Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2016 1:33:21 PM EDT
Good news out of the AG's office today....

http://content.govdelivery.com/bulletins/gd/OHAG-14b653d

corrected title.  Thanks
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 1:55:04 PM EDT
[#1]
Great news!

However, your title is a bit off, I think. A 4473 will always be required to document the transfer from the FFL to the buyer. It's the NICS that will no longer be required.

Edit: OP changed the title, so the bolded text no longer applies

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:13:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Great news!

However, your title is a bit off, I think. A 4473 will always be required to document the transfer from the FFL to the buyer. It's the NICS that will no longer be required.
View Quote

About time!

Seriously...
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:18:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Nice, I bet a 4473 is still needed as stated. This will however speed up the process on crazy sales days. Like sportsmens den in Shelby they can have a backlog of gun buys that slow the buy down so much. I've had to wait over 90 minutes to get out of the store. I am not madd about it. I just love that I can use my license to skip that step. Fill out the 4473 and walk up to the cash register oh yea.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:22:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Great news, but why this??

"..provided the Ohio concealed handgun license was issued on or after March 23, 2015.."

So, because my CHL was issued in 2013 when I renewed, I still have to pass a NICS check?

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 2:35:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

"..provided the Ohio concealed handgun license was issued on or after March 23, 2015.."

So, because my CHL was issued in 2013 when I renewed, I still have to pass a NICS check?

View Quote

I'm betting it's something like how they file it from that point or the requirements to have conceal permit. I hope that the ffl will know whats necessary on their point. I bet many ffl will do the background regardless to protect themselves.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:32:03 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I'm betting it's something like how they file it from that point or the requirements to have conceal permit. I hope that the ffl will know whats necessary on their point. I bet many ffl will do the background regardless to protect themselves.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, as a FFL, I too would like to know the answer. I'm curious as to whether or not the ATF will send out emails or mailings to FFLs about the change, with instructions on how to handle transfers.

ETA: here is the official letter from the ATF:

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/open-letter/ohio-may2016-open-letter-ohios-concealed-handgun-license-qualifies/download

Answer:

"Verify that the concealed handgun license was issued pursuant to the Ohio Revised Code sections 2923.125 on or after March 23, 2015, and within the past 5 years by the State in which the transfer is to occur, and that the license has not expired under State law. "

That that tells me, any valid CHL is good to go. IANAL.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:33:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm guessing it has to do with the changes in the concealed carry permit process that took effect on that day.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/what-hb-234-means-you-part-i-nics-compliant-background-checks
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:39:01 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I'm guessing it has to do with the changes in the concealed carry permit process that took effect on that day.

http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/what-hb-234-means-you-part-i-nics-compliant-background-checks
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

See my post above. The ATF letter notes: "and within the past 5 years by the State in which the transfer is to occur, and that the license has not expired understate law."

So, that tells me March 23, 2015, and 5 years prior. Which, would cover any licenses that needed to be renewed, or rather that any valid license is good to go.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:51:54 PM EDT
[#10]

After March 23, 2015, Ohio Sheriffs will check the same three databases
as NICS. Unlike the FFL, the sheriff will see the record (or lack of
one) of the person in question. The sheriff will make the determination
if the record disqualifies the applicant for a CHL under Ohio law.
Again, the federal government has no say; just your local sheriff. If a
person meets the requirements, the sheriff "shall issue” that person a
CHL.
View Quote

From:  http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/what-hb-234-means-you-part-i-nics-compliant-background-checks

This seems to suggest that currently the background checks that Sheriff's Depts are running for CHLs are not tied to the NICS system and that after that date they will be.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:54:35 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

From:  http://www.buckeyefirearms.org/what-hb-234-means-you-part-i-nics-compliant-background-checks

This seems to suggest that currently the background checks that Sheriff's Depts are running for CHLs are not tied to the NICS system and that after that date they will be.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

After March 23, 2015, Ohio Sheriffs will check the same three databases as NICS. Unlike the FFL, the sheriff will see the record (or lack of one) of the person in question. The sheriff will make the determination if the record disqualifies the applicant for a CHL under Ohio law. Again, the federal government has no say; just your local sheriff. If a person meets the requirements, the sheriff "shall issue” that person a CHL.

But what about the "and within the past 5 years" bit??

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 3:57:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

After March 23, 2015, Ohio Sheriffs will check the same three databases as NICS. Unlike the FFL, the sheriff will see the record (or lack of one) of the person in question. The sheriff will make the determination if the record disqualifies the applicant for a CHL under Ohio law. Again, the federal government has no say; just your local sheriff. If a person meets the requirements, the sheriff "shall issue” that person a CHL.

I think that just means that they need to ensure that the license is not expired, i.e. issued more than 5 years ago.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:00:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

"After March 23, 2015, and within the last five years."  

That's an inclusive "and."

A CHL issued on March 21, 2015 was issued within the last five years, but it wasn't issued after March 23, 2015, so it would not qualify.

ETA: What Davey said.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:00:38 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I think that just means that they need to ensure that the license is not expired, i.e. issued more than 5 years ago.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's not how I read it.

That tells me any valid CHL, since they are only good for 5 years at a time.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:15:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

A CHL issued on March 21, 2015 was issued within the last five years, but it wasn't issued after March 23, 2015, so it would not qualify.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I disagree. However, IANAL.

The way I read it, those with licenses issued on March 23, 2015, and within the last 5 years can forgo the NICS check.

I'll probably have to call the ATF to get this sorted out. That way I know how to proceed with future transfers.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:30:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The way I read it, those with licenses issued on March 23, 2015, and within the last 5 years can forgo the NICS check.

I'll probably have to call the ATF to get this sorted out. That way I know how to proceed with future transfers.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1. Was your CHL issued within the last five years?

2. Was your CHL issued after March 23, 2015?

If you answered "no" to either, you must undergo the NICS check.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 4:32:47 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Then how do you reconcile what's stated in the paragraph above the part you quote on that same document:

"Please be advised that only licenses issued pursuant to Ohio Revised Code Section 2923.125 on or after March 23, 2015, qualify as alternatives to the background check. If an unlicensed person presents a concealed handgun license issued prior to March 23, 2015, the FFL must conduct a background check prior to transferring the firearm."

As stated above, in legal terms, the word "and" is inclusive of what is state before and after it.  Both conditions must be met: issued after Mar 23, 2015 and within the last 5 years.
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:03:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
  Then how do you reconcile what's stated in the paragraph above the part you quote on that same document:
"Please be advised that only licenses issued pursuant to Ohio Revised Code Section 2923.125 on or after March 23, 2015, qualify as alternatives to the background check. If an unlicensed person presents a concealed handgun license issued prior to March 23, 2015, the FFL must conduct a background check prior to transferring the firearm."

As stated above, in legal terms, the word "and" is inclusive of what is state before and after it.  Both conditions must be met: issued after Mar 23, 2015 and within the last 5 years.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the clarification. I was wrong.

Buckeye Firearms answered my question and quoted the same text.

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 7:41:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Well shit I guess I'm still gonna have to wait. Oh well
Link Posted: 5/25/2016 8:59:55 PM EDT
[#21]
If your CHL was issued on March 23, 2015, or after, you do not need further NICS checks.

If issued prior, you will still need to get a NICS check.

The portion regarding the last five years, is referring to March 23,2015 to March 22, 2020. For instance, today is 5/25/2016. That is still within 5 years of March 23, 2015. This letter may be referenced three years from now, and that is what it's referring to.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 6:36:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote
Yep. I renewed 2/2/15. Awesome
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:43:24 AM EDT
[#23]
This is cool.  

I happened to renew in April 2015, my procrastination paid off.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:29:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Renewed 04/11/13
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:30:29 AM EDT
[#25]
When does this take effect?  I want to go buy a lower receiver just to try it out.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 8:46:02 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, this is why you no longer need to have a NICS check after your license was issued on 3/25/2015 or later as this was when Ohio went to an NICS check for all CHL holders, before it was am FBI/BCI background check, which in Ohio you could not own a firearm but get a CHL with this type of BG check so now they have made it so that if you can own a firearm, you can carry a firearm, which to me makes sense.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:02:01 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Yes, this is why you no longer need to have a NICS check after your license was issued on 3/25/2015 or later as this was when Ohio went to an NICS check for all CHL holders, before it was am FBI/BCI background check, which in Ohio you could not own a firearm but get a CHL with this type of BG check so now they have made it so that if you can own a firearm, you can carry a firearm, which to me makes sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ahh, good point and that makes.

I remember when I originally got my Ohio CHL. I have to pay extra for the nation wide search since I had lived outside of the state in the last 5 years. Cost me $80, IIRC.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:19:34 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

When does this take effect?  I want to go buy a lower receiver just to try it out.
View Quote

It sounds like it might already be in effect.

"On March 23, 2015 several changes to Ohio law that are of particular significance to Ohio gun owners will take effect. This article will look at improvements in the background check process to obtain an Ohio concealed handgun license (CHL)."

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:22:57 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

1. Was your CHL issued within the last five years?

2. Was your CHL issued after March 23, 2015?

If you answered "no" to either, you must undergo the NICS check.
View Quote

This future-proofs things, so that in 2021, Question #1 will be the determining factor

#2 is just related to when Ohio switched to an acceptable background check (to the ATF) that would allow us to skip NICS.

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 9:39:01 AM EDT
[#30]
March 23 2015

Link Posted: 5/26/2016 10:26:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote

The gun stores won't know what's going on for years. I was at AimHi in New Albany last week, and as the clerk was checking my ammo for steel, he said it's illegal for me to have rifle magazines loaded in the vehicle, and it's considered a loaded weapon.

I told him I came to the range to shoot, not load mags, and left it at that.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#32]
This is great news and will definitely make life easier once dealers educate themselves on the new requirements.
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 5:38:07 PM EDT
[#33]
So future renewals will be gtg then?
Link Posted: 5/26/2016 7:06:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes.    
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Well this is great news, but I'm kinda screwed. I got my CCW in August of 2012 so it's good until Aug 2017. My county won't renew it until 90 prior. Normally it's not a big deal, but almost every time I buy a gun my FFL gets transferred to a higher approving official which can take 20 mins.

Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:27:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Well this is great news, but I'm kinda screwed. I got my CCW in August of 2012 so it's good until Aug 2017. My county won't renew it until 90 prior. Normally it's not a big deal, but almost every time I buy a gun my FFL gets transferred to a higher approving official which can take 20 mins.

View Quote

If you're buying so many guns, and it being an issue, I believe you can request a UPIN from the FBI. It's not guaranteed to be faster, but it might help.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 3:28:49 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This is great news and will definitely make life easier once dealers educate themselves on the new requirements.
View Quote

AimHi/NASR already sent out an email this morning acknowledging the recent law change. But that doesn't mean the sales personnel are aware of it.
Link Posted: 5/27/2016 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yes.    
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes.    

Thanks.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 12:29:06 AM EDT
[#39]
Black Wing used my CHL license when I picked up my suppressor today.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 8:23:22 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:04:24 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
You don't use your SSN on the form I'm guessing?

-- Chuck
View All Quotes
Quoted:
my FFL gets transferred to a higher approving official which can take 20 mins.

-- Chuck

I use my SSN while filling out the form. It's just an annoyance for me because one time my FFL was on hold for 45 min. I already have to drive 30 min to get there.
Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:09:34 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
I use my SSN while filling out the form. It's just an annoyance for me because one time my FFL was on hold for 45 min. I already have to drive 30 min to get there.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

my FFL gets transferred to a higher approving official which can take 20 mins.

-- Chuck

Tell your FFL to use E-Check. It's fast, sometimes it takes less than 2 minutes to get a response.

Link Posted: 5/28/2016 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Old news and this is important: provided the Ohio concealed handgun license was issued on or after March 23, 2015, and that the permit has not expired under state law or been revoked.

That date also applies to reciprocity is some states.  Wisconsin will not accept my Ohio CHL since it was before this date but they'll accept my New Hampshire non-resident pistol permit issued long before,

-- Chuck
View Quote

A few days old, yeah
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 8:26:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The gun stores won't know what's going on for years. I was at AimHi in New Albany last week, and as the clerk was checking my ammo for steel, he said it's illegal for me to have rifle magazines loaded in the vehicle, and it's considered a loaded weapon.

I told him I came to the range to shoot, not load mags, and left it at that.
View Quote

The problem you experienced is due to that employee who isn't current on the law; none of the AimHi employees ever said that to me.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top