants to pick it up tomorrow from me but he is a Texas resident. Im thinking there is a rule against this?
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#3]
To sell to an individual that does not reside in Ohio the firearm will have to be transferred through an FFL. Meet the buyer at an FFL, your future will be better off for it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:28:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Short answer,, yes...  take the money, and ship the firearm to his local FFL for transfer in Texas. Thar be safest way to do it

I sold a pistol,, had a local FFL ship  to his FFL,  out of my hands one it left.. My wallet was a but fatter with what I sold pistol for

EDIT,, read question a bit too fast,, I assume you asking about "Cash & Carry" ?   You could refer to ATF site about long gun sale..
View Quote
Ya im reading this right now. Looks like this guy is in for heartbreak. Seems that he must do the deal though a ffl of his state. Too bad.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 8:31:47 PM EDT
[#5]
ATF sales

Take his money, and arrange for shipping to his local Texas FFL
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 10:19:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Unless there is a state law in TX that prohibits it, he could purchase it through a FFL in OH.

You both could go to a local FFL and work out a consignment sale.

Or as has been mentioned, he can purchase it from you and you can ship it to a TX FFL where he can get it transfered.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 1:08:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Handgun person to person - only if resident of same state.
Long gun person to person of same or neighboring border state to Ohio.
Out of state buyer must have it sent to an ffl for them in that state.
They must meet age and other requirments in both Ohio and Texas,
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 1:45:34 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Handgun person to person - only if resident of same state.
Long gun person to person of same or neighboring border state to Ohio.
Out of state buyer must have it sent to an ffl for them in that state.
They must meet age and other requirments in both Ohio and Texas,
View Quote
Correct me if I am wrong but,

the contiguous state law that was in the GCA of 1968 was repealed in a 1986 amendment. Now, residents in most states can purchase rifles and shotguns from FFLs in most other states, not just those touching each other.

And I believe OH just changed this in the state law for us as well in the last few years.

Everything I have found says handguns must go through ffl in buyer's state of residence, longguns can go through ffl in state of purchase or state of residence as long as there are no state laws to the contrary in either state.
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 3:11:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 7:06:53 PM EDT
[#10]
Well thanks for the advice everyone. I did not go through the deal and the guy got super pissed and let me know it, but like it or not legal is legal.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:05:59 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Well thanks for the advice everyone. I did not go through the deal and the guy got super pissed and let me know it, but like it or not legal is legal.
View Quote
Screw him. He outta know better and he REALLY should understand why you don't want to break the law.

I bought an AR at a Michigan gun show once, from a FFL. He swore up and down that he couldn't sell it to me and ended up asking three other FFLs before going forward with the transaction. He still told me I'd be hearing from him, if the ATF jumped his ass over it. I told him, under those circumstances, I'd be more than willing to bring it back up to him.

Never did get that call. I knew better than to try to buy anything from a private party.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top