Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/15/2016 11:29:28 PM EDT
Do to unforeseen events, it looks like I may be relocating to the Columbus area for work.  I've been looking to rent an apartment and the Grove City area seems to have decent places for a reasonable amount.  What can you tell me about the area?  Know of any good apartment complexes on the west side of Columbus?  I'll be driving to the Hilliard area for work so hopefully I'm avoiding any major traffic areas.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:53:57 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Do to unforeseen events, it looks like I may be relocating to the Columbus area for work.  I've been looking to rent an apartment and the Grove City area seems to have decent places for a reasonable amount.  What can you tell me about the area?  Know of any good apartment complexes on the west side of Columbus?  I'll be driving to the Hilliard area for work so hopefully I'm avoiding any major traffic areas.
View Quote

Ha!  All of Columbus is a major traffic area.  

Why not look for a place in Hilliard?  Sure, it's kind of boring, but so is Grove City.

What's your price range, and what would you consider to be a good apartment complex?

Link Posted: 4/16/2016 10:16:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Unless you have a compelling reason to live in grove city, you're probably better off closer to work in Hilliard. At this point there's no such thing as easy traffic around Columbus unless you work weird hours so may as well be close to work, especially for apartment living.

Hilliard is a fine area, while I'm sure there can be exceptions I'd suggest staying outside of I-270 and north of I-70. The further north you go the more expensive it gets.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:25:18 PM EDT
[#3]
I would not live in Grove City if your job is in Hilliard. I'm on that side of town every morning, and it's always a jam.

Just get a place in Hilliard.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:38:40 PM EDT
[#4]
At first I was looking at buying a house and the Hilliard area didn't seem as nice, never even thought to check out apartments there.  I'd be willing to go up to $900/month but would prefer closer to $700. As long as it's clean and quiet I'll be happy.  Don't plan on being there much longer than a year before I buy.  Thanks for the tips so far.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:51:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I would just live in Hilliard, if you're working there.  But make sure it's a decent area.  There's a large difference between Scioto Darby & Cosgray Hilliard and Hilliard Rome/Roberts area Hilliard.

There's also some nice new places around Tuttle Mall, and you could just shoot down Cosgray or Avery to work
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 12:58:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would just live in Hilliard, if you're working there.  But make sure it's a decent area.  There's a large difference between Scioto Darby & Cosgray Hilliard and Hilliard Rome/Roberts area Hilliard.

There's also some nice new places around Tuttle Mall, and you could just shoot down Cosgray or Avery to work
View Quote

Which area should I avoid?
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 1:08:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They're both decent, and a better choice than a ton of other areas in town. But generally, the further south you go on Hilliard Rome it gets "worse."  Areas around Hilliard Davidson high school and uptown Hilliard are very nice. Again, the Hilliard Rome and Roberts road area is nice when compared to a lot of other options, but not as nice as other areas of actual Hilliard. A buddy of mine lives near the Dairy Queen in Hilliard, nice area.

There are some places down near Hilliard Rome and renner road that I believe have Hilliard addresses but are actually in Columbus. So your kids may go to Hilliard schools but you would pay Columbus taxes
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 2:58:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If are a Muslim you may be interested in the Noor Islamic Cultural Center, and the surrounding Islamic community, just west of Tuttle Mall.  
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 4:26:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Marysville  my brother lived a complex right off 33 by the Lambo dealer.

He also lived in a place off Rome Hillard rd right off I70
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:57:51 PM EDT
[#10]
The Hilliard area apartments have a very high percentage of Muslim population comma FYI. I think I read somewhere that Hilliard is very high on the list of cities based upon per capita Muslim population.
Link Posted: 4/16/2016 9:59:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I lived in the place just south of 70 and just west of Rome Hilliard Road for six months after selling my first house before buying my second period it's an OK place, and the rent is reasonable. I don't know what it's now, as that was 10 years ago.

I would second Marysville as an option. I would also consider London or West Jefferson. Take a look at Plain City also. It is a very nice area, I know housing is a little more expensive there.  That's usually a good thing, by the way. Neighbors who work to pay for housing, tend to be better neighbors.
All of those have easy access to Hilliard. I live west of London, and travel to the east side of Columbus every day. Traffic is very smooth going through town on 670.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:57:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Definitely get a feel of the area before you jump into owning a home. Lots of cases in Columbus where one block is nice and the next isn't.

$700 a month rent may be hard to find. Columbus isn't cheap to live in any more.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 11:19:25 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

$700 a month rent may be hard to find. Columbus isn't cheap to live in any more.

View Quote
Go to the cities west of Columbus, it drops quickly.  But, then again, so do your choices.  Also think about fuel.  Maybe you can get a place for $150 less, but you'll drive an extra 40 miles per day, so 25  gallons of gas x $2.00 + 45 extra minutes of your time driving, may make it seem more reasonable to live where you want.

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:33:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I would try to stay in Hilliard, save you on gas and traffic hassles, might have to up your budget a bit, My Son just moved out and is paying 6 something a month for a 1 bedroom and its actually a little south of Hilliard.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 1:32:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I appreciate all the responses. I guess I should have put in the original post that I'll be moving up alone so a 1 bedroom is all that's needed. The Marysville area looks pretty nice, thanks for the suggestion.  Any opinion on the London area?  Google is saying it should only be a 35-40 minute drive, does that sound about right?  Most likely to be traveling between 6 and 7 am.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I appreciate all the responses. I guess I should have put in the original post that I'll be moving up alone so a 1 bedroom is all that's needed. The Marysville area looks pretty nice, thanks for the suggestion.  Any opinion on the London area?  Google is saying it should only be a 35-40 minute drive, does that sound about right?  Most likely to be traveling between 6 and 7 am.
View Quote

That is not a great drive even at 6 or 7 am. It's quite a hike and the interchange to get to Hilliard really sucks.

There are lots of places that are technically in Columbus but received some Hilliard services. Somewhere in there or actually in Hilliard is probably your best choice.

Grovesippi is a poor choice to get into Hilliard, I'm glad people are telling you no on that.

If you're looking at 1-bedroom apartments you should look in Hilliard, Columbus, Worthington, or even south Dublin.

Heck, even a place in Grandview could work out for you. If you're thinking about how much rent would be, consider living closer and adding saved fuel cost into your rent allowance. Make sure you also use a bunch of different websites to look for places as there's not really one great place to find rentals in Central Ohio. I can say that I found my last 2 places there, in the Harrison West neighborhood, through Craigslist.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 8:21:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I drive from the next town west of London (South Charleston), and travel to the east side of Columbus (Gahanna).
 From South Charleston to 270 at Hilliard is 30 minutes.  Your trip should be 20-ish.

Where in Hilliard are you talking about?

ETA: Grandview is a nice little liberal college town.  If you are young, you might enjoy the girls..

Link Posted: 4/17/2016 9:42:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I drive from the next town west of London (South Charleston), and travel to the east side of Columbus (Gahanna).  From South Charleston to 270 at Hilliard is 30 minutes.  Your trip should be 20-ish.

ETA: Grandview is a nice little liberal college town.  If you are young, you might enjoy the girls..

View Quote

Ball Corporation.  Just north of Roberts road off of charter street
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I drive from the next town west of London (South Charleston), and travel to the east side of Columbus (Gahanna).  From South Charleston to 270 at Hilliard is 30 minutes.  Your trip should be 20-ish.

nice easy commute from London area.  I am near the Madiron/Clark county line near I70 and at your drive time would expect 30 minutes to work, well worth it to live with my shooting range out back.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:05:01 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

The highways around there are a complete mess right now with construction fyi
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:26:13 AM EDT
[#21]
Whats your budget?  How big a place do you need? Anyone coming with you? Pets?  Would you rather live in a complex or a townhouse type situation?  Like being close to civilization or seclusion?
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 3:32:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Whats your budget?  How big a place do you need? Anyone coming with you? Pets?  Would you rather live in a complex or a townhouse type situation?  Like being close to civilization or seclusion?
View Quote

These are great questions, don't know why I didn't list this all out from the get go. I could go up to $900/month. I don't need much room, place to cook and eat, place to relax and a bedroom, thinking 500ish sqft.  It'll just be me, no pets.  I'm trying to avoid going to an actual apartment complex. Civilization is nice, I like being close to stores (I'm horrible at making shopping lists). The thing that I've been really struggling to find is in unit laundry, either supplied appliance or just the hook ups.  I don't want to spend my free time sitting in a laundromat.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 4:07:47 PM EDT
[#23]
For $900 a month you could buy a house
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted: I don't want to spend my free time sitting in a laundromat.
View Quote
This is huge. I think people overlook the value of laundry within your own apartment.

FWIW, the apartments 1/4 mile south of 70, and west of Rome hilliard rd had washer dryer hookups.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 8:37:09 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

This is huge. I think people overlook the value of laundry within your own apartment.  

FWIW, the apartments 1/4 mile south of 70, and west of Rome hilliard rd had washer dryer hookups.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted: I don't want to spend my free time sitting in a laundromat.

A coworker of mine lived there years ago before he bought a condo. He seemed to like it. That place is probably the only exception I'd make to my rule of not living south of I-70 on the west end.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 10:44:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

These are great questions, don't know why I didn't list this all out from the get go. I could go up to $900/month. I don't need much room, place to cook and eat, place to relax and a bedroom, thinking 500ish sqft.  It'll just be me, no pets.  I'm trying to avoid going to an actual apartment complex. Civilization is nice, I like being close to stores (I'm horrible at making shopping lists). The thing that I've been really struggling to find is in unit laundry, either supplied appliance or just the hook ups.  I don't want to spend my free time sitting in a laundromat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Try Apartments.com, apartmentfinder.com or something similar, and you can filter based on amenities like W/D hook ups, etc. Like this.

There's plenty of apartments close enough to Ball Corp that you could ride a bike to work.  If I were you, I'd look to stay as close as possible to work unless you like spending an hour a day behind the wheel.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 12:13:30 PM EDT
[#27]
Tons of options with your needs/budget.  Id start looking close to Grandview or Upper Arlington if you want to be close to good restaurants and shopping, or just west of UA between 270 and the Scioto.  If you want to stay out of big complexes, you need to search craigslist(you'll still need to wade through the big complex listings that post 100x a day) or drive around.
Link Posted: 4/19/2016 6:48:51 PM EDT
[#28]
It's a tiny bit over your budget, but consider the LC @ Brooklands. It's apartments, but nice and mostly a young professional/single folks vibe. Nice restaurant bar on site, gym membership, pool, leagues, sports stuff, close to everything and comes with washer/dryer.

We live in the New Albany version, and we really like it. No riff raff, pretty solid folks to rent from.

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 7:18:19 PM EDT
[#29]
Hilliard is good, why not get a place there.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

View Quote
you mean Granville, not Grandview

Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Granville is really nice, I wish I would have bought a house there instead of Johnstown.

That being said, Granville is far away from Hilliard.
Link Posted: 4/20/2016 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Granville is really nice, I wish I would have bought a house there instead of Johnstown.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah, that's an hour and a half if you're driving rush hour times.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:03:39 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

heh heh.... you're right!  thanks.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 10:55:28 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grandview is a little liberal (near) college town too! And much closer to work.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You fuckers confused me... I was thinking of Grandview.... Grandview Heights that is, just north of 670, and just east of Hilliard.

Link Posted: 4/21/2016 2:23:49 PM EDT
[#36]
I will toss in another vote for west. I live near London right off I70. I work down town and drive time in the mornings is around 30 minutes. It can be a little longer in the afternoon depending on time. i lived in Hillard near Hlliard-Rome and Roberts. Hatred every minute of it. If you don't mind congestion it is fine. I prefer things a little more spread out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2016 3:21:04 PM EDT
[#37]
As a general rule I would stay away from the inner city (for obvious reasons).

Hilliard isn't a bad town...except that Hilliard Rome Rd is a parking lot during rush hour.

Stay out of Grove City. I went to the academy with one of their (current) Officers who firmly and fervently believed that the only people that should own guns were cops. You don't need that Juju.

Technically, Columbus still has an AWB on the books, although the state law has largely superceded that, and most CBUS cops are pretty pro-gun regardless (so long as you don't act stupid).

If you want to live near a mall, Polaris is the only one that I would consider, but like Hilliard Rome Rd, it's a parking lot during rush hour. Tuttle crossing is ok, but terrible traffic pattern. Eastland and Easton malls are starting to get overrun with hoodrats, avoid them.

Find out where the bus routes are, crime follows them.

If the drive isn't too far, Delaware is a nice town, and it's relatively affordable.

Stay away from campus, and avoid 315, 71 (inside the 270 belt) during rush hour. The 270 belt isn't too bad unless you're trying to exit to Dublin, which is a daily parking lot. Dublin is also a speed trap inside their jurisdiction on 270.

*ETA*

Good places to eat:
Thurman's (Huge, tasty burgers featured on Man V Food)
Hounddogs Pizza (with the Smokin Joe's crust, If you like Garlic that is)
Buckeye Donuts

Places to avoid:
Anything near campus (which would include Buckeye donuts I suppose). Traffic is shitty, bicyclists act like they own the fucking road, and violate the shit out of laws themselves, you have to fight for parking in the evening

Link Posted: 4/22/2016 8:35:30 AM EDT
[#38]
IMHO.  Look at Plain City or West Jeff.  Country but close to Hilliard and you will stay out of traffic
Link Posted: 4/22/2016 10:06:18 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

IMHO.  Look at Plain City or West Jeff.  Country but close to Hilliard and you will stay out of traffic
View Quote
As a plus, London Walmart is pretty good about carrying ammo (except .22) and guns.

Link Posted: 4/23/2016 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#40]
I haven't replied for a few days but I'm still following along and taking in all the advice and recommendations.  The move is still in the air at the moment.  The hiring would end up being an internal move. Miss only been 2 weeks since I applied and 1 week since the initial interview.  I'm starting to get a list of possible places together and most of my choices have units available in the timeframe I'm looking at. I've been looking as far away as London, Marysville and Deleware.  Thinking that would be about as far as I want to drive daily.  

I'm 3 hours away from the area so I'm going to try to coordinate tours with the in person interview.

Thanks for all the help!
Link Posted: 4/23/2016 3:40:14 PM EDT
[#41]
If you move, maybe you can come to our Wed night Tactical Handgun class, in Springfield.  It's only about 30 mins from your area(or less).
Link Posted: 4/24/2016 7:20:03 PM EDT
[#42]
Just South of Columbus is the Village of Ashville.  I'm around there some due to my work. It seems to be growing with people who work in Columbus but don't necessarily don't want to live there. Lots of subdivisions popping up around there.
Link Posted: 4/25/2016 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#43]
I am very familiar with the Grove City area, feel free to PM me with questions
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:52:23 AM EDT
[#44]
The Mill Run area is nice and close to your work.. Just not my cup of tea living in the city.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:11:18 PM EDT
[#45]
Well it's been a while since I posted here.  It's been a crazy couple weeks, I accepted the job on the 10th, moving to Hilliard tomorrow and start the new job on the 31st.  Thanks again for all the suggestions.
Link Posted: 5/23/2016 8:37:21 PM EDT
[#46]
congrats.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#47]
Congrats and welcome to the neighborhood!
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#48]
Welcome.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Welcome to CBUS!  Lots of good stores and entertaining things to do.

I recommend Easton as a great entertainment spot.

To me....The best gun shops are Vances and Cabela's.
Link Posted: 5/24/2016 8:21:02 PM EDT
[#50]
A longtime ohio arfcom tradition is the new guy buys the beer
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top