Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 5/2/2017 6:15:48 AM EDT
Around 9 years ago i had to take my dog to the vet because he had broken his leg. The vet keep him drugged and in a cage for 2 days while not do anything. I kept calling and asking about him, and then they finally told me to come and pick him up and that they were refusing to treat him because they said i was harrassing them about treating his broken leg. So i went and picked him up and found somewhere else to take him. Turns out his leg was in 3 pieces and needed to get a plate and pins put in to fix him up. I never received a bill from them and never heard anything about it till last year which would have been 8 years after the incident. That time it was a letter from a lawyer trying to collect for them. We called the lawyer amd explained everything and told him how we never got a bill and was never sent to collections or anything. He said he was going to look into and call them back. Since then we havent heard or gotten anything else till yesterday, in which the vet sent a payment plan fer the amount they want me to pay. Still with no detailed bill. I know the statute of limitations says after 6 years they cant do much. I never made a payment to them since i never got a bill. Should i tell them to go pound salt? Can they legally do anything since its been such a long time?
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd tell them to pound sand.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 8:27:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd tell them to pound sand.
View Quote
This.

If it was 8 months it might have just been a screw up in their billing system that got passed by in error and they were trying to correct it, but 8 YEARS? Nope.

I'm willing to bet they sent the lawyer letter to try to scare you into paying. Any court would throw this out after all this time especially if they hadn't attempt to bill you or collect a payment in all that time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 2:43:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Don't pay them legally they would spend more going after it then it's worth. They are obviously in trouble. They must be desperate to try to bill you now after all that time.
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 11:30:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Honestly, is bout you even spoke to a lawyer. You spoke to a debt collector that will say anything to try and get some cash for a debt they paid pennies on the dollar for.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#5]
I am not a lawyer but the way I understand it is that the statute of limitations for collecting a debt will start all over again if you make any sort of payment.  
Since you are already passed that statute, I wouldn't even give them the time of day.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 10:20:48 AM EDT
[#6]
They send a bill ever. It was more of a payment plan to pay off what they say i owe. I had read that too, about that if i were to make a payment. I migjt just call up a consumers lawyer and ask what they thibk about the whole situation. It never once went to collections that i am aware of. Also, i would think that they should have some sort of record of the bill if they actually did send one. By the way this is the northview animal hospital in north ridgeville incase anyone lives in that area and is considering taking their oet there.
Link Posted: 5/8/2017 11:41:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm NO lawyer!!! This is not legal advice!!!
IMHO! You should never have talked to them!
Note exactly sure, something about reactive their clam, maybe!
(2) In 8 years! Did the business changed hands?
Years back, a company/business would be sold!
The new owner would, re-bill old customer!
Even if the company had a paid in full receipt!
Why? They send out 10000 (so call un-paid bills) to old customers!
At $100 per bill!  Only 500 just pay, because they do not know if the owe
it or not! They just made $50,000!
So if your still concerned! Refuse to pay with out a detailed bill!
Saying exactly when this took place! And what they treated your dog for!
What they did to relieve the suffering of your dog!!
If you would go to court, the vet that did help your dog!
Should be able to show they did nothing!!!
I know long winded! Just to say tell them to pound salt!!!
Let the hive know what happens!!! Good luck!!!

PITA45
Link Posted: 5/9/2017 9:20:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, i never did talk to the vet themselves. They had a laywer of some sorts send out a letter amd we just told the lawyer that this happened years ago and we were never billed fer it. I dont think they changed names at all or anything like that, but i am not sure. Its all just a crock of you as me. I am pretty sure i still might have the xrays from his leg, showing how its broke in three pieces. I am sure that would help if it does get to court.
Link Posted: 5/10/2017 8:39:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Do what you think is best!
But this was done to my parents 50 years ago!
And to my wife a few years back! Had her maiden name
on the bill! That bill was like 20 years old!
Hope everything works out for you!

PITA45
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top