Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 3/27/2017 9:17:55 PM EDT
I have a CCW and back when I took my class, the instructor said I could carry my firearm however I chose to in my vehicle. If I wanted to hang it from a chain on my mirror, I could.(exaggerating) My question is I cannot find any verbiage about the legality of vehicle mount holsters in Ohio on the AG website. Do any of you happen to know any details? (I am waiting for a response from the AG office, sent an email earlier)

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/27/2017 11:44:30 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as I know, this is no problem.

Curious to see if anyone disagrees.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:49:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Correct. It can be carried any way the CHL holder sees fit. AG urges people to not allow unauthoized people access to the firearm. But no specifics on how it is to be carried.

I will say this. If the gun is not on your person, you are allowing too many variables to any given situation. The dash mounted holsters and what not are for Hollywood.
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Correct. It can be carried any way the CHL holder sees fit. AG urges people to not allow unauthoized people access to the firearm. But no specifics on how it is to be carried.

I will say this. If the gun is not on your person, you are allowing too many variables to any given situation. The dash mounted holsters and what not are for Hollywood.
View Quote
+1 keep the thing either locked as stated in the law. or holstered on you.. to much bravado bull shit with this.. get pulled over by a cop and they see it I bet you will be face to face with a service weapon..
Link Posted: 3/28/2017 5:43:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks! I do a lot of driving, and having my firearm holstered at 4oclock gets a little uncomfortable. I was looking at the Alien gear cloak dock system which holds the holster (attached to the lower console) and your firearm does not leave the holster while transferring it between the dock and my belt. Oh and I still haven't heard back from the AG office.
Link Posted: 3/29/2017 7:44:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Uncomfortable, yes.  Accessible, hardly.  For those of us with  lengthy daily commutes, "Vehicle Carry" warrants alternative means of "holstering".  

If your body type does not afford appendix carry, off body is probably your best option.  It gets complicated quickly when you may be traveling with others who do not have a CHL.  Even more so if they are not like minded.    Additionally, if you frequently exit the vehicle, like stopping for gas or coffee, don't become complacent with the firearm.  Lock it up or take it with you, every time.  If it is your only weapon, as in your EDC, you run an exponentially increased risk handling said loaded weapon.  In and out of your on body holster several times a day quickly increases your chances of an ND.  Solution, two, keep one on your person, the other dedicated as "vehicle carry".  If you think a second firearm is pricey, consider the consequences of an ND.

Again, lock it up.  Please don't give a smash n grab thug a loaded weapon.

FWIW, aside from the first year or two Ohio issued CHL's, every interaction with LEO has been entirely uneventful after promptly informing of my CHL and possession of a weapon.

Your mileage may vary.
Link Posted: 3/30/2017 9:16:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Make a pocket out of foam for the left map pocket and drape a defroster towel over it.
Make a spot for the spare mag too.

ETA: that is for the cheap back up gun.
Link Posted: 3/31/2017 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I used a gun magnet in the center console in my old car.  I didn't install it in my new car.  I have a glove box in the center of the dashboard and keep a S&W Shield in that box with the car locked whenever I'm not in it and the car has an alarm.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 10:57:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks! I do a lot of driving, and having my firearm holstered at 4oclock gets a little uncomfortable. I was looking at the Alien gear cloak dock system which holds the holster (attached to the lower console) and your firearm does not leave the holster while transferring it between the dock and my belt. Oh and I still haven't heard back from the AG office.
View Quote
I drive a lot for work. My mileage is usually in the neighborhood of 2k-2.5k miles per month. I have found that I was just never comfortable with handling the firearm so much when stopping for gas, coffee, etc. like AFcarbon15 said you can NEVER leave it unattended and you really don't realize how much you are in and out of the car until you start doing this. The other problem for me was bumping into work contacts in parking lots when pulling in. If they walk over to have a friendly chat it really limits your ability to secure the firearm.

As as far as comfort goes I would reccomend trying to slide the holster as close to 3:00 as you can when you are going to be in the car.  I wound up purchasing a SW 638 as a compromise years ago. It rides in your pocket so the comfort issue is non existent and if I run into someone I know and I can't access the safe without them seeing it can stay in my pocket undetected until I realize that "I have to run back to the car to grab my phone or something... " 
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 8:46:35 PM EDT
[#9]
No restrictions. A loaded gun inside a vehicle is considered concealed.
Link Posted: 4/1/2017 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#10]
I carry an Armadillo X-Fer appendix and am 5"11 235lbs with 18% body fat. I drive 250 miles per day. If I can do it, you can too.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top