Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 11/29/2016 5:32:36 PM EDT
The Kahiki was the mothership of Polynesian-themed restaurants back in the 60's and they were open over three decades.

Have you ever been? I did back around '66. Birthday, probably. Drove past the place for years. Imposing structure (war canoe) with those trippy flaming Moai statues out front.

http://www.columbusunderground.com/history-lesson-the-history-of-columbus-most-famed-lost-restaurant-the-kahiki

WAY before Hooters, Twin Peaks, or The Tilted Kilt:

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 6:51:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Wow, what a cool looking place and a great story.  I'm sad to say I never visited the place, but then again I'm not from Columbus...
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 12:57:19 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wow, what a cool looking place and a great story.  I'm sad to say I never visited the place, but then again I'm not from Columbus...
View Quote

There are a couple of YouTube videos taken a couple of years before they closed.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 6:54:49 AM EDT
[#3]
I vaguely remember going there in the mid-late 80s. I was probably 5-6 years old. A buddy of mine owned an import tuner shop in the same complex where Kahiki moved to make frozen meals, near the airport, in the early 2000s.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#4]
We'd go on occasion when I was growing up. I feel like the Fox 28 kids club used to send you some coupons for the place on your birthday. Actually went to dinner there for prom in 1998. That was the last time I was there. Sad to see it gone.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:22:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
We'd go on occasion when I was growing up. I feel like the Fox 28 kids club used to send you some coupons for the place on your birthday. Actually went to dinner there for prom in 1998. That was the last time I was there. Sad to see it gone.
View Quote

That's probably why I went -- coupons for a free smoking drink. I remember going for my birthday.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 4:18:02 PM EDT
[#6]
https://mcphee.com/products/tiki-village-oil-painting

Gee, I wonder where the artist got his inspiration?
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#7]
If you are into the tiki-lounge thing this place in Cleveland is pretty cool: Porco Lounge & Tiki Room (website could use some work) They aren't of the size or scope of what The Kahiki Club looks to have been but they are doing things well.  They have a lot of memorabilia from famous tiki-lounges of the past and a lot of classic drink recipes along with new ones of their own.  Smoking, glowing, or flaming drinks are common.  The only problem is that they are absolutely packed most of the time.
Link Posted: 11/30/2016 11:45:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Ate there a ton of times, their Wor Su Gai was awesome. Last time I was there I ran into Jack Hannah having a birthday party for his daughter..probably 86 or so?

I still have a bunch of the tiki glasses from mixed drinks....I keep my painting brushes in them.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:09:18 AM EDT
[#9]
Went a few times. Always fun.

Remember the "windows" along walls, with painted ocean scenes in them?  And the fake lightning and thunder effect in those windows?

There were also aquarium "windows", and a couple parrots in cages.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 2:53:31 PM EDT
[#10]
my aunt was a partner in that place, god memories as a kid.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:34:16 PM EDT
[#11]
We lived close by in the early '70s.  I remember the building, but never got to go inside.
Link Posted: 12/1/2016 10:35:17 PM EDT
[#12]
double tap.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Ate there a ton of times, their Wor Su Gai was awesome. Last time I was there I ran into Jack Hannah having a birthday party for his daughter..probably 86 or so?

I still have a bunch of the tiki glasses from mixed drinks....I keep my painting brushes in them.
View Quote

Wor su gai WAS good!
I also have a couple of the tiki glasses in my fish tank and a skull mug I still drink coffee out of occasionally. I heard talk of the one of the original owners kids possibly opening something with their recipes but I don't think anything ever came of it. Too bad.. the frozen shit doesn't do it justice.
Link Posted: 12/22/2016 10:56:46 PM EDT
[#14]
I worked near there and went to lunch a several times with coworkers, the sound effects were fun.  I really don't remember
the food all that much; I still have a matchbook from there.  The building was really impressive.  By the time I was going
there in the 1980s the waitresses weren't hot.
Link Posted: 12/30/2016 2:55:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I moved to Columbus in 1992 when I got a job at DCSC (now DSCC).  I went there for lunch a few times.  The food was wasn't spectacular, but the place was pretty awesome.  Would loved to have seen it in its heyday.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 3:32:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Was there a number of times. Food was decent. Loved the fish tanks that literally surrounded the dining room (as I recall).

Too bad.
Link Posted: 1/1/2017 9:02:16 PM EDT
[#17]
looking for some pics of the interior jogged my memory of the cups....

Link Posted: 1/29/2017 8:05:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Was there a number of times. Food was decent. Loved the fish tanks that literally surrounded the dining room (as I recall).

Too bad.
View Quote

Yep I went in the 70's was about 11 or 12.. I remember the fish tanks as well..
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 5:58:58 PM EDT
[#19]
I remember going in the 70's as a kid. I went again when they were about to close.

The neighborhood it was in was not going to keep it in business.
Link Posted: 2/25/2017 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I remember going in the 70's as a kid. I went again when they were about to close.

The neighborhood it was in was not going to keep it in business.
View Quote

Yeah, that area of Columbus/Whitehall started to take a serious turn South during the 80's.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top