Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 4/15/2016 4:01:03 PM EDT
I need to put up a 40' tower to be able to get a signal for wireless internet.  (Insert long story about house being 1200' from road and country living sometimes has drawbacks)  I ordered a Rohn 25g freestanding tower and will be picking it up next week.  I then have to dig a big hole and put in a concrete base.  After that I can begin assembling the tower that is is 10' sections.  I have now realized that a gin pole would be very handy to complete this.  Does anyone here own a gin pole or know where I can rent or borrow one?  They ain't cheap!

If I can't find a gin pole I might just rent a hydraulic lift to get this done.

Any other advice or comments on how I will die installing this are appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#1]
having climbed my TV  antenna tower many times as a kid and, from working on ladders as an adult.

I would rent a boom lift to do the job. With a boom lift you can do the job by yourself, as the boom would be lifting. You would be on a platform not hanging on the tower with one hand and trying to work moving the section and trying to bolt it together with the other.

Renting a boom lift is only a couple hundred bucks for a weekend. What if you fell how much would that cost you?
Link Posted: 4/17/2016 12:36:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I might just rent the lift.  I need to clean and re-stain my house this year and a lift will help with the high sides.  Knock out 2 projects with 1 rental.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 8:09:33 AM EDT
[#3]
When my uncle built his, he installed a heavy duty hinge on the base. That way he could raise and lower the tower by himself.

Assemble on ground, then stand it up.

He also used a saw horse when he brought it down so he could make adjustments or repairs to the actual antenna.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:58:20 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a 54 ft to put up.  Dug the hole, have the parts, but haven't had the time or weather to get it done.  Plan on renting a lift, strap the section to the basket and have at it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2016 12:05:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Got it up yesterday!

Found a tree service guy near me with a bucket truck.  $80 for a little over an hour's worth of work.  Now gotta wait about 2 weeks for the internet company to come out
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top